How much do you spend on groceries monthly?

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited December 2014
    This study might also be interesting to some of you:

theweek.com/article/index/262049/why-americans-spend-less-of-their-income-on-food-than-any-other-country

A little perspective for those of you who find food extremely expensive. Imagine living in Pakistan, where people spend almost half their income on food!

I'm Canadian and on average, we spend 9.6% of our income on food, vs. the 6.6% that Americans spend. That's 'cause we can't grow as much in our colder climate and shorter growing season, so we have to import more. It's also 'cause our taxes are higher, so food is a higher percentage of take-home pay (but things like childcare and medical expenses are a much lower percentage).
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    For those of you with a budget of less than $150 a month....please share? Is it because you only by the staples like rice, potatoes, onions, meat, eggs, bread...etc?

I shop the sales. I plan my weekly shopping the day the ads come out (usually on a Thursday) and plan the main meals around what meat is on sale. I buy produce based on what is on sale and stock up when frozen veggies are $1 a bag. I get my bread at the day old bread outlet and my pantry staples at Aldi. I buy my spices and seasonings at Penzeys (which is, on average 1/2 the price of grocery store stuff). I make my own mixes for things like like Taco seasoning, etc. from spices and herbs. I get my milk, eggs, and butter from the local gas station/convenience store because they are always fresher and cheaper.
    Thank you for sharing!

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Jennloella wrote: »
    If I've gone over $120/month, it's a special occasion and I've had to allocate from other funds. I wonder how many of the folks with expenses over $500/month are in the 'eating healthy isn't more expensive' camp.

I don't think eating healthy is expensive, I know it's my shopping habits - I shop where is convenient to my home, I don't shop sales or cut coupons, I like brand name stuff and not store brands, some things I just like and that's that, organic milk is over 5 bucks a gallon and we go through 3 gallons a week easily, the yogurt we prefer is suaully about 4.45 for a container that lasts us about 3 or 4 days..... I usually hit costco, safeway, farmer's market in that order and I get what we want regardless of it being in season or whatever. we had a baby in 2013 and one in 2014 so our bill has gone up a lot with the addition of the extra formula, milk, cheese, just food in general as the one year old eats more and more of what we're having. I also think my 12 year old has a hallow leg. As for baby food I make it all so my veggie/fruit cost is about doubled.

I seriously can't believe how little some of you manage to get food on! I'm impressed and it almost makes me want to get a sunday paper to look at ads.......almost.

I think it's a mix of my shopping habits (we go to three stores a week, the farmer's market, a deli and a health food store) and some of it is just that there's no real way to get the cost per serving down. I'm really impressed with Yoovie's average of $1.63 per meal.

I thought about it, in a month we eat ~168 servings of vegetables, 8 servings of meat, 56 servings of grains, 48 servings of eggs (When this is lower the grain servings go up because of oatmeal) 16 servings of milk/30 servings of almond milk, then there's the pricer things like snacks, coffee, teas, chocolate.

I think it would be worth a shot to see where I could pare down, but then I think about how much better we are doing now that we no longer spend over 1k a month dining out. Baby steps
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    yoovie wrote: »
    For those of you with a budget of less than $150 a month....please share? Is it because you only by the staples like rice, potatoes, onions, meat, eggs, bread...etc?

I think it's cause we probably always have large quantities of the staples on hand and only buy the perishables or the 'stars of the meal' at the beginning of the week.

This week I got:
    2 boneless skinless chicken breasts for $5.50 - that's for 4 meals.
    can of chickpeas - $.85
    baby spinach - $2
    frozen brussels sprouts $1.89

I already have rice, seasonings, potatoes and feta cheese leftover from week before last. I still have eggs and coffee too.

So Im good for the week and will probably have left over spinach to roll over to next weeks foods.
    Okkkk gotcha. That is what I was thinking. I think my 13 year old son would eat me out of my house if he could.

