An obese nutritionist: would you be her patient?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Regardless of what the issue is for *many* people, that doesn't mean that you can take a look at someone and know their story.

I don't want to know their story.

I'm shopping for a service, and want to make the best quick decision I can. That means, all else being equal, picking the person who most looks like the job.

would you take driving lessons from an old Chinese lady?

Probably not.

Eso-Es-Racista-Reaction-Gif.gif

Speak English, dammit!
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    This is the corollary to "don't trust a skinny chef," but she may the world's smartest nutritionist and suffer from some medical condition or medication side effect that prevents her from losing weight. Would you trust an anorexic nutritionist more?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    This is the corollary to "don't trust a skinny chef," but she may the world's smartest nutritionist and suffer from some medical condition or medication side effect that prevents her from losing weight. Would you trust an anorexic nutritionist more?

Should anorexics insist on obese nutritionists, so they have proof she knows how to gain weight?
  • coasterphile
    coasterphile Posts: 16 Member
    I wouldn't trust a tone deaf person to be a vocal coach, so no.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,363 Member
    levitateme wrote: »
    Technically I am obese. I'm not picturing Pendlay, or anyone else who is "technically" obese when reading this question. I'm picturing someone who can't stand up long enough to do a normal grocery shopping.

I am obese (BMI just over 40) and not only can I stand up long enough to grocery shop, I work 30hrs/week at a physically active job (on my feet constantly, always moving, climbing ladders, lifting and moving heavy items like bikes, trampolines and basketball hoops).

I found that a slightly offensive assumption.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member

lolz, that metaphor b flat.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member

Would you trust a deaf person to write a symphony?
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

lolz, that metaphor b flat.

HAH. That was a good chuckle :#
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

I'm waiting for someone to say no to this.

Waiting...

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    msf74 wrote: »

I'm waiting for someone to say no to this.

Waiting...

But I believe he hid the fact that he was deaf, didn't he? Even he feared what people learning that he had lost his hearing would do to his profession.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member

In any situation, there are always exceptions. Beethoven wrote some pretty good music in the Late Period, so yeah, I can trust a deaf person to write a symphony.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising

In any situation, there are always exceptions. Beethoven wrote some pretty good music in the Late Period, so yeah, I can trust a deaf person to write a symphony.

So because one exceptional person was able to produce the 9th symphony you would let every deaf person who studied music attempt to wright a symphony for you? Would you judge them on the same level as their hearing competators?
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    It would really depend how big they were. Overweight but still healthy and fit looking then sure no problem. If they looked like a contestant for the biggest loser then no way - I would struggle to be inspired by someone who for whatever reason doesn't embody the lifestyle they're instructing you on. Lead by example and all that
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    No it doesn't. Being thin does not make the person necessarily healthy, knowledgeable about nutrition or in particularly good shape.

Nowhere did I claim that it did.

Moving-the-goalposts-300x2402.jpg

Yes you did. "look the part". Captain! Engage deflectors on full power!

How do you "look the part"? Resemble a vegetable?

I give up.

Cheers.

This whole argument is entirely silly. Mr. Knight didn't say thin people are more qualified than obese people. He said he wouldn't trust an obese person to be his nutritionist, because this is an example of a person who has all the knowledge but can't put it into practice. I wouldn't trust that person either. I don't like hypocrites.

I don't understand why some people are so butthurt about differing opinions.

AND seriously loling forever at the "deaf person writing a symphony" because Beethoven did it. You know Beethoven wasn't born deaf right? He also wasn't completely deaf until very late in his life, so he heard music and knew how notes sounded before he went deaf.
  • msf74
    edited December 2014
    You know Beethoven wasn't born deaf right? He also wasn't completely deaf until very late in his life, so he heard music and knew how notes sounded before he went deaf.

Are all obese people that way from birth or can circumstances change over time?

I know I am being a little glib here but people spend more time researching what TV to buy than something much more important in my opinion - someone who can assist them with health and nutrition.

Perhaps if we tried to eliminate our biases and spent a little more time looking at matters we would identify the best person for the job on actual merit, who could in fact be exceptional, be they slim or not.

Wishful thinking may be but it is better than sitting back and saying "oh well, that's just the way it is" in my view.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    edited December 2014
    You know Beethoven wasn't born deaf right? He also wasn't completely deaf until very late in his life, so he heard music and knew how notes sounded before he went deaf.

I know I am being a little glib here but people spend more time researching what TV to buy than something much more important in my opinion - someone who can assist them with health and nutrition.

Perhaps if we tried to eliminate our biases and spent a little more time looking at matters we would identify the best person for the job on actual merit, who could in fact be exceptional, be they slim or not.

Wishful thinking may be but it is better than sitting back and saying "oh well, that's just the way it is" in my view.

People just want to argue. Beethoven was a musical genius. Is every single obese person the Michaelangelo of food and I'm just missing out because I am close-minded?

I could have easily ended up 400 lbs, but I didn't because I took control of myself. For this reason, I wouldn't trust someone who is 400 lbs to tell me what to eat no matter how much education they had. That's about all I have on the matter.

I wouldn't hire any nutritionist though. I even cut my own hair, if that helps.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited December 2014
    This thread has wasted pages of arguments over who would judge base off looks in this situation.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising

If in doing research the obese person is the Beethoven of nutrition then by all means hire them! If on the other hand they are on par with others who are able to present themselves at a healthy weight, their weight become a valid judgment point.
  • msf74

People just want to argue. Beethoven was a musical genius. Is every single obese person the Michaelangelo of food and I'm just missing out because I am close-minded?

I could have easily ended up 400 lbs, but I didn't because I took control of myself. For this reason, I wouldn't trust someone who is 400 lbs to tell me what to eat no matter how much education they had. That's about all I have on the matter.

I wouldn't hire any nutritionist though. I even cut my own hair, if that helps.

Sure and that's fair enough. Ultimately everyone will make the choices they want and do what they believe is best for them.

I don't think debating an issue or arguing is necessarily a bad thing, if done well. It gives us access to other ideas we may not have considered. We don't have to choose to accept them.

• msf74

If in doing research the obese person is the Beethoven of nutrition then by all means hire them! If on the other hand they are on par with others who are able to present themselves at a healthy weight, their weight become a valid judgment point.

Undoubtedly and as a rational consumer you would opt for the healthy weight nutritionist in that scenario.