An obese nutritionist: would you be her patient?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Would you hire a plumber who can't get his own toilet fixed?

Can't, no

But there is a difference between can't do something, and hasn't chosen to do it.

The problem is that as someone on the outside, you don't know whether it's a "can't" situation or a "won't" situation.

Hence...appearances matter.

I think we got that you judge by the cover.

most of the world does- this is not a special snowflake situation.

It is special he admits it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member

Can't, no

But there is a difference between can't do something, and hasn't chosen to do it.

The problem is that as someone on the outside, you don't know whether it's a "can't" situation or a "won't" situation.

I think anyone who doesn't admit that they judge a book by its cover in certain situations isn't being 100% truthful.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    PRMinx wrote: »

Can't, no

I think anyone who doesn't admit that they judge a book by its cover in certain situations isn't being 100% truthful.

Yup. Pretty much EVERYONE does it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

Can't, no

which is why I'd agree with yopeeps... it does make him a sepcial snowflake.- most people take the "moral high ground" and pretend they don't judge.

but I can tell you as a belly dancer- numbers don't lie- old fat dancers won't get nearly as many gigs as younger skinny ones. period.

• PRMinx

Can't, no

which is why I'd agree with yopeeps... it does make him a sepcial snowflake.- most people take the "moral high ground" and pretend they don't judge.

but I can tell you as a belly dancer- numbers don't lie- old fat dancers won't get nearly as many gigs as younger skinny ones. period.

Truth.
  • crystalnichle
    crystalnichle Posts: 126 Member
    yes, there could be health issues that cause her to be obese, like her thyroid.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

Can't, no

You are right but this is a situation I would not judge by how they look.
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    I must confess I stopped going to my counsellor for my eating disorder because she would spend the entire hour writing a food plan so I could eat what she does. Yes, she was morbidly obese and that is not encouraging.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I would. I don't think people need to practice what they preach. If the information they give is sound, that is what matters.

I think the male OB/GYN is an excellent example.

But if they're information is sound yet they're not taking the information that they know and doing something with it themselves why should I believe that what they're telling me works?

If you were looking to quit drinking would you go to your friend who, while they may have "sound advice" drinks on a regular basis? No. You'd probably go to AA and find someone who not only has sound advice but has been in your shoes and is practicing what they're preaching.

And I'll go even further to say that if I were to go to a nutritionist and she was previously heavy but now she wasn't it would say to me that whatever it is she is doing -- and hopefully will show me how to do -- is working.
    I went to the dietitian because I had a special diet and I needed answers about it.

I didn't need to know what she does. I didn't even care what she does. It has no impact on my health.

If you think that having a slender dietitian will help you, then that's what you need. I didn't. :)
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member

Can't, no

This is true - we all judge - it's innate. But hopefully we take a minute to apply some critical thinking to the judgement and act accordingly (not all judgements turn out to be correct, after all).

For the scenario described in the OP, if ALL I had to go on was physical appearance, I'd pick a thin nutritionist - but, I'd like to think I'd try to gather a little more information when making such a decision.
  • Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    No.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member

Can't, no

Of course people judge other people. That doesn't mean that they let that judgement define their interaction with that person. I often make snap judgements about a person, but let their actions adjust those judgements.
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    I wouldn't go to any nutritionist, so no.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member

Can't, no

But there is a difference between can't do something, and hasn't chosen to do it. I am married to a plumber and I joke all the time that if I want the plumbing fixed I have to either do it my self or call and schedule time with him like every other one of his clients.

Just because you have the knowledge and ability to to something doesn't mean you will do it. Many people find they are better able to coach and direct other people than they are themselves.

My thoughts, but better.

I'm also married to a plumber. My shower head has been broken just about a year, and the toilet isn't leveled.

Ah, but see, if I knew that, and I would if the analogy holds, I wouldn't hire him either.
    I'll just hire one of his many other competitors who don't appear unmotivated.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Most sport coaches are overweight and out of shape, but do they know how to coach and win games? Yes, they do.

