How you do amp yourself for a lift?

dbmata
dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
I've read it.
Get mad. Get crazy. Amp yo self!

Yeah, well... if you lift, and lift heavy, how do you do that?

I need to cultivate that amp. I've spent 20 years working on keeping my emotions in check. Now to find they can be useful? Damn! heh.

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Cross my fingers. Say a prayer. As you can tell I bench with no spotter. Then I just go for it.
  • dbmata
    Cross my fingers. Say a prayer. As you can tell I bench with no spotter. Then I just go for it.
    HAHAHa, DEATH is your spotter, yes? lol.

My trainer can just go from a cool cat to an angry hulk the moment he touches a heavy barbell... I just can't. I'm all like hippy love and yoga pants. Meh.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Slipknot - Custer. As loud as she'll go. That should do it.
  • dbmata
    feralX wrote: »
    Noted, adding to spotify in my workout mix. I've ordered some smelling salts and a taser too.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    feralX wrote: »
    Noted, adding to spotify in my workout mix. I've ordered some smelling salts and a taser too.
    Lol. Yah that should about do it.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    I have anger issues. It helps :)
  • dbmata
    taunto wrote: »

lol, therein lies the problem. I actively try to keep all that bottled up. Dammit.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member

This. I go to the gym to save others from my wrath.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    Since I don't have anger issues, mines more about focus. I visualize the lift, grip the bar tighter, take a deep breath then grit my teeth. I feel it's weight and say "I'm Rick James" and b slap the reps away.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

lol, therein lies the problem. I actively try to keep all that bottled up. Dammit.

I keep it bottled up also, which is why when I workout, I unleash it on the workout. Its kind of my therapy.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

This for me too... as well as cranking up Twisted Sister. :P
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    db...shut up whinging and just pick the *kitten* up :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I don't find being angry helps me at all. It's a distraction and a waste of energy. I have horrible lifts when I wind up using anger.

I just focus and say get to work *kitten*. Don't be a fu**ing p*zay and do the work.
    Just show up and work. It's more successful and reliable than trying to summon emotions that may or may not be there all the time.
  • Abstraktimus
    Abstraktimus Posts: 213 Member
    I bottle everything up naturally, so when I'm angry; I compress it all and just imagine pushing it all into one spot in my stomach. When I come to lift, Iget in the zone a few moments before, I literally stand above the bar and bring everything up from that spot which results in me staring into one spot like a freak, I run everything through my head and pick that worthless piece of *kitten* bar up. This along side with music that I find pumps me up. Is a winning combination
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Geez... I've suspected this all along. I'm such a nerd lifter.
    I listen to books while I lift.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    I just tell myself - no doubt, no fear. Just me and the bar.

Everything else in my life gets shut away and there is nothing else in the world at that moment
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I don't find being angry helps me at all. It's a distraction and a waste of energy. I have horrible lifts when I wind up using anger.

I just focus and say get to work *kitten*. Don't be a fu**ing p*zay and do the work.
    Just show up and work. It's more successful and reliable than trying to summon emotions that may or may not be there all the time.

This is me as well. Anger is a distraction. I focus on what I'm doing at that moment. I've been told that when I'm competing, I look completely bored with what I'm doing, that my face is expressionless.

Like finding what program works best for you, finding your way to your mojo is an individual thing.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Like finding what program works best for you, finding your way to your mojo is an individual thing.

QFT!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    I have an external switch that I can flip right before a lift.