Need a good hard slap in the face? Find out where you are on the global fat scale.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    PaperSt wrote: »
    Very interesting. After finding my current result, I plugged in my weight goal. At my goal, I would be comparable to someone from Cambodia... Hmmm...
    Hmmm... that may not be the best weight? What BMI would that be?

I was wondering the same. I'm not there yet, so I guess we'll see as we go. BMI would be 21 at my goal weight.
    oh! 21 is probably fine. It sounded lower when you said Cambodia. Cambodia is at 21% now? Wow.

I'm at about 21.5 5'6" 132-135 (usually).

• PaperSt
    PaperSt Posts: 27 Member
    Very interesting. After finding my current result, I plugged in my weight goal. At my goal, I would be comparable to someone from Cambodia... Hmmm...

I was wondering the same. I'm not there yet, so I guess we'll see as we go. BMI would be 21 at my goal weight.
    oh! 21 is probably fine. It sounded lower when you said Cambodia. Cambodia is at 21% now? Wow.

Ha! That's exactly what I was thinking. When you think Cambodia, you certainly don't think about anyone being overweight. So, I'll be Cambodian... ;) I should be good to go.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Wow.. apparently I have a BMI (22) 85% lower than most people my age (15-25) in the U.S. and 54% lower than the rest of the world. This makes me feel good about myself, but sad for the rest of the country. :/
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Yikes! Well it tells me my BMI is 29 at 162 lbs and 5'3. I have a higher BMI than 81% of females in the world ouch! I am currently like the Dominican Republic population and my goal of 140 lbs 25 bmi will take me to Spain :)
  • KrisBitz
    KrisBitz Posts: 23 Member
    jrose1982 wrote: »
    This tool compares your BMI to that of people in your own country and around the world.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-18770328

I'm pretty high on the scale (even after losing 30 lbs). This has got to be the most shocking perspective of my weight that I've ever seen. Try it at your own risk (especially if you're obese).

OMG THIS IS WHAT I NEEDED THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! Now I feel more of a fat *kitten*...lol
    But no in all seriousness, this is a good wake up call, I've let myself go and I am only 30, I want to have a full healthy life ahead of me, and as I am working on making changes seeing this helps!

I plan to share that website with my friends on here, and hopefully it will help others wake up as well!

Here's to some hardcore work outs!!!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I'm below almost every county except for the ones where famine and starvation are the norm.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I am most likely from north korea with a BMI of 20. LOL
  • tropic80girl
    tropic80girl Posts: 50 Member
    Ouch Ouch Ouch... I just made the top 1% in the worst way possible...
    You have a higher BMI than 99% of females aged 30-44 in your country
    You have a higher BMI than 100% of females aged 30-44 in the world
    If everyone in the world had the same BMI as you, it would add 248,840,927 tonnes to the total weight of the world's population

And I have a hard time seeing myself as this obese until I see a picture, or read numbers like this... so depressing. Guess I have to figure out how to turn it into a motivator instead.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,355 Member
    Bumping for definitely doing this later.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    edited December 2014
    I'm not so sure I'm buying this. It's basically saying I'm the fattest woman in the world, LOL!! According to that, my BMI (44) is higher than 99% of the US population (aged 30-44) and higher than 100% of the world. Really? At 5'7 and 279 pounds? I know I'm classified as morbid obese but I've seen TONS of people significantly larger than I. I guess I don't get it....
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Wow. I still have weight to lose, but I have a lower BMI than 92% of women in my age range in this country. That's surprising. I would have thought I was more average.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Rays_Wife wrote: »
    I'm not so sure I'm buying this. It's basically saying I'm the fattest woman in the world, LOL!! According to that, my BMI (44) is higher than 99% of the US population (aged 30-44) and higher than 100% of the world. Really? At 5'7 and 279 pounds? I know I'm classified as morbid obese but I've seen TONS of people significantly larger than I. I guess I don't get it....

It's says it's using estimates of global weights from WHO. I don't know how smart it is. I know the horizontal bar chart of BMI in the BBC page is kind of dumb. Why chart BMI from 0-50? No one has BMI down to 0. And the 'your range' is based on standard deviation, they say, but the range is only below my BMI. If they're trying to show one standard deviation from the mean, it should be both above and below it.

• wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    I'm lower than 78% from the United States, and higher than 58% globally. I'm pretty happy right now! :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

Ha! That's exactly what I was thinking. When you think Cambodia, you certainly don't think about anyone being overweight. So, I'll be Cambodian... ;) I should be good to go.

Don't get too caught up in the country comparison thing. According to it, at what I think might be my final weight (goal is %BF), which is still well within a healthy range, I'd be most similar to the average Ethiopian. It's a whole 1 BMI point less than my current BMI which makes me most similar to the average Bangaladeshi.

I promise, there's no risk of me starving myself. I love food too much ;P
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    I am most likely from Ethiopia.

I think they're trying to tell me to eat more.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    jim180155 wrote: »
    I am most likely from Ethiopia.

I think they're trying to tell me to eat more.

Ha! I got Ethiopia, too. I'm guessing when I think of Ethiopia, I only think of the images of people starving, I don't really know what the rest of the population is like. I think I look pretty normal and not starving!

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    jrose1982 wrote: »
    This tool compares your BMI to that of people in your own country and around the world.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-18770328

I'm pretty high on the scale (even after losing 30 lbs). This has got to be the most shocking perspective of my weight that I've ever seen. Try it at your own risk (especially if you're obese).

I was amazed how well I did...My result was unreal!!

"Unreal" being the key word - because I made a typo on keying in my weight... LOL .... Let's just say I am not done losing...:)

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]73641431.png[/url]
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    that's really cool!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    I am most likely from north korea with a BMI of 20. LOL

mine is 20 and said I am most likely from Ethiopia. lol. really neat tool.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    well, that was depressing.