Same here with mine.. but if I were single, this would be the way I would go.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    segacs wrote: »
    Imagine living in Pakistan, where people spend almost half their income on food!

hey... if it fits their macros, I don't judge.

• lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    $700 for me, my husband, and my son. We eat a TON of food though. I eat healthy and my husband eats like crap, so we have a good mix lol
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    randomtai wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »

I think it's cause we probably always have large quantities of the staples on hand and only buy the perishables or the 'stars of the meal' at the beginning of the week.

This week I got:
    2 boneless skinless chicken breasts for $5.50 - that's for 4 meals.
    can of chickpeas - $.85
    baby spinach - $2
    frozen brussels sprouts $1.89

I already have rice, seasonings, potatoes and feta cheese leftover from week before last. I still have eggs and coffee too.

So Im good for the week and will probably have left over spinach to roll over to next weeks foods.
    Okkkk gotcha. That is what I was thinking. I think my 13 year old son would eat me out of my house if he could.

Same here with mine.. but if I were single, this would be the way I would go.
    Growing kids! She still makes me want to budget better.
  • clewpage
    clewpage Posts: 44 Member
    For me and my husband and a dog, I spend on average $200 every two weeks, including household items like dog food, toilet paper, soap or shampoo, etc. Some weeks are higher, some are lower, depending on if I go to Costco (higher) or if I've just been to Costco (lower). Also, if I'm making a new or complicated recipe, that can bring up my cost as I may need a different ingredient I don't usually have.
    I like to buy chicken and pork in bulk, don't buy red meat because we hunt and eat deer, and I buy vegetables weekly to stay fresh. If it's a good deal, I'll get toiletries in bulk sometimes as well.
    I'm a list shopper, try to only buy what I will need for the next two weeks, that helps keep costs down.
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    I spend about $75/week, or $300 month...just for me. I'm looking around this thread and that seems crazy high! I'm a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's kind of girl though.

I should probably do a better job of budgeting.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    $400-$500 a month for myself, my wife and my daughter. We eat out every Friday night and kick it at someone's house (family) usually on the weekends.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png[/quote]
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    $700 for a family of 8
  • jlgrebe
    jlgrebe Posts: 30 Member
    My fiance and I are at about $500 a month. That's shopping around the outside of the store (all fresh) with spices, boxed pasta, oats, etc. as exceptions.

Trying to get it down a little though. I have a secret life goal of being one of those extreme coupon ladies. ;)
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    TOO MUCH!! But I love food!!
  • Right now it's about $400 for me and the hubby. He hunts so we don't purchase any red meat or pork only chicken. I live in Amish country in PA and I shop at a lot of farmers markets and mom & pop shops. That makes things a little more expensive but the quality is unbelievable!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Approx 300 a month. For a family of 5. Beans, rice, oats, veggies and fruits are our staples. We are vegan and I shop @ Aldi. Since we live in Alabama (not vegan friendly) we very rarely go out to eat. It's either Mellow Mushroom for pizza or bean curd at the local Chinese restaurant. So, maybe $30 a month.
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    edited December 2014
    Approximately $150 a week for my husband and I. We eat out a couple of times a week and have a well stocked pantry and freezer. That's in AB.
  • mightygirlruns
    mightygirlruns Posts: 18
    edited December 2014
    800 maybe for a family of four. I don't pay attention. I just swipe the card and go.

Also, my husband and I eat out a lot for lunch. Probably another $400 per month in restuarants.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    600ish for me and my son. Most of it is me...
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Around 800. This is my husband and myself and one nineteen year old. It includes, food, bathroom stuff, dog food etc. We live on the eastern side of Washington state.
  • buggzero
    buggzero Posts: 9 Member
    edited December 2014
    we try to average $100 bucks a week, its not easy math to factor in planned costo trips. But spending a little less in groceries has helped reduce waste.

Edit: forgot to mention, we're two adults, and two younger kids.