I can't front squat or clean due to low wrist flexibility!

What can I do to safely increase wrist flexibility over time so I can front squat and power clean/hang clean eventually?

Replies

• Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Was thinking of just practicing the front squat position a bit every workout using a light bar...

Anything better than that?
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un1PDhrU3h0

This helped me a lot, don't worry about the guys crossfit t-shirt.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Here, watch this and implement.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I have wrist issues with front squats to ..

I actually do a modified version where I come up under the bar and grip it with both hands so that the bar is laying across my lower shoulder and then front squat that way ...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I work my wrists out with a small 5ish pound dumbbell or plate.
  • dbmata
    My wrists still aren't open enough, so I use lifting straps.

Takes a little practice, but gets you doing it until you resolve the wrist mo.

Front_Squat.jpg?1389297932
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

I do the same because of a swelling issue in my joints. Perfect as can be for me...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited December 2014

ETA: Nvm. Was misreading something.

• PikaKnight
    Approximately here (pic is obviously not me and I don't know why she's so shiny)
    i78kk6.jpg
    Placing it lower might help but I find that the bar rolls up while I'm squatting and gets closer to my neck as I go.
    rliyk4.jpg

Have you tried a cross grip instead? (Assuming you are using the same grip as the shiny woman in the picture :laugh: )

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    I do this because you don't need to have wrist flexibility to do it.
    1248.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    I've tried the cross grip and it actually makes the choking situation worse. If I have the arms too high, it'll roll back toward my neck, too low and it'll roll off of them.
    If I have it in my fingers, I can stabilize it a little more and get an extra rep out of it before I start coughing, but it still happens.

Instead of front squats, have you considered Zerchers?

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited December 2014
    I've tried the cross grip and it actually makes the choking situation worse. If I have the arms too high, it'll roll back toward my neck, too low and it'll roll off of them.
    If I have it in my fingers, I can stabilize it a little more and get an extra rep out of it before I start coughing, but it still happens.

You have it sitting too high up then. Should run across the top of your anterior delt. Use your crossed hands to press down and hold it into place.
  • dbmata
    Pair your zerchers with jeffersons, and you have quit the workout.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member

Dude, how do you like doing that versus crossing your arms?

*OP: Zercher Squats are no replacement for the Back Squat or Front Squat, they suck; let's not kid around about that. All they do is show how much weight you can cradle in your arms and squat. Front Squat or Back Squat have more carry over to every day functionality and athletics.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited December 2014
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Instead of front squats, have you considered Zerchers?

I have not-never even heard of them. Thanks! Will try it out.

Will also try pressing it down--if I keep having trouble, I'll take a picture and see if anyone has suggestions. I don't have much in the way of anterior delts to rest on. :)

There is a little notch for them to rest on- even if they aren't huge- you might just need to practice more.

Ultimately- if you're close to choking- that's about where it should be.

I personally use cross grip- I have a previously broken wrist that doesn't care for the standard grip- and I hate using straps and disliked it so much the first time I tried- I never bothered getting used to it.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I do this because you don't need to have wrist flexibility to do it.
    1248.jpg

I do the cross grip too. Not the most comfortable way but it's the only way I can do it.
  • AlinaRose17
    AlinaRose17 Posts: 92 Member
    ^^^^That is the best way that I have found to do them too. I don't do the eff-your-wrists nonsense.

Also, regarding Zerchers- I think they are primarily a squat that places a lot more emphasis on your core than some other variants.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited December 2014
    Hopefully OP benefits from this thread 10 months after s/he initially posted it

giphy.gif
  • dbmata
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Dude, how do you like doing that versus crossing your arms?

*OP: Zercher Squats are no replacement for the Back Squat or Front Squat, they suck; let's not kid around about that. All they do is show how much weight you can cradle in your arms and squat. Front Squat or Back Squat have more carry over to every day functionality and athletics.
    I prefer it. The cross grip I really find myself trying to crank down with my hands, using and wasting a lot of energy. For no real reason, just that I feel I have to.

With the straps, I know the bar is locked in, as long as I keep my elbows up and my body right. It lets me focus better on the lift, since there is one less concern.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Hopefully OP benefits from this thread 10 months after s/he initially posted it

giphy.gif

I'm sure that absolutely nobody else on this site would ever have the same problem and want an answer...