Looking for a gym?

2»

Replies

• lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Yeah I agree. My gym is very no thrills and not particularly inviting but has all the equipment I would need and is cheap. I imagine they get a lot of sign ups that quit immediately like other gyms just on the price of their nearby competitors.
  • Kasuad
    Kasuad Posts: 30 Member
    I paid $449 for three years at 24Hr fitness and then $49 a year after that for access to all their gyms up to Sport level. I've had the membership for over 5 years now and usually go 5 days a week. I am not ever going to not pay them the $49 a year and lose this deal.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Yeah, my first thought was "Is this a psychologist making comments about how gym lay-outs effect people psychologically?"

My gym is one of the greatest in the state, but it only cost $10 because I work for the University. If I was an outsider it'd be about $80 per month I think.

But I do fall into the the "It's OK if I don't use it cause it's so cheap" mindset.

But I also love outdoor activity and hike around a lot.

In my gym there are three "stories".

The very top story is a track with white cardio and more basic level machines. Intimidation level, maybe 1.

The middle level is the cardio room, a rock wall, and some crawling and stretching stuff and the class rooms. Intimidation level 0.

Now the bottom floor, if you're brave enough to descend (which I always do, I'm no novice) There's a few weight rooms, racket ball courts, basketball courts, more advanced machines (black, not white!), free weights, in two rooms and some weird things I don't understand if you want to skateboard in a pipe there's one down there too... All the guys pumping iron are college guys, Intimidation level: 10 or more!

So there are "psychologically intimidating" areas in my non-psychologist opinion, but fortunately I can do two full levels if I don't feel like rocking out and being a bad ***** that day.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Smells like axe-grinding to me. Heck, I'm sure my gym loves people showing up -- that way they can sell them personal training, supplements, and after-workout protein shakes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2014
    Yeah, my first thought was "Is this a psychologist making comments about how gym lay-outs effect people psychologically?"

My gym is one of the greatest in the state, but it only cost $10 because I work for the University. If I was an outsider it'd be about $80 per month I think.

But I do fall into the the "It's OK if I don't use it cause it's so cheap" mindset.

But I also love outdoor activity and hike around a lot.

In my gym there are three "stories".

The very top story is a track with white cardio and more basic level machines. Intimidation level, maybe 1.

The middle level is the cardio room, a rock wall, and some crawling and stretching stuff and the class rooms. Intimidation level 0.

Now the bottom floor, if you're brave enough to descend (which I always do, I'm no novice) There's a few weight rooms, racket ball courts, basketball courts, more advanced machines (black, not white!), free weights, in two rooms and some weird things I don't understand if you want to skateboard in a pipe there's one down there too... All the guys pumping iron are college guys, Intimidation level: 10 or more!

So there are "psychologically intimidating" areas in my non-psychologist opinion, but fortunately I can do two full levels if I don't feel like rocking out and being a bad ***** that day.
    My university gym is awesome too. I only wish it had an indoor track. (I don't think they could justify it weather wise). I also wish there were more free weights in the faculty/staff area since the regular area isn't always open to non-classes. But it's free, which is awesome. My health insurance also comes with gym access at a whole set of gyms (including some Ys with good free weights). That's great too.

• JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    I have a great gym which is one building over from where I work, it's low cost and convenient. I have no excuse not to go work out, it's a basic gym no frills and since most people fall into the morning and lunch workout group, us evening people usually have it all to ourselves.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    LCloops wrote: »
    I have a great gym which is one building over from where I work, it's low cost and convenient. I have no excuse not to go work out, it's a basic gym no frills and since most people fall into the morning and lunch workout group, us evening people usually have it all to ourselves.

nice!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Doesnt this article state the obvious. Its not just gyms. Any business which requires you to pay an annnual or monthly subscription is going to make more money if you dont use their service. banks are buil on the idea that everyone doesnt ask for their money back all at the same time. Airlines sell more tickets than they have seats for.

People start and then fail to show at gyms for obvious reasons, namely for some its hard and boring. These days the gym market is more competitive with monthly not yearly contracts being more common place and you cna cancel more easily.

At some point the person joining has to take responsibility, if they arent going to use it then dont join doh.

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    edited December 2014
    They create gyms that are meant to look like bars
    One of the first, or second gyms, I joined (on my own, not family membership) actually did have a bar and disco lights with dance floor. The weights were located in one of the two disused racquetball courts downstairs.

It may have had the bar and dance floor, but it was still more of a gym than PF.

Okay, when I was searching for a gym, I had to look across three neighborhoods. I found one that the free weight section actually has a GLASS FLOOR! I *kitten* you not! You can look thru the floor to the aerobics room. I'm guessing NO dropping! Lol! :p

Unfortunately with all these jokes of a gym, when I finally found one with a decent weight section, it was the only one that ANYone seriously looking to train in three neighborhoods had found too, and in my limited 45 minutes in the afternoon, I can't even get NEAR the free weights, single squat rack or benches. Thank goodness my lil girl starts kindergarten next year and I'll go in the morning. But I should totally open a good gym in one of these neighborhoods (too bad everyone is too broke in Greece for it to actually make any money :s )

• lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    They create gyms that are meant to look like bars
    One of the first, or second gyms, I joined (on my own, not family membership) actually did have a bar and disco lights with dance floor. The weights were located in one of the two disused racquetball courts downstairs.

It may have had the bar and dance floor, but it was still more of a gym than PF.

Okay, when I was searching for a gym, I had to look across three neighborhoods. I found one that the free weight section actually has a GLASS FLOOR! I *kitten* you not! You can look thru the floor to the aerobics room. I'm guessing NO dropping! Lol! :p

Unfortunately with all these jokes of a gym, when I finally found one with a decent weight section, it was the only one that ANYone seriously looking to train in three neighborhoods had found too, and in my limited 45 minutes in the afternoon, I can't even get NEAR the free weights, single squat rack or benches. Thank goodness my lil girl starts kindergarten next year and I'll go in the morning. But I should totally open a good gym in one of these neighborhoods (too bad everyone is too broke in Greece for it to actually make any money :s )

That glass floor bit made me laugh harder than I should have LOL

I agree and the monstrous initiation fees that some have, my god. Like the equinox I hear is $1000 or less?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I'm always kind of amused by second floor weight rooms- the New york city sports club up north I went to had free weights up stairs- all cardio down stairs- I mean it kind of makes sense to avoid the constant pounding from teh treadmills- but they had some serious weight up stairs- seemed like it was counter productive!!!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    My community rec center costs 38 bucks a month and another 10 for my daughter. So far so good. Dreading New years resolutioners...
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    I'm a bad man, but I thought "glass floors" and "low tops." lol.

Okay I will go home now.
  • JoRocka
    no no no- you can stay- we like you're kind around here ;)
  • civilizedworm
    JoRocka wrote: »
    no no no- you can stay- we like you're kind around here ;)

That is very nice of you to say JoRocka!

But I am still a bad man. :( lol
  • JoRocka
    but we like the bad menz ;) LOL they are more fun than the good ones!
  • civilizedworm
    JoRocka wrote: »
    but we like the bad menz ;) LOL they are more fun than the good ones!

Okay. I'll stay. lol