Weight Loss Surgery for Morbidly Obese

I am considering weight loss surgery, I am sure the bashing will happen, any comments for or against?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited December 2014
    This man lost way more than you need to, without surgery.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/CyberEd312
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    it's not, as far as I can see, an easy route

discuss it with your primary physician
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    It is not easy. It take a lot of work before and post op. Look up the various types of bariatric surgery. Discuss with your physician what might be best for you. A good resource is Bariatricpal.com
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    edited December 2014
    I lost 109lbs. to date (since 2009). I considered it in 2009 when I started my journey. Though I wasn't morbidly obese, I was only about 15lbs. shy (and the rate I was going I would have hit it quickly). Honestly? I'm going to tell you what everyone told you. It's just too risky. I crash dieted with Atkins (the old style of atkins 20g of carbs a day...MAX) and mostly walking till I got into the 100's (started running when I was about 210lbs. for a few minutes at a time). The hardest part is maintaining, but if you can get in the right frame of mind to discipline yourself, go for it. Your bariatric surgeon is going to put you on a "diet" anyways, they have to exhaust all options for insurance reasons...so why not give it a try?
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    There is a group on here, VSGers, that has information about sleeve surgery. I'm sure there are groups dedicated to bypass as well. If you are truly considering surgery, attend a seminar presented by a surgeon, and also look up some current research on each of the surgeries. You would be better served by asking a hospital or college librarian to help you with a lit search than spending hours getting bashed on the internet.

My opinion is that weight loss surgery is exactly that -- weight LOSS surgery. I lost 100 pounds with a sleeve, and have kept almost all of it off, but I work very hard to maintain, just like people who lose without surgery.

It is not a miracle, or an easy way out, but it can be a very helpful tool, if you have the right mindset.

Cue the bashing now....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I think you need to think through what the pros and cons are of that approach, and there is an extensive preparation period (or should be).

I think the no-surgery approach is easier, at least for me, in that it avoids the risks and complications of surgery and the post-surgery aspects strike me as in many ways as difficult as simply dieting and while they may have some positives for keeping weight off they clearly are not foolproof. But that doesn't mean the other is not the right way to go for some. I'd say make sure you've seriously tried the alternatives, though, and talk to as many people as possible who have had experience with the surgeries.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    I can't speak to someone bashing your choice. But I can speak to the dangers of weight loss surgery (or any surgery for that matter). It's not a choice to be taken lightly. In many cases there are other choices you can make. One would think that weight loss surgery is the best and/or fastest way to massive weight loss, but that's just not always the case. A determined person can (and will, it happens all the time) lose large amounts of weight just as fast by diet and exercise as they can using weight loss surgery.

In the end it's all about your health. You are the only one who knows whether it's the right thing to do. I will say this though, if the reasons for you doing it are because you don't think you have the willpower, those are also reasons not to have the surgery.

What ever your decision, I wish for you a safe and healthy journey. And remember, there's always people here to help and offer support.

-Banks
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    it's not, as far as I can see, an easy route

discuss it with your primary physician

All of this.

I would consider it a much harder route than the natural method.

That said it can have a good rate of success so I wouldn't rule it out.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    edited December 2014
    It's a cop-out that could cost you your life if you get complications. Anyone can do it naturally. I personally know 2 people that did the surgery 6 months ago. Guess what? They loss some weight (around 40-50 lbs), but now they're back at Popeyes and McDonalds and they're wondering why they're no longer losing.

Fat loss is a psychological issue, not a physiological one.
  • kbear621
    kbear621 Posts: 32 Member
    This is not a decision anyone can make for you. I had RNY this year and anyone who tells you wyour are taking the asy way out has no idea what they are talking about. You have to be willing to completely change the way you eat and the way you look at food. That said, personally, i would do it again in a heartbeat. For me it was the right decision, but it is a very personal one. If you are not ready to make a complete lifestyle change, it is probably not for you. If it is not a last resort, it is probably not for you.

Good luck on your weight loss journey. Feel free to friend me and send me any questions you have about the process. I would be happy to share my experiences.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I don't think it is a cop-out. The formula for weight loss is simple but making it actually happen is not easy for everybody. I can see how it would be a good decision for some people. I know four people who have had it done. Some have had very good results and some not so good, due to their efforts (or lack thereof) after surgery. As kbear621 wrote, it requires a complete lifestyle change.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Many here have started as morbidly obese and are now healthy, or well on their way. I started with a BMI of 52.5, and even though I'm still considered morbidly obese at 60 pounds lighter, I'm very confident that I can make it to a healthy weight, and yes, I have always been obese, even as a kid. It hasn't been easy, but it hasn't been nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. I used to think surgery was my only option as well, turned out I wasn't dedicated enough or in the right mindset earlier.

Try calorie counting now and fully do your research. Like I said, doing this the natural way hasn't been that hard, but I would imagine doing it with surgery would be even harder, it is a non reversible life long decision that will effect you forever, don't take it lightly.

Best of luck in whatever you do.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    My sister-in-law had a lap band done fifteen months ago. She lost quite a bit of weight, but it's been difficult for her due to complications.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    It comes with a host of pretty severe side effects and high risk of complications, including a fairly high risk of death on the operating table. It's not an easy route by any means. It's an option for some, but just make sure you're aware of all the risks so that you go in with your eyes open.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Not bashing, but I am personally very much against any sort of bariatric surgery for weightloss.

In my mind, it is a cure for only the symptoms of a much larger issue. Sure, you can get the surgery, shrink your stomach, be unable to overeat, and therefore force yourself into a calorie deficit at the cost of a whole slew of digestive related issues, but you're still doing nothing to help bad eating, or any other unhealthy habits. Then, when you've lost a whole bunch of weight, and you're able to start eating a little more, all of that weight starts to come back on because you've learned nothing, and you're still left with issues like dumping for the rest of your life.

Three people in my personal life have had the surgery. Two of them had it right around the same time, and had lost over 200lbs initially, but have since gained half of that back over the last five years. The third one has managed to keep the weight off for two years now, but is just as unhealthy as she was 150lbs previous.

If it is considered a dire medical emergency, then go for it, but if it is just being used as a quick way to get the results in place of hard work/dedication to actually getting your weight down naturally, then it is nothing but harmful in my eyes.

Also, yes... I am morbidly obese, and realize the appeal of surgery. But, the bigger appeal for me is being able to say that I hit my healthy/goal weight myself through sheer, sometimes torturous persistence. It might just be me, but I would feel as though I supremely cheated myself if I went that route.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    It appears to me that surgery forces a person to practice what they should be doing already. If you can eat a similar diet without surgery, you would be better off. If you can't, then it is likely that it will also be difficult after the surgery also, but then you have very little choice.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    What are the pros and cons for you
    What have you tried so far? Have you looked into why those attempts didn't work?
    How much do you have to lose?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Any surgery entails risk and surgery risks are much higher for obese people.

Be very sure that you cannot do it on your own before you have surgery.
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    I just read this article today. The language is a little bit blue, if that's an issue for you.

http://www.cracked.com/article_21828_6-bizarre-things-nobody-tells-you-about-weight-loss-surgery.html

I don't know anything about it personally, but this article (admittedly coming from a "comedy" site) has some interesting points.