Coconut oil

Does anyone use Coconut oil?I have read so much about the benefits and people even useing it in there coffees, Iam looking into cooking with this and also maybe melting this in my coffee...Has anyone found coconut oil helpful???

Replies

• munchmom02
    munchmom02 Posts: 2 Member
    I just started using it over the weekend. I put it in my oatmeal and use it in place of other cooking fats. I also like to melt it in chicken or beef bouillon. Just started on Friday and have lost 2lbs.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    I'm not sure about all the neutracutical claims of the stuff, but it is pretty tasty to cook shrimp in.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited December 2014
    I guess the question is, why? What do you think coconut oil is going to do for you?
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Helpful for what? Weight loss? Nutrition? It's not a miracle food for weight loss since it's pretty high in calories and should be used sparingly. I do hear though that it is good for hair and skin and I have experienced better hair and skin but that could also be the copious amount of avocados and leafy greens I've been eating lately. I do recommend for cooking though because it tastes awesome!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    edited December 2014
    no it tastes horrible but it works well to gently remove eye make up
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    It's better for cooking at high temperatures than olive oil is. Nutrition-wise, I don't know that it's any better. I use it in my hair though, and it does aaahhh-mazing things to it!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    IMO this is a fad thing, just a trend. The so-called paleo folk seem to think it's God's gift, but I challenge anyone to find a caveman who made coffee with coconut oil and whatever that other processed oil is that they use. Anyway, if you're just trying to lose weight, look better, feel better, I'd probably follow the advice of veteran MFP people, eat under your caloric intake, be reasonable and take it slow. Nothing is going to make the fat going away instantly, not even coconut oil.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    I guess the question is, why? What do you think coconut oil is going to do for you?

I think she doesn't know, which is why she's asking us. So maybe answer her question if you have helpful info to contribute.

• tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    salembambi wrote: »
    no it tastes horrible but it works well to gently remove eye make up

I keep a jar in my bathroom for makeup removal, and as a mixer for my homemade skin moisturizer. for the kitchen, I mostly stick to butter and/or olive oil, depending on what I'm cooking up.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    i have found when i've mixed coconut oil in my coffee and eaten 1/4 cup of cashews for breakfast, i'm really satiated for like 4 and a half hours. it worked very well for me keeping me from snacking in the mornings.
  • It works great on dry skin as a moisturizer and it also has antibacterial properties so it's great for a baby's diaper rash.

It's also tasty to sauté onions in.

I like it, but I'd never put it in my coffee....

Here's some ways to use it: http://everydayroots.com/coconut-oil-uses
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited December 2014

I think she doesn't know, which is why she's asking us. So maybe answer her question if you have helpful info to contribute.

Based on the statement that OP has "read so much about the benefits" of coconut oil, I'm guessing she's been hooked by a bunch of woo nonsense. There's nothing wrong with asking questions for clarification. Perhaps I can better answer her questions if I have more information. Maybe back up off my ish if you can't answer my question?
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    I've used it as makeup remover. There are better options in terms of what oils to use for cooking. Coconut oil is a saturated fat and should be limited in one's diet.
  • solongsugar
    solongsugar Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2014
    I add a bit to smoothies and coffee since it blends flavors really nicely. In a hot coffee it will create an oil slick at the top, so I blend my coffee before drinking, like a butter coffee. Haven't used it much in cooking since it has a definite "coconut" flavor/smell.

I don't really like it as a moisturizer, but I don't like lotions so I will continue to try it.

Edit: Since people seem weirded out by the coffee thing, I use coconut oil with soymilk instead of milk/cream, because I have those things handy. It's a little nutty, smooth, and very mild. Just an example, not that anyone asked.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Does anyone use Coconut oil?I have read so much about the benefits and people even useing it in there coffees, Iam looking into cooking with this and also maybe melting this in my coffee...Has anyone found coconut oil helpful???

I like to cook with it, although I also cook with olive oil and butter. I can't see the appeal of putting it in my coffee--not to my taste and I am not having trouble coming up with more standard ways to get in sufficient fats (cooking veggies is always one way).

I'm skeptical about the claims that it has any positive nutritional effects beyond being a good fat to have in your diet, no better than olive oil, really. Adds a pleasant taste in the right dish, though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    A couple decades ago, it was the devil...just sayin'.

Personally, I think it's delicious and I cook certain things with is just as I cook certain things with olive oil or avocado oil or butter...it's not magic though. Really, it's just trendy and that's about it...
  • Angelina3894
    Angelina3894 Posts: 9 Member
    edited December 2014
    There are a lot of MYTHS about coconut oil.

Myth #1 - Coconut Oil contains a lot of fat so it must be fattening.

Truth - Not all fat makes you fat. Certain fats do cause weight gain, but other good fats will actually burn unwanted fat off your body and accelerate your metabolism.

Myth #2 - Coconut Oil contains almost all saturated fat so it must be bad for you.

Truth - Saturated Fat is not the cause of heart disease, weight gain and high cholesterol. Saturated Fat has been falsely accused and it is SUGAR that is Enemy Numero Uno

Myth #3 - Coconut Oil should be avoided by those who are at risk for heart disease .

Truth - The fat in coconut oil is one of the healthiest oils you can consume (yes, even for those with heart disease). It is rich in lauric acid, which is known for its antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties and contains no trans fat. The saturated fat in coconut oil is different than many other oils in that it is of the medium-chain fatty acid (MCFA) variety. The body digests MCFAs more easily and sends these fats directly to the liver where they are immediately converted into energy. A fat that is used to make energy instead of storing it on our bodies.

I use unrefined, organic coconut oil for all of my cooking needs. 1 - 2 tsps for most cooking is more than enough. You can even use it raw if you like, I don't think it has much of a taste but it doesnt taste bad. I usually have about 2-3 total Tbsp per day which is a perfect amount for a fat burning eating plan. While it's really good for you, there's no need to go overboard

Not sure why people put it in coffee....maybe as a cream substitute. Not sure if i would do that but i would try anything once!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    I put a half tablespoon in my coffee with some cream in the morning. It holds me through my workout....I don't like to eat before the gym. Gives me heartburn/reflux.

I'd read about the antibacterial properties, etc. and that's why I started it. Now that I'm used to it, I love it!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Truth - Not all fat makes you fat. Certain fats do cause weight gain, but other good fats will actually burn unwanted fat off your body and accelerate your metabolism.

Fat "causes" weight gain only in that it has more calories per gram compared with the other macros, so foods that are mostly fat tend to have a high number of calories per gram. For example, oils, including coconut, are about 100 calories/tbsp.

It is not true that eating some fats independent of the calories in the fat or in the rest of your diet somehow can "make you fat," nor is it true that we are somehow immune from the effect of the calories in "good fats" on our weight, should we eat more calories than we burn.

It would be nice, but sadly no.