Gaining 10 pounds without getting "fat"

2»

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    and basically want to gain weight without gaining much fat. I'm not trying to do any body building-type stuff,

so... exactly what do you want to gain?

dreams and pony farts and unicorn tears?

Here's the shake down. And I mean this honestly and fervently without malice:
    1.) you need to eat more than fruits and veggies. carbs and proteins- meats- ice cream too.
    2.) you are severely underweight for someone as tall as yourself.
    3.) You need to be lifting
    4.) you WILL gain fat. You are a human being- you're SUPPOSED to have fat- fat is not bad- fat is not the debil. FAT IS GOOD FOR YOU. To much fat- not so much.
    5.) if you feel that going over 120-130 pounds is going to make you obese- and or eating to much will make you fat- you probably need to go see a therapist.

I'm 5'8 sitting squarely at 160 pounds. believe you me- I can turn some heads- I'm unquestionably NOT fat. You're deeply underweight. and if you want to put on some weight- AND not get fat- you need to eat more food. and you need to lift some weights.

or- I mean- I guess go ham on the sushi and soy sauce and hope it's all water weight in which case you'll probably look puffy and swollen- but I mean- your choice.

This!!!

clapping-crowd-applause.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    kuliejulie wrote: »
    Hi! I'm a 21-year-old female looking to gain about 10 pounds. I'm currently 5'9 and 120 pounds. Ideally I'd like to be 130, and I want to maintain a healthy, realtively clean diet while gaining the weight (I eat pretty healthy, lots of fruit and veggies, it makes me feel good!). I work out 5-6 times a week (3 days of running and a couple Blogilates Youtube videos, 2 days of strength, 1 day of yoga or strength), and basically want to gain weight without gaining much fat. I'm not trying to do any body building-type stuff, just maintain my tone while gaining a few pounds. I would appreciate any advice you can give me! I'm a little lost in all the carb/protein/fat ratios and macros, and could use some help figuring this all out!

I wish more young people had your view on eating lifestyle and a great reason for doing so. If they would then they would be much healthy 40 years down the road I now understand. When one is young it is often hard to think of one's health 40 years down the road but in hindsight I wish I had been more 'aware' of eating lifestyle value 40 years ago.
    please leave-and please for the love of all things holy don't encourage bad behavior. There is nothing healthy about her view point and "lifestyle" which you aren't even remotely qualified to assess given that all we know is she eats fruits and veggies and is vastly underweight.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Hi! I'm a 21-year-old female looking to gain about 10 pounds. I'm currently 5'9 and 120 pounds. Ideally I'd like to be 130, and I want to maintain a healthy, realtively clean diet while gaining the weight (I eat pretty healthy, lots of fruit and veggies, it makes me feel good!). I work out 5-6 times a week (3 days of running and a couple Blogilates Youtube videos, 2 days of strength, 1 day of yoga or strength), and basically want to gain weight without gaining much fat. I'm not trying to do any body building-type stuff, just maintain my tone while gaining a few pounds. I would appreciate any advice you can give me! I'm a little lost in all the carb/protein/fat ratios and macros, and could use some help figuring this all out!

I wish more young people had your view on eating lifestyle and a great reason for doing so. If they would then they would be much healthy 40 years down the road I now understand. When one is young it is often hard to think of one's health 40 years down the road but in hindsight I wish I had been more 'aware' of eating lifestyle value 40 years ago.

more BS from the fake profile/troll account...
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member

40 years down the road, if she remains severely underweight, she's going to be at risk of osteoporosis, among lots of other things. Depending on her weight history, she could have bone density issues now, or even cardiac issues.

You'd think this would be obvious, but don't encourage underweight young women to continue with unhealthy behaviors.

