Clean Bulk

Hey guys, I'm playing with my macros a little and working on my clean bulk.

Currently I'm reaching around 250g protein, 2700Kcal (+/- eating back Cardio kcals), its the Carbs that I'm wondering about. Currently I'm going to around 240 mixed carbs (for the most part), is this too many do you think?

I'm aiming for a lean bulk and not to pile on Body Fat, continuing my Cardio and eating back as I do, mainly eating back with chicken or using protein suppliments.

Even on my rest days, I'm averaging the same stats, should I really drop down on my rest days? Just trying to figure out a right figure to use.

My stats-
Weight: 13.7 Stone
Height: 6' 2
B/F%: 11.6%

Replies

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    I think you could actually stand to lower your protein intake and increase carbs. FWIW, I'm trying to do a lean bulk at 2200-2300 calories and am consuming almost that number of carbs and less than 100 grams of protein. Granted, I'm a lot smaller, but 250 grams of protein at your size is awfully high.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    edited December 2014
    On rest days, eat 300-400 cals below maintenance to help control fat build up when bulking. Even on days where you're not lifting but doing cardio, cut back cals below maintenance a little. On strength days, 400-500 above maintenance.

I would drop your protein a little. Maybe shoot for 180-200g (just over 1g/lb of lean mass), leave carbs around 250g, and bump up fat with the difference.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    BTW, the macro split I suggested is approx. 30% protein, 40% carbs, 30% fat based on your 2700 cals.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Much appreciated thanks, that does make sense.
    I think I just get so used to bumping my protein that I sometimes don't really realise when I go over and it becomes wasted. Ya know!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    get over this idea of not gaining body fat while bulking.

It'll stunt your growth- putting on muscle is hard enough as it is- don't hamstring yourself getting caught up about a little extra body fat.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    FrenchMob wrote: »
    BTW, the macro split I suggested is approx. 30% protein, 40% carbs, 30% fat based on your 2700 cals.

I can agree with this, however, the other stuff same poster wrote earlier about eating below maintenance some days during a bulk is not a great idea. The only thing you'll do is hamper your gains. Find out your maintenance and eat around 300 cals above that. If you're doing cardio because you love cardio, then have at it. If you're doing cardio because you think it'll decrease your fat gain, then you're wrong. Cardio burns calories and will just give you more to eat back. It's not a magical "fat-burning" tool.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    I'd lose some of the protein in favour of carbs. And 2700 sounds pretty low for a guy your height (even if you're eating back exercise cals).
  • PwrLftr82
    edited December 2014
    3laine75 wrote: »
    I'd lose some of the protein in favour of carbs. And 2700 sounds pretty low for a guy your height (even if you're eating back exercise cals).

Good point. I'm eating 2700 cals/day as a 5'6", 130 lb female.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Drop the protein to 190, eat the extra calories in carbs, eat over maintenance 300-500 calories err day. Gain .5-.75 lbs a week.

What pwrlftr said about cardio is true. Get a little fat, cut it later.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    On rest days, eat 300-400 cals below maintenance to help control fat build up when bulking. Even on days where you're not lifting but doing cardio, cut back cals below maintenance a little. On strength days, 400-500 above maintenance.

I would drop your protein a little. Maybe shoot for 180-200g (just over 1g/lb of lean mass), leave carbs around 250g, and bump up fat with the difference.

If bulking is the goal, this doesn't make any sense. Forget about putting on any fat, you'd be lucky to put on muscle. Also, there is no magic macro split for lean bulking.

OP - listen to @leadingmuscle, @pwrlftr82 and @jorocka. You can't bulk without putting on some fat, cardio for cardiovascular health is one thing - cardio because you fear getting fat won't help you build muscle. Find your maintenance, and for a lean bulk eat 250-500 calories over everyday. No need to calorie cycle. .5-.75/lbs per week will minimize, not eliminate fat gain.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

ummm why would you do that when bulking?
  • ndj1979
    OP - how much cardio are you doing?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    To amplify the good responses, you have about 48 hours of increased muscle synthesis after a workout but also a slight increase in catabolism when not in an energy surplus for the same time so you get a net gain in synthesis but if you cut your calories you will not max those gains. Unless you aim to recomp best to stay in an energy surplus on rest days as well.

ETA but that doesn't mean it has to as big surplus; a couple hundred cals should be enough.
  • AMonari
    AMonari Posts: 49 Member
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Is this on ur training days or rest days?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    You need a surplus on rest days too!!
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited December 2014
    ndj1979 wrote: »

On upper and legs days I do a 20 minute warmup on the tredmill (usually at about 14kmph).. My life goals have to come into it too, I'm training for the Royal Marine 3 day Lympstone course shortly, I I have to stay agile as well and gain upper body strength... I'm not looking for HUGE gains.. just enough, ya know!!

I also do a dedicated Cardio session which usually consists of around 60 mins at 13kmph and then static bike HIIT training.
  • ndj1979
    Adam2k10 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

On upper and legs days I do a 20 minute warmup on the tredmill (usually at about 14kmph).. My life goals have to come into it too, I'm training for the Royal Marine 3 day Lympstone course shortly, I I have to stay agile as well and gain upper body strength... I'm not looking for HUGE gains.. just enough, ya know!!

I also do a dedicated Cardio session which usually consists of around 60 mins at 13kmph and then static bike HIIT training.

how many days per week is your cardio and what is average duration?

You can continue to do cardio and bulk; it is just the more cardio that you do is going to increase the number of calories you need to consume. Since you are training for an event, backing off cardio does not sound like an option ..I would say find your maintenance level at your current cardio level and add 250 calories a day and see how it goes...
  • PwrLftr82
    AMonari wrote: »
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

Is this on ur training days or rest days?

This is on all days. My TDEE is around 2300-2400.
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    I do 3 days a week swimming and 3 days Trx. and I added some muscle.
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    eat 3-4g of carbs, 2-2.2g protein,1-1.2g of fat per 1kg of your body and increase your calorie intake to 250-300 more than your maintenance....but if you want to gain mass more quickly (and at the same time generate more fat) then increase number of calories even more. Supplement yourself with creatine after workout....but to make the most of it make sure you had a proper training. Do cardio max 2 times a week....all suggestions here will be schematic and everyone needs to evaluate whats best for him...so evaluate your progress...check weight....and your body fat....if you generate too much fat but not see what you would expect in muscle definition then make adjustments to your diet.