An obese nutritionist: would you be her patient?

Replies

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    That IMO is better than someone who has never tried, never failed and has no clue.

How do you know the prof didn't fail due to dumb-assness and didn't learn a thing?

You're making an awful lot of assumptions...

They still have a clue as to what running a business entails regardless.

Devils advocate (and assuming you don't own a business): what do you know about it and what can you teach me?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    There are a lot of drug consolers that were addicts before
    Well, drugs need to be consoled sometimes. Imagine what it would be like to be the one bud left behind.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    That IMO is better than someone who has never tried, never failed and has no clue.

How do you know the prof didn't fail due to dumb-assness and didn't learn a thing?

You're making an awful lot of assumptions...

They still have a clue as to what running a business entails regardless.

That's another assumption. And a big one at that.
    Devils advocate (and assuming you don't own a business): what do you know about it and what can you teach me?

A lot, and everything.

But not for free. :)
  • goddessofawesome
    A lot, and everything.

But not for free

Trust me. I control several businesses and my husband has his own business so yeah. I too know a bit about what it takes. You're answer tells me you do not.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Do as I say, not as I do. Ah, the irony. Sometimes, after a long day of tending to everyone else's needs, you just want to go home and stress eat your heart out. Unfortunately, this happens allot in the health field and you see nurses, doctors, nutritionists, etc. balloon in size. I won't judge the nutritionist's knowledge on his/her looks. I'd follow them and see if it works. If it doesn't work, then I start to judge.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    A lot of the most successful business people have failed 99% of the time and succeeded 1%.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    edited December 2014
    I have not read all the replies...
    I can see why someone wouldn't want to. I wouldn't blame someone if they wouldn't want to see an obese nutritionist. However, I can tell you that I am obese and know a heck of a lot about nutrition, weight loss, etc. My knowledge level is not the issue, it's my ability to execute and follow through. So I know what I'm talking about, though I'm sure many would disregard my opinion based on the fact that I am still obese.

ETA: I'm not saying I know as much as a nutritionist does, or anything. LOL. Just that despite my size, I do know how to lose weight. I just have a self control issue that I'm working through.
  • goddessofawesome
    A lot of the most successful business people have failed 99% of the time and succeeded 1%.

Which again, my point is that regardless of whether or not they failed they still know how to create a business and would still be more qualified to teach a course on it than someone who has never, ever, ever created any type of business in their life.

I learned from people who have failed and I learned from those who have succeeded. Who I did not learn from is someone who had no clue as to what to do.

• Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014
    A lot, and everything.

But not for free

Trust me. I control several businesses and my husband has his own business so yeah. I too know a bit about what it takes. You're answer tells me you do not.

You're going to need a taller ladder...

high-horse.jpg
  • goddessofawesome
    A lot, and everything.

But not for free

Just stating a fact. If you know so much then I'm not sure why you wouldn't spread your knowledge out to others. The one thing entrepreneurs love to talk about is their business and how they failed or succeeded. No fee required.
  • Mr_Knight
    A lot, and everything.

But not for free

Just stating a fact. If you know so much then I'm not sure why you wouldn't spread your knowledge out to others. The one thing entrepreneurs love to talk about is their business and how they failed or succeeded. No fee required.

Oh dear...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    "Those who can't do teach."

I've always had an issue with that quote because it pretty much sums up the problem in the school system.

A great example is taking business classes and being taught by someone who has never in their life run an actual business.

Well, the alternative is to have a business teacher who did have a business but was so unsuccesful at running it that ended up having to teach the subject. :huh:
    ha! true.

Eh it's apples and oranges, IMO. I'm guessing the fat nutritionist isn't even applying what he/she knows.
  • JeffseekingV
    Why would a truly successful b
    A lot, and everything.

But not for free

Oh dear...

Are you saying all people that teach business have no idea what they are talking about? Because if to you, only a successful business person has the credentials to teach business, then there would be no business teachers. Unless they are so wealthy from it, they retired and teach as a hobby
  • Mr_Knight
    Why would a truly successful b
    A lot, and everything.

But not for free

Oh dear...

Are you saying all people that teach business have no idea what they are talking about?

I never said anything even remotely like that.

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    OP here.
    Wow. Lots of replies.
    FWIW, I would see any nutritionist with good references regardless of her personal appearance.
  • JeffseekingV
    Why are you only addressing part of my quote? Are you agreeing with the rest of it?

Then clarify how someone that teaches business gains credibility in your view. Remember, anyone successful in business most likely is going to be paid a lot more than a teacher or professor.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Yep. It's much easier to preach than to practice. Doesn't mean she/he doesn't know what they're talking about.
  • goddessofawesome
    rbfdac wrote: »
    Yep. It's much easier to preach than to practice. Doesn't mean she/he doesn't know what they're talking about.

No, but looking as though you take your own advice lends a bit of credibility. Would you go to a dentist who tells you how important oral hygiene is, that you have to brush and floss when they themselves have no teeth?
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    edited December 2014
    7elizamae wrote: »
    The title says it all: would you go to an obese nutritionist for weight-loss help?

This question came up in a group discussion -- there was disagreement. I said I'd post here and get some more opinions from the MFP board.

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!! she might tell me what not to do and sometimes its very har to practice what you preach.
    But im my own nutritionist and im fat. but myself and i are making it work
  • Mr_Knight
    edited December 2014
    Why are you only addressing part of my quote?

It's the only part that asked me a question.