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    You're going to have to get into a serious lifting program if you want to gain 10lbs of muscle and minimize the fat gain (this is the assumption you bring when you say gain 10lbs w/o fat). 2 strength training days a week isn't going to cut it. Take 4 days with a decent body split and take out some of the cardio days. Eat enough protein, fats and carbs to fuel your workouts and recoveries. I assume you got the micros in check
  • kuliejulie
    kuliejulie Posts: 4 Member
    Hi! Thanks for all your wonderful advice. I guess I'd like to clarify something: I'm not looking to gain 10 pounds of muscle. I KNOW I'm going to gain some fat, it's inevitable. I just wanted to see if you guys had any tips on how to do it in a healthier way than just like, eating all the time. Again, I'm still unclear on the proper carb/protein/fat ratio and what exactly the macros I should be aiming for are. Is it what's preset on MyFitnessPal, or should I change them? I also will be focusing more on strength and lifting heavier at the gym. I love running (it gets me out of my own head) so I will continue to do that while making up for calories lost with more food.

Again, thank you everyone for your advice, a lot of it is really helpful and encouraging! 5'9 and 120 lbs is underweight. I naturally have a small frame, so 130 is a goal weight I talked over with my doctor and we both agreed that 10 pounds is what I need. So, if you have any more advice I am more than willing to hear it!
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited December 2014
    So, you don't want muscle and you don't fat, but you want to add ten pounds somehow? Is that correct?
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Find your TDEE (total calories burned in a day) and add about 300 calories to that. You should be eating at least 100g protein and at least 50g fat every day (preferably more) and the rest of your calories you can distribute between carbs, fats, and protein as you see fit, though more carbs will benefit you for gaining weight.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    I'm happy to hear that you have a positive attitude and are okay with gaining some fat. Here are a few things to think about:

1. Your weight is going to jump around at the beginning. It's not fat -- depending on your previous intake, it's going to be glycogen and water. It's freaky to see it do that, so try to be prepared. You just have to ride it out.
    2. The scale only tells part of the story. Like I said earlier, I don't know your weight history, but if you've been underweight for a long period of time, you may gain some bone density and other body tissue as you gain weight. That's all invisible weight -- not fat or muscle, and nothing to freak out about. Because of this...
    3. Take measurements and progress pictures as you go. In the beginning, your physical dimensions may not change much at all, but the scale might. If you get heavier but don't get "bigger," that's totally fine, right?
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    So, you don't want muscle and you don't fat, but you want to add ten pounds somehow? Is that correct?

10 pounds of air.
  • JoRocka
    Hi! Thanks for all your wonderful advice. I guess I'd like to clarify something: I'm not looking to gain 10 pounds of muscle. I KNOW I'm going to gain some fat, it's inevitable. I just wanted to see if you guys had any tips on how to do it in a healthier way than just like, eating all the time. Again, I'm still unclear on the proper carb/protein/fat ratio and what exactly the macros I should be aiming for are. Is it what's preset on MyFitnessPal, or should I change them? I also will be focusing more on strength and lifting heavier at the gym. I love running (it gets me out of my own head) so I will continue to do that while making up for calories lost with more food.

Again, thank you everyone for your advice, a lot of it is really helpful and encouraging! 5'9 and 120 lbs is underweight. I naturally have a small frame, so 130 is a goal weight I talked over with my doctor and we both agreed that 10 pounds is what I need. So, if you have any more advice I am more than willing to hear it!

it's reaonsable to have a small goal of 5-10 pounds.

What we collectively are going to suggest to you is a lifting program and a small surplus.

so- figure out what you are eating now currently- how much you are eating to maintain your current size- is it accurate- do you have at least a month or two's worth of data to support/collaborate this?

Okay- great.
    Now- add about 250 calories to that number. (That's a single snickers bar by the way so don't go ham all out ham with all you can eat sushi buffets for 3 months)

The actual macro split is pretty much irrelevant- getting a varied diet with carbs and proteins is important- but all of that will mean nothing if you are not in a calorie surplus.

Okay- good.
    As noted above the first week or two you're probably going to see a really big jump- it's water/glycogen. After 3-4 weeks if the scale doesn't keep moving up- you're going to need to add more food.

