An obese nutritionist: would you be her patient?

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    No. If he/she can't practice what they preach why should I listen. It's like telling your child drugs are bad for them while I am sitting in front of them doing drugs. Oxymoron.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    No. If he/she can't practice what they preach why should I listen. It's like telling your child drugs are bad for them while I am sitting in front of them doing drugs. Oxymoron.

oxymoron is like "jumbo shrimp"

I think the word for which you are searching is
    "hypocrite"
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    "Those who can't do teach."

I've always had an issue with that quote because it pretty much sums up the problem in the school system.

A great example is taking business classes and being taught by someone who has never in their life run an actual business.

Well, the alternative is to have a business teacher who did have a business but was so unsuccesful at running it that ended up having to teach the subject. :huh:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »

oxymoron is like "jumbo shrimp"

I think the word for which you are searching is
    "hypocrite"

Do as I say not as I do.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Can a person that has never played in the NBA coach a NBA team?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Well I wouldn't go to a nutritionist anyway. Or a dietitian. But assuming I would, it wouldn't bother me... I mean, knowing what to do and having the willpower to do it are two different things entirely. I don't need him/her to have the willpower, so I don't see how it would be a problem.

It would be awkward though, I think.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Would you hire a plumber who can't get his own toilet fixed?

Can't, no

But there is a difference between can't do something, and hasn't chosen to do it. I am married to a plumber and I joke all the time that if I want the plumbing fixed I have to either do it my self or call and schedule time with him like every other one of his clients.

Just because you have the knowledge and ability to to something doesn't mean you will do it. Many people find they are better able to coach and direct other people than they are themselves.

My thoughts, but better.

I'm also married to a plumber. My shower head has been broken just about a year, and the toilet isn't leveled.

Ah, but see, if I knew that, and I would if the analogy holds, I wouldn't hire him either.
    I'll just hire one of his many other competitors who don't appear unmotivated.

Don't ever talk to a plumbers wife about what needs to be done at home, or you will never find a plumber to hire! Lol not even a little bit joking!

Oh I'm well aware. I'm an electrician who has many code violations in his basement.
    I used to joke that I could tell a person's trade just by a quick glance around their house.
    Whatever seems to be the most neglected would probably be the answer.
    Actually, I think it's because you are so busy making everyone else happy, you leave yourself until last. I'm not sure if that would be true for our nutritionist, but hiring people is a subjective thing.

So if you were to look around my house you'd think I was a house cleaner! LOL

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member

I've always had an issue with that quote because it pretty much sums up the problem in the school system.

A great example is taking business classes and being taught by someone who has never in their life run an actual business.

Well, the alternative is to have a business teacher who did have a business but was so unsuccesful at running it that ended up having to teach the subject. :huh:
    ha! true.

• chrissoares77
    chrissoares77 Posts: 24 Member
    Never. Its like going to a personal trainer that is obese. You should give your money to people to resemble what your goals are. They might have the Knowledge necessary but they have not applied it themselves. knowledge with out application is null.
  • LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    First, I wouldn't go to a nutritionist at all, but not taking on account what I just said: I would ask her about why she's obese... I mean, without sounding rude, if it's due to a medical issue or just for lack of self-control, then I would see if she inspires me enough trust to actually pay her to be my nutritionist.
  • goddessofawesome
    edited December 2014

I would much rather be taught by someone who did it and knows what they're talking about regardless of whether or not they ran it into the ground. There could be a myriad of reasons why businesses fail and said teacher who had a failed business might be able to let the students know what NOT to do. All business owners I know that have owned a business that may have failed is able to realize their error, pass on wisdom and not do what they did again. That IMO is better than someone who has never tried, never failed and has no clue.
  • goddessofawesome
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I would. I don't think people need to practice what they preach. If the information they give is sound, that is what matters.

I think the male OB/GYN is an excellent example.

Yes they should, to a certain extent.

Male ob what? What should he practice? Being a female?

Not surprised this was your response to the question.

There are male OB's out there. I had one and I left him because I didn't feel confident that he had my interests regarding my health at heart. I have no doubt my female one does. AND since it's a she, she can relate to -- and answer -- the questions I have.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    You cannot possible determine based on her gender alone that she has your best interests at heart.

It's reasonable to assume that she can relate more easily to you- but assuming that she has your best interests at heart is merely because you share the same plumbing is... naive at best.
  • JeffseekingV
    I'd let a female train me in the gym even though I could lift more than her. If she knows what she is talking about then it's fine
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    That IMO is better than someone who has never tried, never failed and has no clue.

How do you know the prof didn't fail due to dumb-assness and didn't learn a thing?

You're making an awful lot of assumptions...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Most sport coaches are overweight and out of shape, but do they know how to coach and win games? Yes, they do.

Many surgeons are overweight and out of shape also, so are many healthcare workers. Does that mean that don't know how to do their jobs? No, it doesn't.

Yeah but professional coaches rely on a team of athletic trainers to get their athletes in gear.

A surgeon has specific skill sets, including scientific training, medical training and a steady hand. That doesn't mean they know anything about weight loss and nutrition. You are paying them for their ability to operate.

A better comparison is, would you go to a mental health professional who has mental health challenges.

well that's not fair- every person I know who works in psychology is effed up- that's one of the reasons they are in that field LOL.

EVERY FREAKIN' ONE.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    This thread amuses.

Next thing, we'll see someone you should never go to a dentist with bad orthodontia work.
  • JeffseekingV
    There are a lot of drug consolers that were addicts before
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Most sport coaches are overweight and out of shape, but do they know how to coach and win games? Yes, they do.

Many surgeons are overweight and out of shape also, so are many healthcare workers. Does that mean that don't know how to do their jobs? No, it doesn't.

Yeah but professional coaches rely on a team of athletic trainers to get their athletes in gear.

A surgeon has specific skill sets, including scientific training, medical training and a steady hand. That doesn't mean they know anything about weight loss and nutrition. You are paying them for their ability to operate.

A better comparison is, would you go to a mental health professional who has mental health challenges.

well that's not fair- every person I know who works in psychology is effed up- that's one of the reasons they are in that field LOL.

EVERY FREAKIN' ONE.

What is that saying it takes one to know one.