Two strength training questions...

12346»

Replies

• randomtai wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    I just don't understand how people say "if you don't use your muscle you'll lose it".

I lift heavy things without it being weights. I carry around crates with 12litres of liquid multiple times a day from one room to another. I walk a lot. That's movement. That's using my muscle.

Because muscle is used to move...isn't it??

I'm not sitting paralyzed in a wheel chair like a person with no legs or arms.

May I ask how old you are? The younger you are the less likely you are to notice any weaknesses.

If ever there was an excellent time to protect your future self.

Carry 12kg isn't heavy. Lifting 25kg isn't heavy. I don't think either weight will really help build or preserve bone density. My neighbor's daughter (8 year old) carries 22.7kg bags of soil when they work on their garden.

I'm sorry, but I call BS on that. I'm 19 and I can't carry 15kg, let alone 22. I refuse to believe an 8 year old girl can carry that much.

My 8 year old does. Sorry you are weak. You also chose to not do strength training.

Congratulations on your very strong eight year old. I'm happy the way I am, thank you very much. I've learned to like being weak and feminine.

Men of quality do not want a weak woman.

That seems a little judgmental. I happen to like needing help with lifting heavy objects. Granted, boyfriend thinks it's kind of silly, but I'm sure if I started lifting he'd feel slighted as a result.

If you think that was judgemental....

Lol. Wait til you read this.

A certain type of man wants a weak woman, one who cannot lift basic objects, or put up a fight when this certain type of man imposes their will upon the woman. A woman who must be cared for, treated as a porcelain dolly, or a coveted asset made of glass and to be directed when appropriate.

For some women, interestingly enough, that works.

Cast iron pot, a good swing...and a well planned out grave site is a good option. ;) especially in south africa. Lol

You gotta be able to pick up the cast iron pot to begin with. :laugh:

You honestly think I would suggest it if I couldn't?? Lol
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I just don't understand how people say "if you don't use your muscle you'll lose it".

I lift heavy things without it being weights. I carry around crates with 12litres of liquid multiple times a day from one room to another. I walk a lot. That's movement. That's using my muscle.

May I ask how old you are? The younger you are the less likely you are to notice any weaknesses.

Carry 12kg isn't heavy. Lifting 25kg isn't heavy. I don't think either weight will really help build or preserve bone density. My neighbor's daughter (8 year old) carries 22.7kg bags of soil when they work on their garden.

I'm sorry, but I call BS on that. I'm 19 and I can't carry 15kg, let alone 22. I refuse to believe an 8 year old girl can carry that much.

My 8 year old does. Sorry you are weak. You also chose to not do strength training.

Congratulations on your very strong eight year old. I'm happy the way I am, thank you very much. I've learned to like being weak and feminine.

Is this a serious post?
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member

QFT!

Pffft. Who needs men. :neutral_face: (no offence guys)

I'm just not interested in love I guess.

tumblr_lixm880aIQ1qb4x0io1_500.gif

Look at her glorious arms. Clearly not weak, yet beautiful and feminine! Hmmmm!!

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member

That seems a little judgmental. I happen to like needing help with lifting heavy objects. Granted, boyfriend thinks it's kind of silly, but I'm sure if I started lifting he'd feel slighted as a result.

SMH!! My husband loves the fact that if I want the furniture rearranged, I do it. If I need something heavy brought up from the basement, I bring it up. If I need my tire changed, I change it myself. He loves that I don't sit there drying my nails and ask for a big strong man's help. He loves that I am strong enough to do things for myself, and this is something I am proud to teach my daughter. I would hate to have to depend on someone else to do things for me. That makes me sad for you.
  • farberry
    farberry Posts: 71 Member

So, you can equate weak with feminine, thereby judging and insulting women who are strong, but the statement you quoted seems judgmental?

giphy.gif

Not just insulting strong women! Insulting all women! Female does NOT equal weak thank you very much malavika413.... This thread is all so weird.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited November 2014
    Okay so 2 questions. When doing a lot of reps for strength training, does it matter if you do the sets close to each other or farther out? For example is it better to do all the sets in an hour with little rest time, or would it hinder progress if you do each set an hour apart?

Second, is there anything that can be done to recover DOMS faster except lots of stretching?

Oh and also ignore my ghost profile... I'm still here not deactivated =D

I'm no expert, and sure others have different, or even more informed opinion, but in response to your questions, and what I've learned/ read thus far;

1. Depends on your goals. Low reps with generous rest between sets is what's generally recommended when focussing on building strength. High reps with not much rest between those sets is the thing for endurance they say. Building muscle is somewhere in between, and the thing seems to be to focus on overloading those muscles, but not to the extent that you are doing endurance levels of work.

