I can't front squat or clean due to low wrist flexibility!

Replies

• jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    edited December 2014
    Ok well now I won't feel bad for asking this question... Didn't want to derail the OP. I have the hardest time performing hack squats. The heavier the weights get... I'm at the point now where it really stresses my back more than it should. My thighs get in the way! I've watched videos but I still feel like I'm not doing them right.

And yes, I'm thankful for the answers/suggestions to the front squat question. My wrists won't cooperate either.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Ok well now I won't feel bad for asking this question... Didn't want to derail the OP. I have the hardest time performing hack squats. The heavier the weights get... I'm at the point now where it really stresses my back more than it should. My thighs get in the way! I've watched videos but I still feel like I'm not doing them right.

And yes, I'm thankful for the answers/suggestions to the front squat question. My wrists won't cooperate either.

I'm not a fan of hack squats (or leg press). I think back squats, front squats, lunges, split squats, and deadlifts (all variations) do a great job with less stress. If you really want that focus on the tear drop part of the quads add in Peterson step ups.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    ^^
    same same and all good info

(with the exception of a leg press- we have one of those upside down bad a%% space ship ones- which is a way more functional press than a standard leg press.

I'll do those- I not a fan of the standard leg presses)
  • jesiann2014
    Honestly, I'm fine with dropping the hack squat from my routine. I never could get a natural feel for it. I will look into the split squat. Thanks (again) for the help.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Honestly, I'm fine with dropping the hack squat from my routine. I never could get a natural feel for it. I will look into the split squat. Thanks (again) for the help.

My question is what is / was the training purpose for having it in your training? What are your goals?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    My wrists still aren't open enough, so I use lifting straps.

Takes a little practice, but gets you doing it until you resolve the wrist mo.

Front_Squat.jpg?1389297932

Dude, how do you like doing that versus crossing your arms?

*OP: Zercher Squats are no replacement for the Back Squat or Front Squat, they suck; let's not kid around about that. All they do is show how much weight you can cradle in your arms and squat. Front Squat or Back Squat have more carry over to every day functionality and athletics.

Of course they aren't a replacement for Back Squats or Front Squats. I never said they were comparable in that regards. There's more to it than showing how much weight you can cradle in your arms but the reason I mentioned it is to provide an alternative to the person who was having issues with the front squat. I didn't mention back squat because I assumed it was probably something they were already doing or was using front squats to change it up a bit.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    And Pika is correct--I'm actually doing back squat in my profile pic. :)

I'll keep trying with the front squat--I can't do it if I'm going to keep choking like this, but I have a non-oly bar laying around and I can give that a go to see if I can get the hang of it.
    Yeah, about that.

Might not want to lean forward like that.
  • usmcmp

I'll keep trying with the front squat--I can't do it if I'm going to keep choking like this, but I have a non-oly bar laying around and I can give that a go to see if I can get the hang of it.
    Yeah, about that.

I have to agree with this. Upright torso. Try keeping your elbows under the bar to help correct that.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Set up doesn't look great but in the hole isn't that terrible. but it looks like your back is still rounded which is a no no
    17d91dfca11df381ba0d6ca580b8b3583569.jpg
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    another cross-arm person here. i find it more comfortable for the wrists. and just to echo, if you're hitting your throat, the bar is placed incorrectly.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    My wrists still aren't open enough, so I use lifting straps.

Takes a little practice, but gets you doing it until you resolve the wrist mo.

Front_Squat.jpg?1389297932

Dude, how do you like doing that versus crossing your arms?

*OP: Zercher Squats are no replacement for the Back Squat or Front Squat, they suck; let's not kid around about that. All they do is show how much weight you can cradle in your arms and squat. Front Squat or Back Squat have more carry over to every day functionality and athletics.
    I prefer it. The cross grip I really find myself trying to crank down with my hands, using and wasting a lot of energy. For no real reason, just that I feel I have to.

With the straps, I know the bar is locked in, as long as I keep my elbows up and my body right. It lets me focus better on the lift, since there is one less concern.
    Exactly get those elbows up and away you go. I believe I was popping 240-250ish by my third time using the straps. Much more comfortable for me and has my mind extremely confident on where I'm at with my form.
  • jesiann2014

My question is what is / was the training purpose for having it in your training? What are your goals?

I have a list of exercises to choose from for leg day including but not limited to (I don't have the list in front of me at the moment) back squat, front squat, hack squat, lunge, Romanian DL, etc.
  • dbmata
    ok, but what is the purpose for having it in your training? What are your goals?
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    All I wanted to say is that with a lot of work, they do get better over time. I suffered a significant wrist injury in September 2013 and I am still fighting the flexibility and pain issue in catching cleans and to some extent snatches. However, with consistent stretching and strengthening, front rack squats and lunges are no problem and handstand work longer than a minute is possible. A year ago I would have never believed I could do front squats for reps without tremendous pain. I just started working various wrist stretches I found on You Tube and using small dumbbells. Keep at it!
  • jesiann2014
    ok, but what is the purpose for having it in your training? What are your goals?

Well obviously I'm aiming to get stronger, more fit, to work muscles that day to day living doesn't stress significantly. But at the same time I'm learning proper form. With just about every other lift, my form has improved and I found that sweet spot. You know, where the move feels right and targeted muscles are stressed.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    I just keep strecthing my wrist using the bar with a little weight in the front squat position. That will, over some time, allow you to get your wrist flexibility up. As for an alternative, when I broke my wrist I did zombie squats.
  • dbmata

Well obviously I'm aiming to get stronger, more fit, to work muscles that day to day living doesn't stress significantly. But at the same time I'm learning proper form. With just about every other lift, my form has improved and I found that sweet spot. You know, where the move feels right and targeted muscles are stressed.

How is that obvious? You might be training for hypertrophy or muscular endurance, or power. It's only obvious once you state it.

What is day to day living? Someone working on a farm is going to have different day to day needs for strength than someone who is housebound. So you're training to train, which is fine, and plenty of folks do it. However, that doesn't address why the front squats are in the program. As you're not training to a specific need, there's not really a reason why you must have them. If you like them, great, but apparently there is no real need for you to kill yourself trying to get the rack right.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »

Yeah, about that.

I have to agree with this. Upright torso. Try keeping your elbows under the bar to help correct that.

I find if I feel excessive pressure from the bar on my neck, I am also leaning too far forward. The big reason I put them in my rotation was for this very reason. The front squats help me que(sp?) my squat better.
  • jesiann2014
    Thank you dbmata for your input.
  • usmcmp

How is that obvious? You might be training for hypertrophy or muscular endurance, or power. It's only obvious once you state it.

What is day to day living? Someone working on a farm is going to have different day to day needs for strength than someone who is housebound. So you're training to train, which is fine, and plenty of folks do it. However, that doesn't address why the front squats are in the program. As you're not training to a specific need, there's not really a reason why you must have them. If you like them, great, but apparently there is no real need for you to kill yourself trying to get the rack right.

First of all, she was having issues with the hack squats, not front squats.

There's no reason to avoid something entirely if you struggle with it. Even if she's just working out to work out. Even if she's not following a program with a specific goal. I find great value in working on things I struggle with, even if it was hack squats. I think at this point it would be a wise move to not do them for a bit and build up the other lifts. She may come back to hack squats later and realize that foot positioning was off or that her lower back was weak and that working on other lifts helped her with hack squats. She may also find that barbell hack squats just work better for her.

My suggestion is that she picks a goal and a specific program to follow for a while. She'll probably see a bit more progress towards her goal that way.