glute side dents

Hello, I workout 5-6 days a week, 4 weight training sessions and 25 mins of cardio 5 to 6 days a week. I eat 2,000 calories and weight 104 lbs, 5 foot 1 inches. I have these ugly indentations in the sides of my glutes that detract from the round big butt I want. From the sides it looks fine but looking straight behind me my bottom looks square and small. I do not like this I do not know what I can do to fill these dents in. I know I have a lower body fat percentage now that I ever have, but I do not want to start gaining a bunch of weight because it is going to go to my stomach first. I am not sure if there are certain exercises I could do to fill this in, Anyone else have this problem or have been able to fill these in? Any help is appreciated! Thank you!!

Replies

• EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    just pack more muscles on the glutes. Soon, you are a hard *** and the dents do not matter (or not soon, depending on fitness regimen and your willpower).
  • kassie212
    kassie212 Posts: 18 Member
    whats the best way to do that? I already do weighted hip thrusts, squats, lunges, kickbacks, and leg presses.....
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    kassie212 wrote: »
    whats the best way to do that? I already do weighted hip thrusts, squats, lunges, kickbacks, and leg presses.....

How much weight, how often, how many reps? Are you on a progressive program designed to strengthen the glutes? You should be looking at making the glutes stronger, and so progressing to either more reps or more weight consistently. You might see better progress on a pre-designed plan. Bret Contreras has a book strong curves, but he also has a ton of free programs on his blog and on t-nation. That would be a good place to start.
  • LovelyMarie774
    LovelyMarie774 Posts: 49 Member
    Try lateral tube walks, skaters, and cross over dumbbell step ups. They all target the sides of your butt.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Isn't it partly genetic?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Bret Conteras is definitely the glute man, but exercise can only go so far, genetics plays a role as well.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I am working on building my glutes and noticed that I have them too.. *sigh* look up Isabella Falconi, she has them as well (only when she flexes a certain way) which leads me to believe they are normal in some women's anatomy. I don't know if they will completey go away even with gaining (which is what I am doing now, they seem to be getting more apparent actually). Buh...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    You mean like dancer dents? When did that become a bad thing? Or are we talking about something else?
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I am working on building my glutes and noticed that I have them too.. *sigh* look up Isabella Falconi, she has them as well (only when she flexes a certain way) which leads me to believe they are normal in some women's anatomy. I don't know if they will completey go away even with gaining (which is what I am doing now, they seem to be getting more apparent actually). Buh...

7f7a61ffb817714617cdb1ee3f5a0f19.jpg

Still very nice.

Keep building that butt.

• sardelsa

Still very nice.

Keep building that butt.

YES! This is exactly what I have ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

Still very nice.

Keep building that butt.

Wow. How times have changed. :smile:
  • auddii

Still very nice.

Keep building that butt.

Oh, if that's what the OP is talking about, um those are supposed to be there; it's part of the muscle definition.

Exercises can optimize what you have, but as others have said, genetics plays a big role. Perhaps you are seeing flaws that aren't really there?
  • kassie212
    Yeah that's what I have, I am doing as much weight as I can, I am not that strong. lol I can do more reps to build muscle? I thought it had to be more weight not reps? No? THat woman looks great! She prob doesn't have a squareish looking butt from behind though.... ickkk!!!
  • Ginger046
    Ginger046 Posts: 204 Member
    I call them butt-dimples... I used to have them when I weighed less and danced more!
  • kassie212
    Im not looking to be super muscular.... just want a nice round bottom, my husband says I look great but I feel for as hard as I work on my glutes they should be alot bigger! ;-)
  • kassie212
    auddii... oh no... they r there lol I wish they weren't haha
  • sardelsa
    auddii wrote: »

Still very nice.

Keep building that butt.

Oh, if that's what the OP is talking about, um those are supposed to be there; it's part of the muscle definition.

Exercises can optimize what you have, but as others have said, genetics plays a big role. Perhaps you are seeing flaws that aren't really there?

Glad to hear they are normal, when I saw them I was definitely over analyzing things for sure... I was initially worried because I thought I was forgetting to work a muscle or something (haha), then looked up the anatomy and realized that can be normal especially seeing other fitness models, dancers among others rockin their dents ;)

OP, as others mentioned, definitely look up Strong Curves or anything by Bret Contreras.. highly recommend !
  • auddii
    kassie212 wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I have, I am doing as much weight as I can, I am not that strong. lol I can do more reps to build muscle? I thought it had to be more weight not reps? No? THat woman looks great! She prob doesn't have a squareish looking butt from behind though.... ickkk!!!
    You can progress by adding reps, but there's a point where it reaches a limit. For example, if you did 50lbs for 5 reps, then the next time 6, then 7, then 8, then upped the weight to 60lbs at 5 reps, etc. that could be used as a good progression. If you do a low weight and you start with 30 reps and then go to 40 or 50, you will still be in a progression, but you're not as likely to see improvement from it.

Bret has a glute challenge that is rep based. You start at 3x8 and pick a weight you are comfortable with at that rep range. 4 weeks later you should be doing the same weight for 3x12.

t-nation.com/workouts/30-days-to-a-big-butt-great-squat
  • kassie212
    THanks auddii and everyone, you are all very helpful! And thanks for making me feel better lol