anyone planning on getting the fitbit surge HR?

Replies

• mmgavitt
    mmgavitt Posts: 82 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Actually, if you've had a good workout, the repair during the night can cause HR to be higher most of the night than normal, finally reach a low before waking up.
    Also, during dreaming it will go up.
    So HR as sleep verify won't work either. At least I hope they don't attempt to, this research has been around awhile.

There are several other activity trackers that use constant HR monitoring, with same level of accuracy (not great), to give general indications of health, stress, ect.

The idea of trying to sense HR through the skin has been around awhile. Should be interesting how well it works on chubby wrists, or people that don't like it that tight.

I have pretty chubby wrists. And short arms to boot. I don't have a problem with it working accurately so far. But as I said in the other discussion you commented on I'm not a super fit athlete that needs 100% accuracy. A couple beats off and I'm still getting what I wanted from it.

But I don't mind wearing is snug... If you have chubby wrists and don't like it snug you probably wont like it. The band is SUPER comfortable though, I was absolutely shocked. Soft and silky like velvet with a bit of a stretch to it.
  • mmgavitt
    So true for meds, and there are plenty of folks with conditions that cause constantly elevated HR, and in fact with meds it only lowers a little bit.

Totally wasted money in that case too.

Though, Fitbit knows this, or should, and will likely do what the other activity trackers do that have HR, it's merely a glimpse in to what it does all day - no calorie burn is actually based on it.

In fact if stride length is correct, and therefore pace is right, calculations for pace and mass are more accurate that HRM anyway.

You can update your walking and running stride though the website (maybe the app too but I'm not positive) so it's as accurate as you are. Unfortunately fitbit can't come out and measure us all. I plan on going to a track and doing a 100 meter walk to figure mine out. Hopefully that will be accurate.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    mmgavitt wrote: »
    You can update your walking and running stride though the website (maybe the app too but I'm not positive) so it's as accurate as you are. Unfortunately fitbit can't come out and measure us all. I plan on going to a track and doing a 100 meter walk to figure mine out. Hopefully that will be accurate.

Just suggest you walk up to the line already going at normal purposeful walking pace (not starting like a race), not fast exercise pace though, and start counting those right foot step landings as you go around, and then stop as you keep striding past it at the end. Double count for total steps before math of course.
    The Fitbit with known stride length and mass can calculate how much your actual used stride is varying by impact and hang time, but it can only adjust so much, so you want a pace in the middle somewhere of likely normal usage.
  • My sister in law just received her Fitbit HR. She has linked it to My fitness pal but the calories she burns is not showing up in my fitness pal...... anyone know how to fix this?
  • heybales
    My sister in law just received her Fitbit HR. She has linked it to My fitness pal but the calories she burns is not showing up in my fitness pal...... anyone know how to fix this?

The only place calories you burn have shown up on MFP is when you click the "i" for more info on the calorie adjustments.
    Is that where she is looking?

That is merely the difference between what MFP thought you'd burn without exercise plus any exercise you entered, and what Fitbit says you burned in the whole day.

You if her daily burn wasn't oven what MFP thought she'd burn anyway, nothing to correct, nothing to increase, so no need for adjustment.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Well, we WERE planning to, but Fitbit's poor excuse for customer service - teasing us with the concept of the possibility of getting it with early release but then the BS "oh sorry, you're in Canada? Just kidding!! We can't even be bothered to mention that in the e-mail, so here's a form response proving we didn't even read your email" has really upset me and my SO.
  • heybales wrote: »
    My sister in law just received her Fitbit HR. She has linked it to My fitness pal but the calories she burns is not showing up in my fitness pal...... anyone know how to fix this?

The only place calories you burn have shown up on MFP is when you click the "i" for more info on the calorie adjustments.

That is merely the difference between what MFP thought you'd burn without exercise plus any exercise you entered, and what Fitbit says you burned in the whole day.

You if her daily burn wasn't oven what MFP thought she'd burn anyway, nothing to correct, nothing to increase, so no need for adjustment.

Maybe I'm not asking the right question. She is looking for her exercise to show up in MFP.
  • heybales
    edited December 2014

Maybe I'm not asking the right question. She is looking for her exercise to show up in MFP.

No, there is misunderstanding of the product and the syncing, I understood the question, and actually the confusion.

What I stated still stands correct.

There is NO exercise only sync from Fitbit to MFP. Merely the daily burn.
    And MFP compares that to what it was expecting anyway. If no difference or negative (and you don't have negative enabled) - no adjustment.

So her exercise will NOT show up in MFP from Fitbit.
    Even if she manually creates a workout in Fitbit, or something syncs to Fitbit to make a workout, or she creates an activity for a workout.
    All those things merely increase the daily burn.

It is only the daily burn that is sent to MFP.
  • heybales wrote: »

No, there is misunderstanding of the product and the syncing, I understood the question, and actually the confusion.

