Coconut oil

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    This time of year I love it for baking my Christmas cookies. It is a great replacement for butter but remember you will have a coconut taste to your cookie. It is also a great moisturizer this time of year when your skin gets really dry and flaky.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    I guess the question is, why? What do you think coconut oil is going to do for you?

I think she doesn't know, which is why she's asking us. So maybe answer her question if you have helpful info to contribute.

Based on the statement that OP has "read so much about the benefits" of coconut oil, I'm guessing she's been hooked by a bunch of woo nonsense. There's nothing wrong with asking questions for clarification. Perhaps I can better answer her questions if I have more information. Maybe back up off my ish if you can't answer my question?

Never.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Coconut oil is not some magic oil. It is just oil. It is 120 calories per 14 grams (1 tablespoon), which you have to account for in your food diary.

I use it to cook everyday (when I don't use butter instead). Have I seen some dramatic miracle weight loss? No. Have I seen my skin go from dull and drab to glowing and radiant? No. Have I seen my dental health dramatically improve as of late? No. It's a good way to get in some fats, but it's not a miracle in a container.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited December 2014
    Gotta say, it does work mighty well keeping my skin moisturized and lasts for quiet some time.

I don't cook with it because it using the same tub doesn't seem at all sanitary and I still have a huge bottle of olive oil my sister gave me from Costcos.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    I use it on my elbows, lips, hair, and to remove makeup :) I intend to cook with it, but just haven't yet.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    i consume about 100g of coconut oil a day. Blend it in my coffee, melt it over my veggies and cook my meat in it. Great stuff.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    I switched to frying my eggs in coconut oil instead of olive oil because it tastes better, so there's that.
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    I use it to cook, I use it on my skin after the shower, I put it on my lips as a moisturizer, I use it as a make up remover and I put it in my hair. I'm coconut oil obsessed! Love it!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Makeup remover my go to definitely. Also, cooking with it seems to provide fat MACROS which is good too ;)
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Coconut oil is great to pop popcorn ... great for baking ... and also helpful for heartburn. A take a spoonful if I feel that reflux kind of burn and it helps soothes it. Oh, in a small container, I mix coconut oil and lavender or tea tree oil together and dab it on blemishes. It works!
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    I put butter, coconut oil and heavy cream in my coffee - blended (makes ~2 cups) and I'm full until dinner. I do this about 3-times per week. I would say everyone has their opinions of the good/bad aspect, if you like it and it falls into your nutrition regimen then do what works for you.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Extra virgin should not have much flavor. I use it to sautee things at higher heat, since it's more heat stable and has a higher smoke point than olive oil. I'll also sometimes use it in baked goods. Otherwise, I use olive oil primarily, and butter occasionally.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    I use it all the time for making omelets in a skillet. I love it personally, I find the eggs never stick to the pan, as they did often with I can't believe it's not butter spread, and sometimes Pam cooking spray. It works better than butter even, in terms of not sticking! It does add a slight tropical flavor to the eggs, but I actually really enjoy this, and I just feel like the result is outstanding - I would never give up my coconut oil for the world haha x)
    As for health benefits, though, I haven't personally noticed a difference since I've switched. Maybe if you usually consume cups of oil you may notice, but for me, one tablespoon in the morning is hardly enough to really tell. It may suppress appetite, may give you more energy, who knows? While I would love to support these claims, unfortunately if I did so it'd be more psychological than anything.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,868 Member
    IMO this is a fad thing, just a trend.
    Tell that to the indigenous people of the tropics that have been consuming coconut oil for thousands of years.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,868 Member
    I switched to frying my eggs in coconut oil instead of olive oil because it tastes better, so there's that.
    Fail.....butter with eggs, everyone knows that. j/k

• carriecarrio
    carriecarrio Posts: 70 Member
    I use it for baking and raw/no-bake vegan treats
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    I love coconut oil for frying, i don't burn it as easily as i do other oils. I also use it to coat my hands and elbows before i go to sleep. I have poofy fly-away hair in the winter so i use it instead of styling products. My daughter uses it in place of chap stick.

My cat loves it. If she hears me open the jar, she will get up from a dead sleep and beg for it.
  • bd208
    bd208 Posts: 41 Member
    There are a lot of MYTHS about coconut oil.

Myth #1 - Coconut Oil contains a lot of fat so it must be fattening.

Truth - Not all fat makes you fat. Certain fats do cause weight gain, but other good fats will actually burn unwanted fat off your body and accelerate your metabolism.

Myth #2 - Coconut Oil contains almost all saturated fat so it must be bad for you.

Truth - Saturated Fat is not the cause of heart disease, weight gain and high cholesterol. Saturated Fat has been falsely accused and it is SUGAR that is Enemy Numero Uno

Myth #3 - Coconut Oil should be avoided by those who are at risk for heart disease .

Truth - The fat in coconut oil is one of the healthiest oils you can consume (yes, even for those with heart disease). It is rich in lauric acid, which is known for its antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal properties and contains no trans fat. The saturated fat in coconut oil is different than many other oils in that it is of the medium-chain fatty acid (MCFA) variety. The body digests MCFAs more easily and sends these fats directly to the liver where they are immediately converted into energy. A fat that is used to make energy instead of storing it on our bodies.

I use unrefined, organic coconut oil for all of my cooking needs. 1 - 2 tsps for most cooking is more than enough. You can even use it raw if you like, I don't think it has much of a taste but it doesnt taste bad. I usually have about 2-3 total Tbsp per day which is a perfect amount for a fat burning eating plan. While it's really good for you, there's no need to go overboard

Not sure why people put it in coffee....maybe as a cream substitute. Not sure if i would do that but i would try anything once!
    Good sensible information!!! I love Coconut Oil and use it and Avacado Oil for alot of things....have been using it long before it was a "fad" as one person put it...the benefits are great!!!