No motivation, how do you do it??????

2»

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    The motivation was in the mirror. I looked like crap and I was sick of it. I couldn't get cute clothes in my size. Photos made me barf. something had to give.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited December 2014
    I mean- I guess you can give up some dinner time AND some shower time. then you get workout time and perhaps more sleep time!

my 2 cents... for whatever they are worth (probably not 2 actual pennies honestly- but whatever)
    motivation has nothing to do with anything.

Motivation is the spark that starts change.

consistency and pure force of will and determination to the cause make it happen.

dont' rely on motivation- pick a goal- set a path- and follow the path.
    - let nothing stand in your way.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I mean- I guess you can give up some dinner time AND some shower time. then you get workout time and perhaps more sleep time!

my 2 cents... for whatever they are worth (probably not 2 actual pennies honestly- but whatever)

consistency and pure force of will and determination to the cause make it happen.

Basically all this. Losing motivation is a good excuse to quit doing a good thing, so don't rely on it. It's inconsistent, just like positive feedback from the scale is inconsistent. Sheer will and determination will keep you going. Do you need to be motivated to take a shower or brush your teeth every night? My best advice is to make yourself a routine and don't deviate from it.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »

^^^ This!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    i do it when Im not motivated AND when I am motivated.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Discipline>motivation.

Motivation is worthwhile; it makes things easier, but discipline gets results. The question is not how to stay motivated, but how to train yourself to carry on when you are not.

If you haven't already, try and find some active friends on here (add me if you like). I find accountability and sharing experiences helps a lot.
  • xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    When I first realized I had to lose weight, I was like 25 years old. I dieted, lost the weight and then stopped. I gained it back years later and dieted, lost weight and stopped. I gained it back and a few years ago joined MFP. I tracked food, dieted, lost weight, stopped and again gained it back. Why? Well, I now realize that tracking what I eat is a lifestyle change I must make from now on. This time around I've also added friends that help motivate me cuz they struggle like I do but they are losing weight! We learn from each other. Also, I've added exercise too. I'm doing an hour a day for 6 days a week and that's been great....if for no other reason, it buys me calories I can eat! In summary, I guess the motivation for me is knowing what the future looks like if I give up. I don't wanna be fat. I want to be healthy and look good. What's the alternative? It's not good! Good luck and surround yourself with friends on here and stay away from the bad stuff!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    “Everything you want should be yours:

the type of work you want;
    the relationships you need;
    the social, mental, and aesthetic stimulation that will make you happy and fulfilled;
    the money you require for the lifestyle that is appropriate to you;
    and any requirement that you may (or may not) have for achievement or service to others.

If you don’t aim for it all, you’ll never get it all. To aim for it requires that you know what you want” ~ Richard Koch