35 pounds gone in 2 months

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    And also what is your definition of building muscle? Because if my arms and legs and abs, etc are getting really strong and solid from working out 6 times a week are you saying that I'm not building muscle? How do I get stronger and firmer and toner without building up any muscle?

You're burning the intramuscular fat. That means your muscles feel more firm. You can build some muscle in a deficit if you are under trained, obese, or returning from injury. It's not going to be a significant amount.
  • ColoradoBringItOn
    ColoradoBringItOn Posts: 132 Member
    edited December 2014
    First off: I have a hard time believing that you lost 35lbs in only 2 months.
    Secondly: The "After" picture looks more like a 60 - 75 lb loss.
    I must say you look wonderful, so however you did it - good job!

That's cool that you don't believe me but it's true. I went from 287 in the before picture to 252 in the after picture. I still have another 75 pounds to lose. The results in the pictures come from working out hard 6 days a week and eating completely clean (single ingredient foods like chicken breast, egg whites, veggies, quinoa. I don't eat sugar, processed foods, added sauces, salty foods or unclean carbs and I drink only water and lots of it) 6 times a day with a perfect ratio of protein to carbs. It's working better than anything I've ever done before and that's why the fat is just melting off and I'm getting stronger ever week. Look up Farrell's extreme bodyshaping. My results are actually quite typical for members that follow the program to a T.
  • ColoradoBringItOn
    And also what is your definition of building muscle? Because if my arms and legs and abs, etc are getting really strong and solid from working out 6 times a week are you saying that I'm not building muscle? How do I get stronger and firmer and toner without building up any muscle?

Increase neuromuscular efficiency and decrease body fat.

Thank you for explaining that. Now I'm off to google it and learn more about that.

• kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Wow! You look stunning! I can't believe the transformation in only 2 months!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Great job! I would love to know how you consistently lose 4+lbs per week. Can you open your food diary?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member

Increase neuromuscular efficiency and decrease body fat.

Thank you for explaining that. Now I'm off to google it and learn more about that.

It just means you are more efficient at performing a particular movement pattern and more efficient at recruiting the muscle fibers to perform said movement pattern.
  • vpadd
    vpadd Posts: 7
    awesome job!!!
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    You most certainly are in a deficit and based on your 35 lbs in 2 months, that's approx. 2000 cal deficit each day which is crazy. If anything, you probably loss some LBM, but we'll never know for sure because you didn't get you body fat tested via hydrostatic, bodpod, or DEXA before or after. Since you were working out 6 days a week, you probably minimized LBM loss though, and that's a good thing.

Good job either way. You look great!
  • ColoradoBringItOn
    Great job! I would love to know how you consistently lose 4+lbs per week. Can you open your food diary?

I have it wide open to friends. You can friend request me :)

• Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    You're doing wonderful things for your health, but looking totally amazing is a great side-effect. You were a beautiful woman even when you were heavy but WOW! You rock.
  • ColoradoBringItOn
    FrenchMob wrote: »
    You most certainly are in a deficit and based on your 35 lbs in 2 months, that's approx. 2000 cal deficit each day which is crazy. If anything, you probably loss some LBM, but we'll never know for sure because you didn't get you body fat tested via hydrostatic, bodpod, or DEXA before or after. Since you were working out 6 days a week, you probably minimized LBM loss though, and that's a good thing.

You're right I didn' t get tested by any of those. They used a hand held body fat measuring tool. It may be inaccurate but between day 1 and at the week 5 test I had gone down 2%. My 10 week test is coming up on December 20th.

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Great job! I've lost 35 pounds as well and do not have near the same results!! I'd say 55 pounds as well!
  • usmcmp

You're right I didn' t get tested by any of those. They used a hand held body fat measuring tool. It may be inaccurate but between day 1 and at the week 5 test I had gone down 2%. My 10 week test is coming up on December 20th.

Bio-electrical impedence is very inaccurate. If you were to run the test, drink 16 ounces of water, then run the test again, you would have a body fat percentage change of around 8%. If you use it under the same conditions of hydration, time of day (best time is first thing in the morning before eating) and room temperature you could possibly get a trend line that is fairly accurate, but the actual measured percentage is an estimate. Most people see a large drop in body fat when they first start a diet and exercise routine because of a drop in glycogen, which makes it look like you lost fat and gained muscle.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2543039/
  • ColoradoBringItOn
    edited December 2014
    usmcmp wrote: »

Bio-electrical impedence is very inaccurate. If you were to run the test, drink 16 ounces of water, then run the test again, you would have a body fat percentage change of around 8%. If you use it under the same conditions of hydration, time of day (best time is first thing in the morning before eating) and room temperature you could possibly get a trend line that is fairly accurate, but the actual measured percentage is an estimate. Most people see a large drop in body fat when they first start a diet and exercise routine because of a drop in glycogen, which makes it look like you lost fat and gained muscle.

Well it's definitely not the end all be all in my results. It's a tiny piece of the whole. I watch the tape measure do the most magic. The scale is good too but it's all about what I see in the mirror and how my clothes fit and what that measurement says that counts. 4 pants sizes don't lie.

• usmcmp

Well it's definitely not the end all be all in my results. It's a tiny piece of the whole. I watch the tape measure do the most magic. The scale is good too but it's all about what I see in the mirror and how my clothes fit and what that measurement says that counts. 4 pants sizes don't lie.

That's great that you are losing weight! I was just pointing out that you can't use the bio-electrical impedance method to prove you are gaining muscle while losing fat because it's inaccurate. It's a great data point to add with the scale and tape measure to show that you are losing fat.
  • MsWendyjc
    MsWendyjc Posts: 63 Member
    Awesomeness!! Go You :smiley:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    You look great, but that's a huge daily deficit. Slowing down would probably be a good idea for the rest.

• ColoradoBringItOn

You're burning the intramuscular fat. That means your muscles feel more firm. You can build some muscle in a deficit if you are under trained, obese, or returning from injury. It's not going to be a significant amount.

Ok last question about this. Where does muscle hypertrophy and microtrauma come into play then? If I can lift heavier each week isn't that tearing down and rebuilding muscle?
  • usmcmp

Ok last question about this. Where does muscle hypertrophy and microtrauma come into play then? If I can lift heavier each week isn't that tearing down and rebuilding muscle?

You can build strength without building size. As I said, if you are new to lifting then you will make some small gains. The fact that you lost that much weight in two months says you aren't eating nearly enough to support lean mass gains. There is also a difference between myofibrillar hypertrophy and sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.
  • RHPSgirl1984
    RHPSgirl1984 Posts: 436 Member
    Awesome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!