Sports Bras.

Ladies, I'm thinking about jogging/running and was wondering what sports bra will actually work. It feels like I just get frustrated every time I go to try some on in a store and none of them offer the support they promise.

Any input appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Wear 2. I have to.
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    edited December 2014
    I have the Armour Bra by Under Armour. I'm a DD and while there is still some bounce (with girls this big there will always be bounce) it isn't as bad and I feel more secure. The model I have is older than the one's they have now but I would definately buy another. I've finished C25K and plan on building my mileage starting in Jan. I run 3-4 times a week. I hope this helps.
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Are you US or Europe base?

Valerie- just because you think you have to doesn't mean that's a positive recommendation!
    I used to wear two until I got some advice and now one is enough.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member

Valerie- just because you think you have to doesn't mean that's a positive recommendation!

I'm also not willing to spend $50+ on a bra. I don't do that for regular bras. I wear Danskin sports bras, a moderate impact one underneath for the basic hold and an extreme impact over it for the real hold and shape. I can somewhat get away wearing the extreme impact on it's own but I feel better wearing 2. Cost? $20.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    so a good bra will offer 2 things.

Support- like actual real structural support.
    Compression- to help reduce bounce.

so- you can create that yourself with a standard compression bra on top of a under wire bra- or you can invest in bras that have both.

If you're bigger- those basic target/wal-mart compression bra for 10 bucks aren't going to cut it- you need support AND compression.

As a D I can function fine with an underwire and even a moderate/low support compression bra. I wouldn't run with that- but I jump rope just fine for 5-25 min. it's do-able.

But you want to look for a bra that has BOTH those features. That'll save you $$ instead of just trying to add compression bra on top of compression bra.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Victorias Secret Knockout Bra, best ever!
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    I have massive boobs, so I struggle with this. No 1 sports bar works. I wear 3, sometimes 4 when I exercise. There's not other way to strap these puppies down!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member

Lazy, What workout bra do you currently wear?

OP, Consider these factors when purchasing.

What is your impact level? What size bra do you normally wear?

I always go for the high impact bras with an underwire. Right now I buy Lunair and Wacoal brands.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Title Nine Sports has the best selection of bras and really good consultants to advise you on the phone. The whole company is run by active women, so they "get" the need for good boob holdage.

(Not a shill, just a customer who may or may not have just ordered a ton of clothes from them because they are fantastic)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    I like Lululemon " ta-ta tamer" and "the bust stops here" bras because they have a support strip at the top of the cup, to keep the bounce to a minimum. The compression is solid but not super tight so I don't feel squished, just "controlled", lol. I don't know the highest cup size they carry, but I am a 34DD and they have my size.

The secret to reducing bounce is not so much the support on the bottom, but on the top, to keep them from jumping up in the first place. Bottom support and compression are necessary, of course, but without top support (or extreme compression that essentially is all-over strong support) you will still bounce.

For those of you wearing 3 or 4 bras and still bouncing, it might be worth trying an ace bandage or other compression method over the top 1/3-2/3 of your bust, angled lower in the back to exert downward pressure. Not the prettiest, but it'll keep 'em in line if nothing else does. (in addition to a bra, not instead of.you still want the bottom support and the coverage)

The largest sports bra I ever made was a J-cup with top, bottom, and side control panels, and it worked great (didn't look so cute, admittedly, but under clothes, who cares?). I don't make them anymore because they are super labour-intensive and the cost was prohibitive for most women, but if you are outside the available size ranges and don't mind spending $150-250 on a really good bra, it's an option.
  • mmi783
    mmi783 Posts: 13 Member
    I'm an F cup and so I'm use to spending $$ on bras, which I have come to this conclusion you get what you pay for. I have used a shock absorber run bra (lasted well over a year). It cost around $ 60 not bad, worked great ,a bit hard to get into but once you got use to it, it was fine. Bouncing was a minimum. It had lots of slots so you could tighten straps as time went on. I'm using a Freya sports bra right now ($ 80 ). I can change it from a racer back to regular normal back. Its great too. I find it a bit harder to get to sit just right on my shoulders some time. I'm training for 1/2 marathon right now, and it will be there long after I'm done training
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Under Armour Bras are awesome for running, I have about 5 of them. They arent cheap, but worth every penny, especially in the summer when it's hot and sticky.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I like Nike and Puma for high impact. Those I do not double. I am on the small side now that I've lost weight so I also use the Danskin bras and depending on what activity I plan on doing I may or may not double them but at 2 for $10 not a big deal. Nike stuff I always find on sale at Nordstrom Rack or 24 Hour Fitness. Danskin is just at Walmart.
  • becujo
    becujo Posts: 26 Member
    Moving Comfort today is selling its Rebound Racer bras in the pink color at $25. I swear by these for bounce control!
  • LazyButHealthy
    edited December 2014

I'm also not willing to spend $50+ on a bra. I don't do that for regular bras. I wear Danskin sports bras, a moderate impact one underneath for the basic hold and an extreme impact over it for the real hold and shape. I can somewhat get away wearing the extreme impact on it's own but I feel better wearing 2. Cost? $20.

Well, good for you, like... (sounds like that's what you want to hear).

I spent 25 quid on a brilliant one. Don't know why I would go back to using 2!
  • LazyButHealthy
    edited December 2014

Lazy, What workout bra do you currently wear?

I wear an M&S high-impact underwire.
    High front coverage for bounce, excellent structure, thick padded straps and triple hook back.

It was around £27 or so - definitely under 30.

EDIT - it's £25
    http://www.marksandspencer.com/high-impact-flexible-underwired-sports-a-g-bra/p/p22272977
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    edited December 2014
    Wacoal 855170 (link to Amazon)

I wear a 34DD and I love them (the bands can be tight... i get them in my regular size, but some people recommend ordering these a band size higher)
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    heheheheheh...love the bra talk
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    If you are large breasted, paying $50 for a bra is not a bad investment for your health. We can suffer from back problems and more without sufficient support.

A well-constructed bra will also last a lot longer than a cheap one.

For impact sports, I have a couple of bras that stop me from bouncing and are an incredible change from the unsupportive ones I had before. I have one from Athleta with an underwire and one without that are both compression bras - the underwire one works also for regular use. I also have one by Asics that's pretty good, but nowhere as attractive as the Athleta ones. They cost about $40. With hand washing they'll last a long time.