No motivation, how do you do it??????

Hi- So I have been married for almost two years now & I don't have any children, but I went from 125- now 160.
I also went from CNA to Bank Teller to Desk job which makes me snack all day out of boredom!!
I live in a small town so my lifes not all that exciting- my regular routine consists of mon-fri 8-5 work, dinner, tv, shower, bed. I know-BAD, but Its so hard to even admit that it has changed me :(
How did you get started? I barely downloaded this app with hopes that maybe Ill have a little motivation without spending so much money on videos & such.
I have friends that work out & stuff but I always had a bad mind set that nah, I can eat what I want I'm good. I had convinced my self that I was okay until my clothes is not fitting right I cant even wear a cute dress without showing of my belly I have to cover with looser fitting shirts so when I sit down I don't get embarrassed.
I'm on day # 2 with Jillian Michaels, & trying to eat healthy but I just don't know.........

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited November 2014
    If you want to lose weight badly enough, you just do it. Getting started is the hardest part. Once you get into an exercise regimen, you won't want to stop working out.

Other tips I have are:

1) Log accurately and honestly.
    2) Buy a food scale and weigh everything you consume.
    3) Take measurements.
    4) Drink enough water each day.
    5) Don't eliminate an entire food group unless you have a medical condition which requires doing so… eat in moderation.
    6) Since you have a desk job, take the stairs instead of the elevator. Don't park close to the store- park in the way back of the parking lot so you get extra steps in.
    7) Depending on your endurance/stamina, Jillian Michael's might be too difficult for you. Start out with something light like a walk.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I'm going to spruik my own blog here, but here's an answer I prepared earlier:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Alatariel75/view/a-slowly-changing-mindset-or-why-motivation-is-not-what-i-need-668330
  • jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Once you get started and lose a few pounds maybe that will keep you motivated. The MFP community is very helpful and friendly. Stay positive !
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    One thing that got me started was realising how much time I wasted watching mind numbing tv... How much of the TV do you watch is actually worthwhile entertainment? I found most of what I watched was plain dull and was just a means of whiling away the evening... What a waste eh! Now if I find myself watching something that fits in this bracket I have a deal with myself that I can go back to watching once I've burnt some cals exercising. When I go to snack on junk I remind myself of how bad I felt when I could no longer fit into my favourite shirt, or how good it felt when I lost my first stone! I tell myself the junk food will be gone and long forgotten within 1 minute of eating it, but the feeling of being leaner and fitter is with me constantly. Each to their own of course, but these couple of things, along with finding MFP in the first place really helped me.. Always up for more friends if you want to share posts /ideas, I find seeing other people sticking to their goals really helps me with mine.. Good luck
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Hi. We all have to start somewhere and you have come to the right place. It is hard to get started but if you just make small changes they will lead to bigger ones as you go on. This site is a great place to start.

First thing I did was to log everything and I mean everything that I normally ate for a week or two. I was a bit horrified to realise how many calories I was consuming. Then I set about making some adjustments to lower my intake. Portion size was my worst area. This gave me a starting point and I just aimed to keep within the goal set by MFP.

Then I started going into the forums and reading all the advice, good and bad and used the good stuff to help me adjust my diet and fitness regime. I started losing weight. Logging in every day, making friends, getting great advice and encouragement made it so much easier than doing it on my own.

Don't look for quick fixes.
    Lift Heavy plus some cardio. (worked for me)
    Stick to a reasonable deficit (don't restrict your calories too much)
    Check out the success stories and read the forums to keep you motivated if others can do it so can you.
    Don't quit

I am sure you can do this and MFP will help a lot. Good luck.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    One of the analogies that gets thrown around quite a bit on this site is: how do you make yourself go to work every day? It's kind of the same mindset - it's important so you do it. You just need to convince yourself that changing your lifestyle (moderate eating / increased activity) is important enough to make it a priority.

Good luck!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    You seem to have two different challenges.
    1. Boredom with your life and routine.
    2. Going from 125-160 and the associated issues.

Wont really comment about 1, but write down a list of changes you would like to make, interests, ambitions, fun things you enjoy doing and places youd like to visit, things you enjoy doing or would like to learn and then figure out how to get from A ro B.

