Good news for people who like eating fat!

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Yeah, I saw that flag and thought to myself, "Man, the passive aggressive kids should just go to school and gtfo."
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    Of course there is the matter of level of processing based on manufacturer. For example, piloncillo is a product that I would consider to be essentially raw. Then you have white sugar from C&H which has gone through a multitude of processes in order to purify the sugar as much as possible.

Does that change the nature of the sucrose being eaten? I'd say no. It does remove any synergists that may be present in the whole fruit/grass/vegetable being used for sugar production. Is that a bad thing? No. Is that a good thing? No. Is that a thing? Yes.

Ultimately, it's not a big deal.

Precisely.

It is a big deal to some who feel they'd like to get away from what they view as excessive processing. Not a terrible goal. If it works for them. But for me, life is complicated enough without adding the removal of (what I view as) harmless conveniences from my life.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    baconslave wrote: »
    What the thread wanted was the "processed" demon. They're falling down on the job with their trolling.

Hmm. Actually it was the "natural" demon, although that IS related, of course. And I really don't think I'm a troll, given that it was my silly throwaway comment that started this nightmare. It was responsive to something in the thread too, but there were several sugar ones that I was reading at the same time (I'm addicted to sugar threads!), so it's possible I conflated a couple.

Anyway, I agree that this thread should get back to fat. Had any good bacon lately?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What the thread wanted was the "processed" demon. They're falling down on the job with their trolling.

Hmm. Actually it was the "natural" demon, although that IS related, of course. And I really don't think I'm a troll, given that it was my silly throwaway comment that started this nightmare. It was responsive to something in the thread too, but there were several sugar ones that I was reading at the same time (I'm addicted to sugar threads!), so it's possible I conflated a couple.

Anyway, I agree that this thread should get back to fat. Had any good bacon lately?

Mmm, bacon; something we can all agree on.

Bacon question: so I understand the "point" of uncured bacon, but what is the difference flavor-wise. Anyone know? I've seen it at trader joe's but never picked it up.
  • baconslave

I didn't accuse you of trolling. You are keeping up with a rational discussion. I might possibly have maybe insinuated that those who are trying to make this thread out to be one demonizing sugar, by dropping references to that effect, are trolling.

And you are right, I shouldn't have left Mr. Demon Naturale out. He's likely to retaliate. Bad juju.
  • baconslave
    My husband is a bacon-cheapskate. He only gets the bargain bacon, which is a tragedy.
  • dbmata
    My husband is a bacon-cheapskate. He only gets the bargain bacon, which is a tragedy.

You should teach him to make bacon. Then he'll make bacon for you. I'm making my year's bacon here soon. Going to do half a dry aged, and the other half a normal unsmoked bacon.
    It is a big deal to some who feel they'd like to get away from what they view as excessive processing. Not a terrible goal.
    IF properly applied. There is a huge difference between a staple like sugar or flour, as compared to a box of hamburger helper, campbell's soup, or gluten free sourdough bread. (I didn't know that was real until a month ago I saw it at Safeway.) Most of the "I can't eat devil foods" is because a lot of people have been caught up in some savvy and profitable marketing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

So back to my farm fetish (uh, that could be taken to mean something else entirely), I have been eating less bacon than I used to, because when I priced out the gorgeous thick strips based on the likely best entry (although I know it's a guessing game), the calories definitely put it in the only once in a while category. There was some quite reasonable calorie bacon (pork, not turkey, of course) that I used to buy that would have fit into my calories quite well, but it's true it wasn't really the Platonic ideal of bacon. But still.

I don't currently regret this, but some day I might decide to buy some of that stuff again and see how it is.

On the "natural" or "processed" topic (such as it is), I often think of this kind of thing when people insist that processed food has more calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited December 2014
    auddii wrote: »

I had some good bacon over the weekend, but I couldn't tell you the last time I had it before that. I don't really understand the obsession with bacon. It's good, but when it comes to meat, and espeically pork, there are SO many better options IMO.

But I disagree that this thread demonized anything. There were discussions about stevia and sugar and sucrose and processing and natural, but I don't remember anyone saying any of it was evil or bad.
  • dbmata
    I had some good bacon over the weekend, but I couldn't tell you the last time I had it before that. I don't really understand the obsession with bacon. It's good, but when it comes to meat, and espeically pork, there are SO many better options IMO.
    Go on.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Go on.

Pork tenderloin, baby back ribs, spare ribs, thick cut pork chops, fresh (uncured) ham. Is that what you meant? Those are my favorites when it comes to pork.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Go on.

Guanciale? Benton's Country Ham?

• baconslave
    edited December 2014

You should teach him to make bacon. Then he'll make bacon for you. I'm making my year's bacon here soon. Going to do half a dry aged, and the other half a normal unsmoked bacon.

Definitely something to look into.
    It is a big deal to some who feel they'd like to get away from what they view as excessive processing. Not a terrible goal.
    IF properly applied. There is a huge difference between a staple like sugar or flour, as compared to a box of hamburger helper, campbell's soup, or gluten free sourdough bread. (I didn't know that was real until a month ago I saw it at Safeway.) Most of the "I can't eat devil foods" is because a lot of people have been caught up in some savvy and profitable marketing.

Good point. I'm not of that species of people so I'm pretty immune to marketing for the most part. Very cynical. So I ignore it. I don't relate to those who fad.

auddii wrote: »

But I disagree that this thread demonized anything. There were discussions about stevia and sugar and sucrose and processing and natural, but I don't remember anyone saying any of it was evil or bad.

I love bacon. Not as much porkchops. It's something about the crisp and the fat and the meat together.

No there really weren't any genuine demons invoked. I was just trying to point out what was really existent in the thread and what was clearly a fabrication by a few trying to start nonsense.
  • hupsii wrote: »
    Moderation is key - too much fat can give you colon cancer
    WTF.LMAO
  • dbmata
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Go on.

Guanciale is good, I make a dry aged version. As for Benton's never tried their brand, however I am currently prepping a country ham (the first one I made, aged 2 years at this point.) for Friday night.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Go on.

Guanciale is good, I make a dry aged version. As for Benton's never tried their brand, however I am currently prepping a country ham (the first one I made, aged 2 years at this point.) for Friday night.

I am also a big fan of Speck

• Need2Exerc1se
    Go on.

When you say country ham, do you mean that ultra-salty cured version of ham? That's what is known as country ham where I live and it's horrid. I can taste nothing but salt.
  • dbmata
    Go on.

When you say country ham, do you mean that ultra-salty cured version of ham? That's what is known as country ham where I live and it's horrid. I can taste nothing but salt.
    Yes, cured with salt, molasses, brown sugar, black pepper. Lightly Smoked. Butchered in the fall of 2012. Put on salt in the winter, soaking now.

They're salty, but you gotta soak them, then boil and roast them.

Acg - Speck is good, as is westphalian style ham. Just no experience making them.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Mmmm....špek...

slider-img9.jpg
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    in4 some fatty pork products! Been crushing some smoked pulled pork recently! <3