Those with large phones...

I just got the iPhone 6+, I didn't really think it through; it doesn't fit in my arm band and non of my shorts can fit it.

Are there any recommended arm bands or other 'holders' for a large phone? :D

Replies

• zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    edited December 2014
    I'd recommend a fanny pack. The kind that is designed for running:

me14OnrXOH6EchYT7YdwDSw.jpg

I find arm bands uncomfortable with large phones.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Ipod shuffle clipped to your cap or coller and leave the phone at home. It's what I do and I only have a iPhone5
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    Ipod shuffle clipped to your cap or coller and leave the phone at home. It's what I do and I only have a iPhone5

This is what I do as well. However, when I used to carry my phone on my runs, I liked my Spibelt.
  • octo_pies
    octo_pies Posts: 2 Member
    Armpocket has one, the i35 I think, that's built for larger phones. It's the only one I found that says it will fit my GalaxyS5 while it's in the otterbox defender case. Ipod shuffle wouldn't work for me: I've got my Pandora, C25K, and Endomodo open when I run xD I haven't purchased it yet, but it might be worth looking into for you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I stuff my ipod in my bra- phone stays in my gym backpack.

but I suspect- you don't have a bra... so - fanny pack- or get a small device for music.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    zipa78 wrote: »

Is this a flipbelt? I have one and it's very neat. holds my phone and my keys easily and it's pretty comfortable.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    chunkytfg wrote: »

That's what I do for races but for regular runs, I bring my phone for safety reasons and leave the music at home.

There's probably armbands available on Amazon for the new iphone...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and have had this for awhile. I got an armband case for it from China, which was made for a child (it fits way too tight just to barely wrap around my arm). I don't run, but when I go hiking, I carry a backpack and clip it to my waist. I've taken it running a few times (though this is not a regular activity for me), and have dropped it a few times (fortunately, I have an excellent protective skin) from a soft-sided belt clip case. This only happened because I had headphones coming out of it and I snagged the cord with my swinging arm and yanked it out of the case - gravity did the rest and it landed on the ground. I now use a hard-sided case clipped to my belt and bluetooth headphones, and on the rare occasions I run, I've not had problems.

With that said, I suggest a backpack or fanny pack and bluetooth headphones (to avoid the cord snagging issue I described. Now I know what runners will say:
    1. It is too much weight.
    2. It is too uncomfortable, and the backpack or fanny pack will flop around and annoy me and throw me off balance.

My answer to these points, though likely unpopular, is that I am amazed that runners don't already carry a pack with water, first aid supplies, etc. When I go out for a walk, even I am only 2 miles away from home and I'm in town, I carry some minimal gear to be prepared. When I hike, I carry even more gear - even if I'm only going out for a few hours. It just makes sense to me to be prepared. The additional weight should aid in the workout, and you need to find a bag that fits and can be attached so it doesn't flop around.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    I have a Nike sports belt. The arm bands end up rubbing and shifting.
  • lyttlewon
    My answer to these points, though likely unpopular, is that I am amazed that runners don't already carry a pack with water, first aid supplies, etc. When I go out for a walk, even I am only 2 miles away from home and I'm in town, I carry some minimal gear to be prepared. When I hike, I carry even more gear - even if I'm only going out for a few hours. It just makes sense to me to be prepared. The additional weight should aid in the workout, and you need to find a bag that fits and can be attached so it doesn't flop around.

I have a hand held water bottle with a pocket that I stuff GU and my house key into. Are you talking a full first aid kit, or bandaids for skinned knees?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    lyttlewon wrote: »

I have a hand held water bottle with a pocket that I stuff GU and my house key into. Are you talking a full first aid kit, or bandaids for skinned knees?

Bandages, hydrocortisone cream, and moleskin at least.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member

That's one of the reasons I carry my phone, to call for help if I need it.
    I carry a small first aid kit when I hike. But I run with my phone, my keys, and my Garmin mostly.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Pocket, and if necessary I run the headphone cord inside my shirt to keep it out of the way
  • lindagrimm904
    lindagrimm904 Posts: 87 Member
    I have a small phone, not a iPhone, and I bring band aids, and first-aid cream in case something happens to me or someone else when I'm walking.
  • Killmenext
    Killmenext Posts: 95 Member
    I have a nexus 4, not huge, but I just hold it in my hand while running so i can control music and such.
  • lyttlewon

That's a really good suggestion. I've only needed first aid once, I wrecked my bike, but as much as I run in parks I should carry something. I'm kind of worried about getting attacked by the Canadian geese at some point. Those suckers are aggressive, especially when you run by their babies.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    zipa78 wrote: »

This is genius!! *adds to her fitness Christmas list*
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner

That's a really good suggestion. I've only needed first aid once, I wrecked my bike, but as much as I run in parks I should carry something. I'm kind of worried about getting attacked by the Canadian geese at some point. Those suckers are aggressive, especially when you run by their babies.

Once, at work, there was a goose with an egg in the bushes next to the sidewalk that led to the door. Whenever someone got remotely close, the goose would come out and hiss. We figured out that, if we raised our arm up like we were going to swat at it, it would cower and run away. But as soon as we turned around and continued walking towards the door, that MFer would quietly run up behind us and try to bite us in the butt. So every few seconds, we had to turn around and raise up our arm. It was hilarious to watch... the goose goes running towards the person, they turn around, and it changes direction and continues running, then they turn around and start walking again and the goose turned around again... it was funny.

Canadian Geese do have teeth, though, and can definitely break skin.