What I stated still stands correct.

There is NO exercise only sync from Fitbit to MFP. Merely the daily burn.
    And MFP compares that to what it was expecting anyway. If no difference or negative (and you don't have negative enabled) - no adjustment.

So her exercise will NOT show up in MFP from Fitbit.
    Even if she manually creates a workout in Fitbit, or something syncs to Fitbit to make a workout, or she creates an activity for a workout.
    All those things merely increase the daily burn.

It is only the daily burn that is sent to MFP.

Thank you. I understand now.
  • Nayners21
    Nayners21 Posts: 76 Member
    I would love to get one, but they are HUGE! Doesn't look so good on women in my opinion.
  • Coolravens
    Coolravens Posts: 5 Member
    Nayners21 wrote: »
    I would love to get one, but they are HUGE! Doesn't look so good on women in my opinion.

I agree with you completely - it is HUGE. I recently got the Charge HR and one of my biggest complaints is how masculine it looks. Of course I could only get it in black, one of the other colors may have helped.
  • mmgavitt

I don't mind the size except that if you want to wear it for sleep tracking it awkward.
  • Tewmom1
    Tewmom1 Posts: 9 Member
    I am patiently waiting for the Charge HR release. I have the One and wear it everyday. I like the HR monitor feature. Will wear my chest strap with my polar watch along with the Charge HR for a week to see how they compare when I am working out. As for the daily HR feature, I am interested in monitoring that during the day as I struggle, even on meds, to keep my BP and resting HR in the normal limits.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I am seriously considering it but will wait until more people have one and I can get more user feedback. I have a flex, which I love. I don't need all of the extra things the Surge does but I do want a continuous HRM. The Charge HR would be the best for my needs but I need something that is water resistant because much of my cardio is in the pool. The Surge is water resistant like the flex is.
  • Nayners21
    Nayners21 Posts: 76 Member
    Coolravens wrote: »

I agree with you completely - it is HUGE. I recently got the Charge HR and one of my biggest complaints is how masculine it looks. Of course I could only get it in black, one of the other colors may have helped.

Yea, maybe another color might help it to look more feminine. Ill have to test it out.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    I bought the Charge 2 weeks ago and plan on purchasing the Charge HR as well when it comes out.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    I was hoping the Charge HR would eliminate me needing to use two devices. I wear a Zip and when I workout, I also track with the Polar FT4 HRM. I do a cardio kickboxing class and it doesn't appear (based on the Fitbit FAQs) that boxing will be accurately tracked.
  • Acacia2India
    Acacia2India Posts: 446 Member
    I'll be getting one of the HR versions of FB once they come out and doing a side by side comparison just like I did with the FB One/Flex. My One has helped me lose 50+ lbs but I know that its not exactly right as I am eating a tad more than what MFP/FB says I should eat and I am still (very slowly) losing weight.

I want to try the new versions to see what TDEE number I get based on the "all day" HR input. If its no difference than my One, I will return it and keep eating a bit more than suggested.

Sadly, there is no correlation between HR and calorie burn outside of aerobic exercise.

They won't use HR for that purpose during the day, merely to provide some more daily info to perhaps find meaningful, or at least they'll try to convince you it is.

Really? Then what's the point? This is one of the reasons I was waiting for this model.

Direct from FB's site: "Monitor heart rate automatically and continuously right on your wrist to accurately track calorie burn, maintain workout intensity, maximize training and optimize health"

Bah-humbug.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I plan to get the Surge, but it annoys me that the only thing they have said so far is "early 2015" for the release date. Can't they be more precise than that?
  • heybales
    I'll be getting one of the HR versions of FB once they come out and doing a side by side comparison just like I did with the FB One/Flex. My One has helped me lose 50+ lbs but I know that its not exactly right as I am eating a tad more than what MFP/FB says I should eat and I am still (very slowly) losing weight.

I want to try the new versions to see what TDEE number I get based on the "all day" HR input. If its no difference than my One, I will return it and keep eating a bit more than suggested.

Sadly, there is no correlation between HR and calorie burn outside of aerobic exercise.

They won't use HR for that purpose during the day, merely to provide some more daily info to perhaps find meaningful, or at least they'll try to convince you it is.

Really? Then what's the point? This is one of the reasons I was waiting for this model.

Direct from FB's site: "Monitor heart rate automatically and continuously right on your wrist to accurately track calorie burn, maintain workout intensity, maximize training and optimize health"

Bah-humbug.

And be very afraid if they are claiming something that studies have clearly shown have absolutely no correlation.

Heart rate and below aerobic exercise zone calorie burn. Totally unrelated. And for both men and women, avg start of the aerobic zone is 90 bpm.
    There is a whole lot of daily activity below that.

Someone could hope and wish all they like that it would be great to be related - it just isn't though.