Also for 10 lbs- you're going to want to give yourself about 3 months realistically- and I'd hold on to that in terms of maintaining your surplus. It's hard- it kind of sucks- but if you have a minimum time frame to shoot for- it'll work out better so you don't abandon ship on a "fat" day- because trust me- you're going to have them. And invest in stretch pants. lots of them. LOL

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

it's reaonsable to have a small goal of 5-10 pounds.

What we collectively are going to suggest to you is a lifting program and a small surplus.

so- figure out what you are eating now currently- how much you are eating to maintain your current size- is it accurate- do you have at least a month or two's worth of data to support/collaborate this?

Okay- great.
    Now- add about 250 calories to that number. (That's a single snickers bar by the way so don't go ham all out ham with all you can eat sushi buffets for 3 months)

The actual macro split is pretty much irrelevant- getting a varied diet with carbs and proteins is important- but all of that will mean nothing if you are not in a calorie surplus.

Okay- good.
    As noted above the first week or two you're probably going to see a really big jump- it's water/glycogen. After 3-4 weeks if the scale doesn't keep moving up- you're going to need to add more food.

Also for 10 lbs- you're going to want to give yourself about 3 months realistically- and I'd hold on to that in terms of maintaining your surplus. It's hard- it kind of sucks- but if you have a minimum time frame to shoot for- it'll work out better so you don't abandon ship on a "fat" day- because trust me- you're going to have them. And invest in stretch pants. lots of them. LOL

something tells me OP won't have that problem...
  • JoRocka
    LOL_ I suspect not- but I mean- that's what I wanted to do when I first started bulking ;)
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    This is super simple.

But first you are going to have to let go of the idea of Good/Bad or Healthy/Unhealthy with food. You gain weight (any kind of weight) by eating more than you burn. It's really that simple.

Second (and because I'm in the middle of round 2 of trying to gain) even if you ""try" to gain some new muscle, half of your gains will likely be fat as well. It's just how human physiology works. So....get in the weight room and put on some lean mass as well as fat. Your metabolism, body and bone density will thank you later, I promise.

As for macro breakdown.....aim for .8g/lb of lean mass..which is most likely around 70g or so for you. Aim for at least .33g of fat/lb of total body weight (40g) and the rest can be carbs and whatever else you like to eat.

Also....there's no good carbs or good fats or good protein. There is just regular ole' carbs, fat and protein. Eat more. If the scale isn't going up, eat more than that...continue.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    ami5000psu wrote: »

10 pounds of air.
    Probably not, but I don't know, that's why I was trying to get her to define what she is after because I don't quite understand.
  • kuliejulie
    kuliejulie Posts: 4 Member

10 pounds of air.

I'd prefer 10 pounds of butterflies, but air will have to do.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    and basically want to gain weight without gaining much fat. I'm not trying to do any body building-type stuff,

so... exactly what do you want to gain?

dreams and pony farts and unicorn tears?

Here's the shake down. And I mean this honestly and fervently without malice:
    1.) you need to eat more than fruits and veggies. carbs and proteins- meats- ice cream too.
    2.) you are severely underweight for someone as tall as yourself.
    3.) You need to be lifting
    4.) you WILL gain fat. You are a human being- you're SUPPOSED to have fat- fat is not bad- fat is not the debil. FAT IS GOOD FOR YOU. To much fat- not so much.
    5.) if you feel that going over 120-130 pounds is going to make you obese- and or eating to much will make you fat- you probably need to go see a therapist.

I'm 5'8 sitting squarely at 160 pounds. believe you me- I can turn some heads- I'm unquestionably NOT fat. You're deeply underweight. and if you want to put on some weight- AND not get fat- you need to eat more food. and you need to lift some weights.

or- I mean- I guess go ham on the sushi and soy sauce and hope it's all water weight in which case you'll probably look puffy and swollen- but I mean- your choice.

^This
  • JoRocka

10 pounds of air.

I'd prefer 10 pounds of butterflies, but air will have to do.

HA. nice.