Many surgeons are overweight and out of shape also, so are many healthcare workers. Does that mean that don't know how to do their jobs? No, it doesn't.

Yeah but professional coaches rely on a team of athletic trainers to get their athletes in gear.

A surgeon has specific skill sets, including scientific training, medical training and a steady hand. That doesn't mean they know anything about weight loss and nutrition. You are paying them for their ability to operate.

A better comparison is, would you go to a mental health professional who has mental health challenges.
    The prevalence of mental health challenges in mental health professionals is actually kind of disturbing.

• PRMinx
    Most sport coaches are overweight and out of shape, but do they know how to coach and win games? Yes, they do.

Many surgeons are overweight and out of shape also, so are many healthcare workers. Does that mean that don't know how to do their jobs? No, it doesn't.

Yeah but professional coaches rely on a team of athletic trainers to get their athletes in gear.

A surgeon has specific skill sets, including scientific training, medical training and a steady hand. That doesn't mean they know anything about weight loss and nutrition. You are paying them for their ability to operate.

A better comparison is, would you go to a mental health professional who has mental health challenges.
    The prevalence of mental health challenges in mental health professionals is actually kind of disturbing.

I'm starting to realize that. Wow.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    see- I wasn't crazy (well I mean- LOL- I am- but different)!!!!
    -
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member

Can't, no

But there is a difference between can't do something, and hasn't chosen to do it. I am married to a plumber and I joke all the time that if I want the plumbing fixed I have to either do it my self or call and schedule time with him like every other one of his clients.

Just because you have the knowledge and ability to to something doesn't mean you will do it. Many people find they are better able to coach and direct other people than they are themselves.

My thoughts, but better.

I'm also married to a plumber. My shower head has been broken just about a year, and the toilet isn't leveled.

Ah, but see, if I knew that, and I would if the analogy holds, I wouldn't hire him either.

Don't ever talk to a plumbers wife about what needs to be done at home, or you will never find a plumber to hire! Lol not even a little bit joking!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member

Can't, no

My thoughts, but better.

Don't ever talk to a plumbers wife about what needs to be done at home, or you will never find a plumber to hire! Lol not even a little bit joking!

Oh I'm well aware. I'm an electrician who has many code violations in his basement.
    I used to joke that I could tell a person's trade just by a quick glance around their house.
    Whatever seems to be the most neglected would probably be the answer.
    Actually, I think it's because you are so busy making everyone else happy, you leave yourself until last. I'm not sure if that would be true for our nutritionist, but hiring people is a subjective thing.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    I know that anyone can have knowledge about anything. I mean, I was even a weight loss coach for a while and look at me now! Life happened and I got fat when I wasn't paying attention. Obviously I still have the knowledge though and am puting it to use to get my body back on point. But I'm under no illusions that a perfect stranger might not trust my infinite weight loss wisdom at my current weight. And I actually wouldn't expect them to trust my word about it at face value. Because I don't LOOK like I know what the heck in talking about.

Saying that even I probably wouldn't go to an obese nutritionist! I KNOW RIGHT!? But I'm very much about showing that you practice what you preach. I don't go to nail techs who have jacked up nails. I don't trust hair stylists who have horrible hair. I don't trust anyone's opinon on clothes who look like they got dressed blindfolded fishing in a dumpster. I don't trust overweight and sloppy personal trainers, etc. Well not "trust" but you know, they sure as heck wouldn't be my first choice and I would scrutinize everything they said extra hard. Why? Because you aren't showing me visual proof of all your knowledge applied to yourself.
    Nail techs usually have messed up nails because it's difficult to do someone's nails with a perfect manicure yourself. Hair dressers don't generally do their own hair. If you live in a town with 2 hairdressers and one has messed up hair and the other has nice hair, I'd say go to the one with messed up hair. My husband is a contractor/carpenter. I keep threatening to hire someone to get stuff done here. But yet his customers are very happy with his work. I'll bet if they came to my house before hiring him, He'd be unemployed.