An obese nutritionist: would you be her patient?

Replies

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    AliceDark wrote: »
    How the nutritionist looks is far less important than how her other clients are progressing. Does she know her *kitten*, and can she help her clients? If so, I don't care what she looks like.

Except you can't actually know how the clients are doing...

Just like you can't actually know why she's obese.......

No but one can speculate and that is pretty much what this entire thread has been about.

Sure, but then we could go further ask ourselves if our assumptions are actually rational or if we looked at them critically if they can be justified.

Anything, rational or not, can be justified.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    How the nutritionist looks is far less important than how her other clients are progressing. Does she know her *kitten*, and can she help her clients? If so, I don't care what she looks like.

Why not? If she's been in business for awhile, she should have testimonials, success stories or before/after pictures.

Survivorship bias.

You're only going to be shown the happy outcomes.

And you have no way of knowing if those happy outcomes did it her way, or their own way.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    I have a friend who was morbidly obese for her entire life until her family hired a nutritionist. She was so inspired at how the lady helped people that she went to school and got her masters in nutrition. She's lost a lot of weight. She's still pretty big. She's great at her job.

And nutritionists and are only trying to help people learn what they SHOULD be eating. Everyone here should know very well that you can understand and give great advice while still struggling with your own demons. I have listened to and learned from many "fat" people on MFP. Just because they're not at goal doesn't mean they're not knowledgeable. And just because they are at goal doesn't mean they don't still struggle with the things that let them get big. It's less about how the girl looks and more about how much she can help you.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited December 2014

Why not? If she's been in business for awhile, she should have testimonials, success stories or before/after pictures.

Survivorship bias.

You're only going to be shown the happy outcomes.

And you have no way of knowing if those happy outcomes did it her way, or their own way.
    Absolutely true, but I'd have those questions whether or not the nutritionist was in shape. I'm just saying I wouldn't immediately rule her out just based on her weight -- I'd rather go to an overweight nutritionist with a demonstrable history of success, if she seemed to me to be knowledgeable, than a skinny nutritionist if she didn't have the same experience. If I'm paying you based on your ability to teach me something, I don't care as much if you can't personally follow the advice. I just care about how well you can get me to follow it.

• ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Most sport coaches are overweight and out of shape, but do they know how to coach and win games? Yes, they do.

Many surgeons are overweight and out of shape also, so are many healthcare workers. Does that mean that don't know how to do their jobs? No, it doesn't.

Yeah but professional coaches rely on a team of athletic trainers to get their athletes in gear.

A surgeon has specific skill sets, including scientific training, medical training and a steady hand. That doesn't mean they know anything about weight loss and nutrition. You are paying them for their ability to operate.

A better comparison is, would you go to a mental health professional who has mental health challenges.

well that's not fair- every person I know who works in psychology is effed up- that's one of the reasons they are in that field LOL.

+1 on this.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

No but one can speculate and that is pretty much what this entire thread has been about.

Sure, but then we could go further ask ourselves if our assumptions are actually rational or if we looked at them critically if they can be justified.

Yes, but not critically justified.

A person can use all sorts of justifications but if they do not stand up to critical analysis we can see them for what they may actually be: unfair bias or prejudice.

• Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014

Yes, but not critically justified.

Yes, critically justified.

"Critical thinking" can be used to justify anything from "1 + 1 = 1" to global thermonucleur war.

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Would you hire a plumber who can't get his own toilet fixed?

Can't, no

But there is a difference between can't do something, and hasn't chosen to do it. I am married to a plumber and I joke all the time that if I want the plumbing fixed I have to either do it my self or call and schedule time with him like every other one of his clients.

Just because you have the knowledge and ability to to something doesn't mean you will do it. Many people find they are better able to coach and direct other people than they are themselves.
  • Mr_Knight

Can't, no

But there is a difference between can't do something, and hasn't chosen to do it.

The problem is that as someone on the outside, you don't know whether it's a "can't" situation or a "won't" situation.

Hence...appearances matter.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

Can't, no

But there is a difference between can't do something, and hasn't chosen to do it.