2. Can't really offer advice here, but have noticed myself that DOMS is worse at the start of a program when you are new to working out.

Re: bodyweight/ weights, it's all resistance imo, and if in doubt, just look at male gymnasts for example, whose upper bodies that rival any weightlifter are built mainly through manipulating their own bodyweight. I'm sure these guys do a little weighted exercise too, but I am just as sure most of it is from gymnastic practice as opposed to just lifting some iron.

Whatever your goals, I am sure with enough focus and work, it can be achieved with bodyweight or weighted resistance training. You will have to dig around harder to find as much material on bodyweight exercising these days, as aside from a wee renaissance in the last few years from what I can see, its still very much unpopular/ a lost art.

Some good sources out there though are Paul Wade (Convict Conditioning series), Al Kavadlo, and Nick Janvier (Startbodyweight.com, and previously Fitness666.com). Re: bodyweight/ calisthenics vs weights, I like Nick's writeup here - http://www.startbodyweight.com/2014/04/weights-vs-bodyweight-exercises.html

Good luck with however you go, and have no doubt you can achieve your goals with whatever form of resistance training you go for, as long as the program fits your goals, and you put in the work :smile:

By the way, if looking for a good program, or source of progressions, I like Nick's a lot, and am mostly doing his old 666 program.

Oh, you'll also find good info on Reddit, where there's a sub-reddit for startbodyweight (http://www.reddit.com/r/startbodyweight/).
  • farberry
    farberry Posts: 71 Member
    If your boyfriend feels emasculated by the thought of you becoming a bit stronger then that is really weird. Attraction based partially on the fact that he's physically stronger than you? Scary....
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Okay so 2 questions. When doing a lot of reps for strength training, does it matter if you do the sets close to each other or farther out? For example is it better to do all the sets in an hour with little rest time, or would it hinder progress if you do each set an hour apart?

Second, is there anything that can be done to recover DOMS faster except lots of stretching?

Oh and also ignore my ghost profile... I'm still here not deactivated =D
    Strength training involves low reps/heavy weight, so you might be confused. High reps is more hypertrophy, or endurance depending on how many. You might want to check into what type of program that will help at your goals.

Foam rolling will help with doms if you don't do stretching alone.

• kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    You can also try epsom salt baths for doms
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited November 2014

tumblr_m9h54kj8YT1ro2d43.gif

Femininity has nothing to do with weakness. Nice try though.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Strong women can be feminine. I just equate my own femininity with not being able to lift heavy objects. I like the fact that I need help, so I decided strength training would detract from my personal femininity.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Strong women can be feminine. I just equate my own femininity with not being able to lift heavy objects. I like the fact that I need help, so I decided strength training would detract from my personal femininity.

Well, I guess you won't be having kids because they'd be considered "heavy objects."

Sorry OP for derailing your thread. Glad to hear you found a PT you can work with :D It's definitely worth it, both in the short term and long term. :)

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    This thread reminds me of why I never show any interest in younger women.
  • bazarn
    bazarn Posts: 80 Member
    edited November 2014
    OP, do you have anyone who will strength train with you? I struggle with it too but like many others love the benefits from it so I persevere. It really helps to have a friend to suffer alongside me, lol. IT'S WORTH IT!!!
  • bazarn wrote: »
    OP, do you have anyone who will strength train with you? I struggle with it too but like many others love the benefits from it so I persevere. It really helps to have a friend to suffer alongside me, lol. IT'S WORTH IT!!!

Nope. Nobody interested in exercise oddly enough. But that's one of the reasons I hired the PT. Like I said he has a sense of humor which is something we have in common.
  • How would you all recommend the diet change for a bulk though? 21, female, 5'2, 61.7kg.

How much would I have to eat and what should my macro split be? (Can't believe I'm starting to count calories again...)
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited November 2014
    How would you all recommend the diet change for a bulk though? 21, female, 5'2, 61.7kg.

How much would I have to eat and what should my macro split be? (Can't believe I'm starting to count calories again...)

Add 100 calories to your maintenance, monitor progress. Rinse and repeat I suppose until you're getting where you want to be. Take your time with it. Lots of protein and fats. Carbs are good too I suppose...but just make sure you get 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean body mass but it is fine to go more.

Don't just eat everything in sight and lift. Dirty bulks like that will make you stronger but fat too...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

Being weak does not equal feminine. :laugh:
    166.gif

Bold comment needs to die.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    farberry wrote: »
    If your boyfriend feels emasculated by the thought of you becoming a bit stronger then that is really weird. Attraction based partially on the fact that he's physically stronger than you? Scary....

Well for some guys they would wonder how a woman would look to be stronger than them. Me personally I love a lady that lifts.