The weight loss is where the site comes in. If you read the stickies and learn about weight loss then you will be in a good position of knowledge to understand how it works and the importance of the deficit created by burning more than you consume and moving more. This will give you weight loss.

If thats what you want, then maybe write down all the things you think weight loss will give you and they can be reasons that might inspire or push you. Baby steps and short term goals are great ways of getting you started. I get the feeling that you are unsure because you dont have the surefire knowledge if you can do it or even whether you want to put up with it?

I can say if you burn more energy than you consume by eating less and moving more then you will lose weight.

If you prepare properly and consistently do the above every day for a number of weeks/ months then you will get to your target weight, just like the thousands that use this site.

Along the way you will have challenged yourself, learnt about weight loss, nutrition and maybe done some exercise that are all excellent skills for your future wellbeing. By achieving target then it will probably give you more self confidence that you have conquered such a challenge , you get to wear the clothes you like etc.

The motivation has to come from you, but theres nothing to stop you losing weight once you decide to commit and can deal with everything else that comes with making some lifestyle changes. Learn what its about and that should give you a better idea ,focus and believe that you can make the change.
  • gcwillig
    gcwillig Posts: 71 Member
    edited November 2014
    FatFree has given you great tips.

From a "newbie" (I have only been on MFP 60 days) I have to say the motivation has to come from within. I am 46, married for 28 years and 2 kids (23 and 16 yo). I could have stayed morbidly obese for the rest of my life and my Hubby and kids would never have spoken a word about it. They love me for who I am. I, on the other hand hated my body, my weight, and the limitations that it put on my life. I have a happy life, but knew that I needed to make changes in order to really enjoy it.

I wake up at 530am every morning, yes, 7 days a week and get on the treadmill for an hour. Do I want to? No. Does it physically hurt? Yes. Do I force myself to do it anyway? Yes. Do I weigh, measure and log EVERY bite that goes in to my mouth? You bet I do. Why? Because I am worth it. Wanting to live a longer, fuller, happier life is all the motivation I need. You must find that want/need within yourself.

You are worth it.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    If you're not sure - you could just try logging your calories anyway even if you aren't dieting yet. I'd be really surprised if when you start having to look at what exactly you're eating and how the calories add up that you won't be spontaneously motivated to start changing your eating habits.

I force myself to log my bad days or special holidays, etc. so I'm forced to acknowledge them and see what would happen if I made it a habit out of doing that.

I originally got on MFP for moral support for my wife without any big intentions about where I was going with it but it caught a hold of me and my weight is going down steadily and I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner.

Just try it, I'll bet you can't help but catch on so long as you stay honest with yourself and your logging.
  • mumma2boyz
    mumma2boyz Posts: 109 Member
    Getting started is the hardest part. I always tell people not to shock the system. If you turn on the light switch to be healthy, you will just as easily turn it off when you get discouraged. List your goals and take it one week at a time. This is not a diet. Not a quick fix. Who cares if it takes you three months to go from couch potato to fitness machine. What do I mean by this? For example, if you don't drink water, spend a whole week focused on incorporating water into your day. If you don't eat breakfast - and you should - then spend a whole week forcing yourself to eat breakfast. Even if it's not healthy. Next week your goal can be to up your game and eat a healthy breakfast. And don't try to eat healthy and work out the first week. It's too much at first. Take some time and just focus on your eating. It's a lot of work to learn how to eat right. Once you get that down pat, start moving your body. 80% of weight loss is what you out in your mouth anyway.
  • Ewok31
    Ewok31 Posts: 45 Member
    I look in the mirror naked all the motivation I need
  • thanks everyone for all the great advice! I will surely try to incorporate a lot of it, & I do appreciate it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Here's a fresh video from ted that provides some insight on how differently we see our worlds.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/emily_balcetis_why_some_people_find_exercise_harder_than_others
    If you don't like the way your life is, you can choose to change it up or do nothing. Both are choices. I think you could accomplish a lot by starting to log what you eat (to get some insight), and adding a few activities you enjoy to your week.
  • jgnatca wrote: »
    Here's a fresh video from ted that provides some insight on how differently we see our worlds.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/emily_balcetis_why_some_people_find_exercise_harder_than_others
    If you don't like the way your life is, you can choose to change it up or do nothing. Both are choices. I think you could accomplish a lot by starting to log what you eat (to get some insight), and adding a few activities you enjoy to your week.

