How much do you spend on groceries monthly?

Replies

• consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    We're in the suburbs of Detroit.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    dallas, tx; i spend maybe around $300/mo. on my single self, including eating out. give or take since i like sushi...
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Jennloella wrote: »
    wow we spend a lot. I need to cut coupons or something. I've often toyed with buying meat in bulk, but we'd have to get a freezer and we just....haven't. I guess we're lazy when it comes to this.

We bought a small chest freezer for $150 a few years ago. I've saved that money dozens of times over by being able to buy in bulk, or freeze things so they don't go bad before we can get to it.

• EWG (Environmental Working Group) has a free publication called "Good Food on a Tight Budget". It includes recipes. I find it helpful. You might get a few ideas. Try this link: http://www.ewg.org/goodfood/
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    $50
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Jennloella wrote: »
    wow we spend a lot. I need to cut coupons or something. I've often toyed with buying meat in bulk, but we'd have to get a freezer and we just....haven't. I guess we're lazy when it comes to this.

I shop at Wegmans and they sell family packs of all their meats, its about 10 pieces all individually wrapped. I love the chicken because it's about $12 total, instead of spending $4-$5 for 2 pieces of chicken breast. We want to buy the steaks but that would be about $25-$30, that's a lot to spend all at once, but I know it's very worth it because it will last a long time. It takes up a lot of space but it's worth it in the long run.

• Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    About $40 per week so $160 per month for just me. I live in Sacramento, CA and I usually cook for myself and only treat myself out once a week.
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    $410 per month, or $1.50 per meal per person for three big eaters. I did the "food stamp challenge" and found the budget to be totally reasonable, so I went with it. I can usually get any paper or cleaning products on that budget too. This means a lot of bulk buying, coupons, meatless meals, and strategic use of leftovers.
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    EWG (Environmental Working Group) has a free publication called "Good Food on a Tight Budget". It includes recipes. I find it helpful. You might get a few ideas. Try this link: http://www.ewg.org/goodfood/
    Thanks for posting! Love this!
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    My roommate and I spend about $500 a month split 50/50... even though he eats at least 2/3rd of the food we get.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    yoovie wrote: »
    $50

A month?? in NYC??? Do tell. :)
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    I have no idea. But I really should start budgeting because I am sure it is a lot!
  • MLowe13
    MLowe13 Posts: 23 Member
    edited December 2014
    When I am being diligent and not running to the store for every little whim, and of course not counting holiday food budget I can buy groceries for a family of 3 for about $200 per month. That doesn't account for toiletries, but I make alot of those myself anyway and we buy paper goods and some food items like beans, rice, flour etc in bulk once or twice a year.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    dang yall spend a lot on food. My monthly budget is the same as some of yalls weekly budget! O_O
  • rAc_hEl
    rAc_hEl Posts: 246 Member
    350 a month for me and my son
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited December 2014
    If I've gone over $120/month, it's a special occasion and I've had to allocate from other funds. I wonder how many of the folks with expenses over $500/month are in the 'eating healthy isn't more expensive' camp.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    For those of you with a budget of less than $150 a month....please share? Is it because you only by the staples like rice, potatoes, onions, meat, eggs, bread...etc?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    $800-$1000 for a family of 4. DC metro.
  • amykuh
    amykuh Posts: 27 Member
    $50

This thread has got me thinking, but *this* post: mind, blown.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    amykuh wrote: »
    $50

This thread has got me thinking, but *this* post: mind, blown.
    Yes that specific post has me on the world wide web looking at ways to better improve my monthly grocery budget. I mean how the hell??!! Share Yoovie :)