The every other day diet

For those interested, the official book is currently on a huge discount on amazon for the kindle version. $2.99!
http://www.amazon.com/Every-Other-Day-Diet-That-Lets-Weight-ebook/dp/B00CO79BW0/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1417457934

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Ugh. 500 calories every other day? I would NEVER learn to love salads that way.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Ugh. 500 calories every other day? I would NEVER learn to love salads that way.

It's all about choices! Some choose to create a deficit one way and some choose another...

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    That sounds awful.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    It's not for me, but oddly enough it doesn't sound as awful as it once did. I can see why some like it.

I enjoy logging for now, just like I enjoy doing calculations relating to my loss rate and TDEE and all that stuff and monitoring my sleep, but I can see why some would want a method that tends to create a deficit without all that.

Thanks, OP.
  • I'm trying it today. I have also done the 5:2 and lost weight very easily. The first round I did was easy as pie. The second round I could not shake desperate hunger so I gave up. Supposedly the every other day is easier because your body gets used to the calorie change up every other day because it operates on a 48 hour cycle but with 5:2 your body can't adapt - we'll see. Interesting the 5:2 claimed diet claimed that people didn't lose any more weight when they had a 3rd fast day yet the weight loss is slower on 5:2 than what I have seen on every other day. On the feast day they do say you can eat how much you want but I haven't experienced that. You have to eat 'normally' on that day meaning the calorie level that is a normal level for your current weight. If you eat all the calories you cut out the day before you won't lose weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I've been doing alternate day fasting for 2mths. It's the only weight loss method that has worked for me. Calorie restriction every single day is too hard :(
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    I've been doing alternate day fasting for 2mths. It's the only weight loss method that has worked for me. Calorie restriction every single day is too hard :(

Interesting - so maintenance calories one day and minimal calories the other? You just have to have willpower on the light days or does your body (/mind) get used to it?
  • Christine_72
    Hamoncan the longer I've been doing it, the easier it has become. It's gotten to the stage that I look forward to fast days.
    I have up to 500 calories on down days and 1550 on up days. I've only got 5kgs (11lbs ) left to lose, so have to be super strict. Once I get down to my goal weight I'll do 6:1 to maintain, meaning just one fast day a week.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    But will it sell books or get someone to the pay pal check out, that is the question.
  • Christine_72
    I can't argue with the wonderful results I've had.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    I would just find it too annoying. Once you have your routine set up and are prepared to exercise for the extras, then I have to think less. Whatever suits you, assuming you take the correct measures to make sure you get enough nutrition.
  • Christine_72
    Tigger I hope I'm getting enough nutrition. Right now I'm more focused on a calorie deficit than anything else. Unfortunately I'm not very well versed re: macros etc. My diary is public...
  • flinx1241
    flinx1241 Posts: 2,170 Member
    Thanks for that! I've been doing 4:3 for a little over a year now ("fasting" on M/W/F), so not quite EOD, but closer to that than 5:2. First time I've found a setup that really seems to work for me. Haven't gotten around to reading much on it, beyond the basic info to be found on the net, so this is definitely of interest to me. Cheers!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    On days when I'm not all that hungry, I could totally squeak by on 500 calories. But if it was a hungry day...I don't know.

This diet fascinates me and I love hearing how people feel on it, how much they eat on the Eat Big days and how it works for them, weight-losing. :)
  • Christine_72
    I'm on all the Facebook fasting groups. And the amount of posts I've read from people reversing their diabetes to their terrible bloods coming back perfect etc etc is astounding. I think the health benefits to fasting equal the weight loss benefits.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    I'm on all the Facebook fasting groups. And the amount of posts I've read from people reversing their diabetes to their terrible bloods coming back perfect etc etc is astounding. I think the health benefits to fasting equal the weight loss benefits.

You will also find that all of the homeopathy groups are curing their ailments and all the chiropractic groups are curing theirs. This is a selection bias, not evidence of efficacy.

• bananabeannn
    bananabeannn Posts: 110 Member
    While I'm not entirely sure where I stand on this yet, I'm trying it. Here's why, in case anyone cares:

Binging, I believe, is a result of restriction. As soon as I tell myself I am BAD for eating that cookie and I'm NEVER having a cookie again, or maybe I can have one when I get to a goal that I never hit, you're damn right I'm going to eventually 'mess up' and then 'have a cookie' cause I'm such a screw up and today is ruined and I'm going to start again tomorrow, for real this time. So, for me, if I can tell myself to 'wait until tomorrow' - I can manage that! And on my regular days, since I'm allowed to eat "basically" what I like, nothing is not "allowed" - I don't set up the binge cycle then either.

So, I've done one fast day so who really knows. I'm about to do a second one tomorrow. It really is about what works for you.

BB
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    While I'm not entirely sure where I stand on this yet, I'm trying it. Here's why, in case anyone cares:

Binging, I believe, is a result of restriction. As soon as I tell myself I am BAD for eating that cookie and I'm NEVER having a cookie again, or maybe I can have one when I get to a goal that I never hit, you're damn right I'm going to eventually 'mess up' and then 'have a cookie' cause I'm such a screw up and today is ruined and I'm going to start again tomorrow, for real this time. So, for me, if I can tell myself to 'wait until tomorrow' - I can manage that! And on my regular days, since I'm allowed to eat "basically" what I like, nothing is not "allowed" - I don't set up the binge cycle then either.

So, I've done one fast day so who really knows. I'm about to do a second one tomorrow. It really is about what works for you.

BB

I have achieved the mental aspects of what you are talking about just by pre-planning my meals. Sorry, can't have that cookie, it isn't on today's plan. If it is a cookie in the house, put it on tomorrow's plan. If it was a cookie at a party, bye-bye cookie.

Also, when I do go off the plan, I don't wait until tomorrow to get back on it. Once the cookie is gone, I get right back on the plan.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

That is an interesting diet. Fasting is almost a universal practice world wide so it must have some 'real' value. I will try to read how it has help cure diabetes.