• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Time for the gifs?

Potato_gif.gif

But it's not moving

Really? It is for me. :ohwell:

No :(

Just looks like a stand still potato

He's supposed to be dancing. Here's a better one anyway.

tumblr_maf4buopTi1ru67sbo1_500.gif
  • shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Time for the gifs?

Potato_gif.gif

But it's not moving

in for the POtatoes! but wait?!?!! Are they all the same? Or because their shapes are different maybe the calories are off. Perhaps the left potatoe calories are different from the other potatoes...
    Thank you for this highlight to my Monday!!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Time for the gifs?

Potato_gif.gif

But it's not moving

LOL....I think I am just here to read and look at the gifs today.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    In for dancing potatoes, eternal damnation for bacon and nutella, strawmen and semantics...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Time for the gifs?

Potato_gif.gif

But it's not moving

in for the POtatoes! but wait?!?!! Are they all the same? Or because their shapes are different maybe the calories are off. Perhaps the left potatoe calories are different from the other potatoes...

I'm sure their calories are different so be sure to weigh them first. :wink:

You're welcome.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Time for the gifs?

Potato_gif.gif

But it's not moving

I'm sure their calories are different so be sure to weigh them first. :wink:

You're welcome.

Wait... is it the calories, or how they are digested? It's a B&W gif, so I can't tell if they are regular potatoes or sweet potatoes. Heck, they could be pears (esp that one on the left) staging as potatoes. Now WTF do I do???
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Just another piece of propaganda....
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    It's a magazine that has so many pages to fill with content on a monthly basis. There is bound to be some regurgitation and some massaging of details in order to keep the subscribers happily reading.

I get Parents magazine and I can't tell you how redundant those articles are on a monthly basis... wait, what? I'm supposed to limit my kids screen time and feed them wholesome balanced meals, all while encouraging them to be active and discouraging them from bullying other kids? Wow. That's a lot to take in. I better read those same exact articles again next month, maybe then it will sink in since the craft section will be filled with advice on how to make reindeer out of foot prints instead of hand print turkeys or foot print ghosts.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    If people would use common sense phraseology:
    "a calorie's worth of <X food or macro> is not the same as a calorie's worth of <Y food or macro>", then the meaning is clear and there's no argument.

You're assuming people aren't trying to start arguments....

• Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    SGM_Adonis wrote: »
    1 Calorie = 4.18400 joules

(1 calorie) + (1 calorie) = 8.36800 joules.

(1 Kale Calorie) + (1 Mashed Cauliflower Calorie) = You're going to heaven.

(1 Bacon Calorie) + (1 Nutella Calorie) = Burn in hell for eternity.

Hell it is. I'm a warm-weather kind of gal ;P
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited December 2014
    Yanicka1 wrote: »
    An inch does not equal an inch? A calorie is a measure. As far as weight loss, a calorie IS a calorie. If you talk about health, it is a different story

You're right. It is a unit of measure. The confusion comes in when you follow the digestion of the different Macro components. Different Macro components get digested differently. Some use more of the available food calories for the digestion process than others. IMO, that fact gets a bit overblown by some.

The only thing "overblown" about that is that people seem to think it has any kind of actual effect on metabolism. Yes, macros use different amounts of calories to digest, but the variation is miniscule. The difference between digesting a carb vs digesting a protein is roughly 0.1 calories, and the different between digesting protein and fat is about 0.22 calories. The thermic effect of food is roughly 10% of your (already calculated) maintenance calories, and no matter how you break up your macro ratios, it's always within a couple dozen calories. The BMR calculation alone has a greater margin of error than the effect on TEF by altering your diet.

A few examples (based on 2000 calorie intake:)
    50/20/30(c/p/f) = 254 calories for TEF
    20/30/50(c/p/f) = 218 calories for TEF
    40/30/30(c/p/f) = 270 calories for TEF

It's just not a big enough difference to have any practical impact on weight loss.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    edited December 2014
    AdieEve wrote: »
    The calories you consume will influence your satiety, energy levels (pertaining especially to blood glucose), and long-term health. Will you lose weight eating in a deficit while consuming only junk? Sure. Are you going to feel like crap and possibly suffer health issues in the long-term? Yes. All calories are not created equally.

The horse is dead. Beating it more doesn't make it MORE dead.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    The calories you consume will influence your satiety, energy levels (pertaining especially to blood glucose), and long-term health. Will you lose weight eating in a deficit while consuming only junk? Sure. Are you going to feel like crap and possibly suffer health issues in the long-term? Yes. All calories are not created equally.

Clearly many disagree with you there.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

But it does burn more calories...
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited December 2014
    So… after reading the first page, let me know if I am correct in assuming this is how the discussion is going:

1) A calorie is not a calorie because some are more satiating.
    2) You are wrong. A calorie is a calorie. You can eat junk food only and still lose weight.
    3) Yes but in terms of nutrition, energy and satiety, what you eat matters.
    4) But we are not talking bout nutrition, we are talking about weight loss only.

Bonus arguments: Sugar is evil. Something about ketones.

I also saw something about potatoes that looked cool, though I find there is a noticeable lack of jesus seeds.

Here are some cookies. :smile:

Baking-cookies_1641.gif

By the way, the article itself really isn't that bad. I agree with lemurcat's sentiment that it does not emphasise CICO enough, but overall it is saying reasonable information. Some of the stuff may sound obvious to long-term users of MFP, but still could be useful to someone who just embarked on a nutrition journey.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    late to the party but innnnnnnnnnnnn…

OP lets break it down for you into cliffs…

calorie deficit - CICO - for weight loss
    macro and micro nutrient composition for body composition and overall health …

end thread/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    SGM_Adonis wrote: »
    1 Calorie = 4.18400 joules

(1 calorie) + (1 calorie) = 8.36800 joules.

(1 Kale Calorie) + (1 Mashed Cauliflower Calorie) = You're going to heaven.

(1 Bacon Calorie) + (1 Nutella Calorie) = Burn in hell for eternity.

you forgot that sugar is satan ...