What's the deal with Dairy is it good or bad??

Hey all!
This is my first time posting on here, so here goes. I once had a trainer say to me that drinking or eating dairy while trying to loose weight, will make weight loss harder and will make u bloat etc. Is this true?? I have limited my dairy to just low fat cheese on occasion and have changed my milk to almond or coconut milk and my yogurt form 0% Greek Fage (cow milk yogurt) to cultured coconut milk yogurt. I am not lactose intolerant, but just trying to do what i can to lose my last 10-15 pounds. So the big question is would it be bad if i changed back to 0% Greek Yogurt (cow milk) again? The non-dairy yogurt is expensive. I will still drink the almond or coconut milk just b/c i like it better. Any thoughts on this would be helpful and much appreciated.
-Val

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Unless you are lactose intolerant, or have some kind of legitimate dairy allergy, it will not hurt anything at all. It's just calories.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Only thing you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. You can eat full fat cheese & yogurt it tastes much better and still lose. Only time dairy would be an issue is if you had an allergy which you don't, just make it fit into your day.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    There isn't anything wrong with eating dairy unless you have a medical issue preventing you to do so. I have cheese and greek yogurt every day some weeks.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    No food is "Good" or "Bad". All things in moderation. I love cheese, but I have to make sure I don't eat too much. It's a little high on the calorie side.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    There is research that shows that eating food high in calcium helps weight loss. Go and enjoy.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    I lost 80 lbs in a year eating a serving of greek yogurt every day, plus cheese, milk, ice cream et al. So long as it fit in my calorie limit, it was all good. Now a single person doesn't a pattern make, but it didn't inhibit my weight loss that I could see.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    I am lactose intolerant but i add up to 4 tsp a day of HWC to my coffee with no problem. Sometimes more on weekends.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Dairy making it harder to lose weight is a myth in my experience.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    Dairy isn't needed at all in our diets. But I'll be damned if I stop eating cheese, yogurt and ice cream!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Low-fat or no-fat dairy is fine and considered part of a healthy diet for most people. Many people who lose weight are including dairy.

Learning about nutrition is awesome, but you should learn it from people who are qualified to advise you. Here's a very basic start: http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I have some intestinal grumbles with plain milk, but you'll pry Fage 0% from my cold, dead hands. I eat a serving and a half every day. It packs so much protein into so few calories.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Since you don't have any medical reasons not to eat it then eat it. You will be far better off using a food scale (if you are not using one) to drop those last 10-15 lbs. then buying expensive yogurt that won’t do crap for you if you are overeating.
  • hawaiival13
    hawaiival13 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks soo much guys for your responses!! I have lost 126 pounds so far and its just a struggle right now to lose the last little bit. I am trying to tone up and get rid of excess fat. I think that adding 0% Fage yogurt back to my diet wont be a bad thing. Everything in moderation!
  • Great progress! I don't have any beneficial input, but I can't read your post title without hearing it in a Jerry Seinfeld voice :smile:
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Awesome job...if you've lost 126lbs you've obviously found what works for you, good luck on the last bit.
  • hawaiival13
    hawaiival13 Posts: 6 Member
    LOL!!! Jasper
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I drink milk straight out of the cow's udder nearly every day...I hope it's not bad.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Thanks soo much guys for your responses!! I have lost 126 pounds so far and its just a struggle right now to lose the last little bit. I am trying to tone up and get rid of excess fat. I think that adding 0% Fage yogurt back to my diet wont be a bad thing. Everything in moderation!

You've lost 126 pounds and now you are starting to question whether or not dairy is good or not? Seriously - you've been very successful, keep doing what you are doing, but as others have said, there is no reason to restrict dairy unless you have an allergy/intolerance to it. Congrats on your success!

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Congrats on the weight loss!