I will definitely check it out- Its so scary what I actually eat gah! eye opener!
  • i think the most important thing is to have an ultimate reason for wanting to lose the weight.

The next challenges in motivation are:
    1. Finding foods within your calorie needs that are satisfying
    2. Finding exercises that you enjoy

My tips:
    1. Choose all natural and organic foods over regular, especially when it comes to frozen meals. More delicious and often more satisfying.
    2. Eat the foods you enjoy, but try to find ways to make them healthier. Honestly practically any food you cook at home is going to be easier than anything you can buy from a restaurant or fast food establishment.
    3. Similarly, smart swaps are great, like trading a higher calorie item for a lower calorie alternative, such as 80% ground beef for 93% or draining the fat.
    4. Choose exercises that fit into your lifestyle. If you wish you spent more time out and about, maybe you should take classes. If you prefer being a homebody after a long day, a workout video from the library may be your friend. Dont choose just one though or you may burn out. Additionally, multiple exercise types will work your body out in different ways.
    5. Choose at least one exercise that you have a way to track your improvement and develop goals to keep advancing. When I started doing 5K's, my first goal was simply to finish. Now I can jog the whole way and am determined to pick up the pace so that I can move up to a faster starting group!
    6. When you go out, look up nutritional data. It will help you make better choices.
    7. Don't ever feel like you have to give up the foods you love; just learn to fit them in.

The idea is that you're improving your life, so think about what would make it better for you!
  • i think the most important thing is to have an ultimate reason for wanting to lose the weight.

The next challenges in motivation are:
    1. Finding foods within your calorie needs that are satisfying
    2. Finding exercises that you enjoy

My tips:
    1. Choose all natural and organic foods over regular, especially when it comes to frozen meals. More delicious and often more satisfying.
    2. Eat the foods you enjoy, but try to find ways to make them healthier. Honestly practically any food you cook at home is going to be easier than anything you can buy from a restaurant or fast food establishment.
    3. Similarly, smart swaps are great, like trading a higher calorie item for a lower calorie alternative, such as 80% ground beef for 93% or draining the fat.
    4. Choose exercises that fit into your lifestyle. If you wish you spent more time out and about, maybe you should take classes. If you prefer being a homebody after a long day, a workout video from the library may be your friend. Dont choose just one though or you may burn out. Additionally, multiple exercise types will work your body out in different ways.
    5. Choose at least one exercise that you have a way to track your improvement and develop goals to keep advancing. When I started doing 5K's, my first goal was simply to finish. Now I can jog the whole way and am determined to pick up the pace so that I can move up to a faster starting group!
    6. When you go out, look up nutritional data. It will help you make better choices.
    7. Don't ever feel like you have to give up the foods you love; just learn to fit them in.

The idea is that you're improving your life, so think about what would make it better for you!

thank you, I take these into consideration.
  • BrittTomore87
    BrittTomore87 Posts: 37 Member
    Honestly I wasn't motivated until I had people telling me how great I looked and that they could tell I was slimmer. Until then I forced myself to workout everyday. Now I'm in love with running and it's just kind of a habit.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    If I'm not motivated, I don't do it. I've been very motivated. All I need to do is look at myself, lol. The fat is very motivating, as is knowing that I can lose it. :)
  • Suzettedl
    Suzettedl Posts: 30 Member
    Hi! I feel the same. Three kids and running around...really nothing to look good for. Then, I went to a concert. I realized I looked awful. I am going to schedule something fun to try to look good for. Maybe that will motivate me...and maybe it will motivate you too!
  • Honestly I wasn't motivated until I had people telling me how great I looked and that they could tell I was slimmer. Until then I forced myself to workout everyday. Now I'm in love with running and it's just kind of a habit.

I love running, I use to all the time.. I cant wait to get back on track its so hard