The problem is that as someone on the outside, you don't know whether it's a "can't" situation or a "won't" situation.

I think we got that you judge by the cover.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member

It doesn't matter why she's obese. There are plenty of healthy-looking nutritionists out there, and most people don't have time to wade through back stories.

And that's why appearances DO matter....

Fair point.

But I'd still read her reviews on Yelp or similar sites and make a judgement based on that, rather than her weight.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member

Can't, no

But there is a difference between can't do something, and hasn't chosen to do it. I am married to a plumber and I joke all the time that if I want the plumbing fixed I have to either do it my self or call and schedule time with him like every other one of his clients.

Just because you have the knowledge and ability to to something doesn't mean you will do it. Many people find they are better able to coach and direct other people than they are themselves.

My thoughts, but better.

I'm also married to a plumber. My shower head has been broken just about a year, and the toilet isn't leveled.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    I know that anyone can have knowledge about anything. I mean, I was even a weight loss coach for a while and look at me now! Life happened and I got fat when I wasn't paying attention. Obviously I still have the knowledge though and am puting it to use to get my body back on point. But I'm under no illusions that a perfect stranger might not trust my infinite weight loss wisdom at my current weight. And I actually wouldn't expect them to trust my word about it at face value. Because I don't LOOK like I know what the heck in talking about.

Saying that even I probably wouldn't go to an obese nutritionist! I KNOW RIGHT!? But I'm very much about showing that you practice what you preach. I don't go to nail techs who have jacked up nails. I don't trust hair stylists who have horrible hair. I don't trust anyone's opinon on clothes who look like they got dressed blindfolded fishing in a dumpster. I don't trust overweight and sloppy personal trainers, etc. Well not "trust" but you know, they sure as heck wouldn't be my first choice and I would scrutinize everything they said extra hard. Why? Because you aren't showing me visual proof of all your knowledge applied to yourself.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Can't, no

In a world of finite time and infinite book choices, that is a legitimate way to choose.

Put another way - you're discriminating against professionals who not only talk the talk, but who walk it, as well. And when it's put that way....yeah, that's not exactly the rational high ground, eh? :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I would. I don't think people need to practice what they preach. If the information they give is sound, that is what matters.

I think the male OB/GYN is an excellent example.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    This question occurred to me when I watched a documentary on school nutrition, and the dietician who was being interviewed was obese. I'm a "practice what you preach" kinda person. I switched from a heart-attack-waiting-to-happen doctor to a trim, fit doctor who doesn't just hand out pills for everything. I doubt I would put much stock in a nutritionist who doesn't follow their own preaching.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member

Can't, no

My thoughts, but better.

I'm also married to a plumber. My shower head has been broken just about a year, and the toilet isn't leveled.
    Let's exchange numbers and maybe we can get things done in trade :smiley:
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I would. I don't think people need to practice what they preach. If the information they give is sound, that is what matters.

I think the male OB/GYN is an excellent example.

But if they're information is sound yet they're not taking the information that they know and doing something with it themselves why should I believe that what they're telling me works?

If you were looking to quit drinking would you go to your friend who, while they may have "sound advice" drinks on a regular basis? No. You'd probably go to AA and find someone who not only has sound advice but has been in your shoes and is practicing what they're preaching.

And I'll go even further to say that if I were to go to a nutritionist and she was previously heavy but now she wasn't it would say to me that whatever it is she is doing -- and hopefully will show me how to do -- is working.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    I'd giver her a shot - I picked my dietitian just because she was close. If she had been obese, I'd listen to her recommendations and see if they bore results. It's about me, not her. It helped me portion control and make better decisions about food, so even when I don't track super accurately, it is easier to maintain my weight because my view on food has changed. I only saw her three times though - I feel like she helped me significantly in that time (and work covers it, so really there wasn't anything to lose).

Like any professional (chiro, MT, physio), I take personal recommendations above all else. If someone asks me for a recommendation - it will be because she gave insightful thoughts, advice, and was real about where I was seriously lacking. Not because she was smokin' hot (she was!) and obviously takes care of her own body.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Can't, no

most of the world does- this is not a special snowflake situation.