MFP features in Randomized Control Trial

yarwell
yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
"Effectiveness of a Smartphone Application for Weight Loss Compared With Usual Care in Overweight Primary Care Patients: A Randomized, Controlled Trial"
Brian Yoshio Laing, MD, MPH; Carol M. Mangione, MD, MSPH; Chi-Hong Tseng, PhD; et al.
Ann Intern Med. 2014;161(10_Supplement):S5-S12. doi:10.7326/M13-3005

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1935738 I don't have full text.
Results: After 6 months, weight change was minimal, with no difference between groups (mean between-group difference, −0.30 kg [95% CI, −1.50 to 0.95 kg]; P = 0.63).

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Thank you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    No difference. Ruh roh. Not what the investors want to hear.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    I saw that the other day.

I cannot believe that time and money were used to study that.

Anyone with any sense would not have needed any research to figure out that giving someone an app will not cause them to lose weight. The people need to ready to monitor calories...duh.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Stupid question, but did the patients WANT to lose weight? Did they ask for weight loss help. or did the researchers simply hand the app to anyone with a high BMI who showed up for a check-up? It's well known that until one's commitment level is high enough, change doesn't happen.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Well, MFP has helped me to lose weight, so I don't really care what a "study" says...
  • Nice!

Apparently the participants were encouraged to use the MFP social networking features.

Maybe the forums scared them away...... :p
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Pro tip: The fact that you own a hammer and some nails will not in itself build that shed.

Best analogy there!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Nice!

Apparently the participants were encouraged to use the MFP social networking features.

:laugh:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member

or confused the hell out of them and sent them to five different sites to determine ten different ways of implementing the plan.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I saw that the other day.

I cannot believe that time and money were used to study that.

Anyone with any sense would not have needed any research to figure out that giving someone an app will not cause them to lose weight. The people need to ready to monitor calories...duh.

Actually, I think this study provides some valuable information. There is a school of thought that some people overeat because they don't realize how many calories they are eating. There are even frequent posts on here about it. And that laws requiring calorie information to be on labels or menus or posted in a restaurant will cause people to eat less. These results suggest that may not be true.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Pro tip: The fact that you own a hammer and some nails will not in itself build that shed.
    Exactly! Beat me to it!