How to make fasting effective - some advice?

I've heard lots of things and done some reading, but want to know the best most effective and safe way to fast and lose fast! I have read about the 5:2 method, but what can you eat on your non fast days? How much exercise would you need to do and what kind? I was considering four days of 24 hr fasting (Monday to Friday) where my meal each evening is around 500 calories, then from Friday to Sunday, non fasting. Can you eat what you want, or still have to stick to fat free low cal food? Exercise - I have a treadmill, but no time to go to the gym?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    edited December 2014
    You eat normal on the non-fast days. If you are going to follow the popular 5:2, fast days should be non-consecutive days. Exercise as normal. You may wish to lower the intensity if exercising on fast days.

5:2 by the way is five days non-fasting and two days fasting.

No need to stick to fat free food any time even while fasting. Just make sure you eat foods with good fats and/or use the good fats.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2014
    5:2 is not a way to lose weight fast. Your calorie deficit only occurs on the two fasting days so don't expect more than 1lb a week weight loss.
    If you aren't eating a normal amount on your 5 days you simply aren't following 5:2
    A few minutes reading the 5:2 website would answer your questions - www.thefastdiet.co.uk
    But it seems totally unsuitable for you.

What is the medical emergency that requires you to lose weight fast by the way?
  • Jules190179
    Jules190179 Posts: 57 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    5:2 is not a way to lose weight fast. Your calorie deficit only occurs on the two fasting days so don't expect more than 1lb a week weight loss.
    If you aren't eating a normal amount on your 5 days you simply aren't following 5:2
    A few minutes reading the 5:2 website would answer your questions - www.thefastdiet.co.uk
    But it seems totally unsuitable for you.

What is the medical emergency that requires you to lose weight fast by the way?

Because the 5:2 would lose so little weight, this is why I am thinking about fasting for longer, for a larger loss. I want to lose it fast as I have a whole wardrobe of things I can't fit into any more and don't want to have to buy more larger size clothes. I need to find something easy as I find it hard to stick to diets and find myself yo-yo dieting and getting nowhere. Not eating is simple, and I am busy enough to not think about eating, so it sounds like a good idea. Also, it's Christmas so I am aware I am likely to overeat on certain days. I am 166lb and want to get to 126lb by August next year for my two week holiday in Greece. A lot to lose, and so need to start thinking of a good plan I can stick to for after Christmas.
  • sijomial
    Yes you need to start thinking of a good plan and this isn't it. It also isn't 5:2!

Suggest you do some research into the negative impacts of a VLCD and then you might think again. You have 8 months not 8 weeks.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    You can lose the weight easily by August without going to a fasting extreme. Your clothes will start to fit better once you get rid of the initial bloat.

If you want to try fasting, go moderately at first, see how you go.

Impatience to lose weight and unrealistic weight loss goals are a main cause of people giving up fairly soon after starting...major disappointment in not achieving unrealistic goals quickly....

• Jules190179
    Yes you need to start thinking of a good plan and this isn't it. It also isn't 5:2!

Suggest you do some research into the negative impacts of a VLCD and then you might think again. You have 8 months not 8 weeks.

I know it's not 5:2, it's just I'd read about it and it gave me the idea of taking it to the extreme. Is there a sensible way of fasting then, as many website say different things.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited December 2014

This. What you are proposing is unhealthy and will long-term negative effects on your health.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    Why not follow the 5:2 for 4 weeks see how you go. Make sure Christmas day is a non-fast day. No need to go overboard on the non-fast days though, but do make sure you are not sacrificing too much and allow yourself the occasional treat.
  • Jules190179
    Why not follow the 5:2 for 4 weeks see how you go. Make sure Christmas day is a non-fast day. No need to go overboard on the non-fast days though, but do make sure you are not sacrificing too much and allow yourself the occasional treat.

Thanks - I'll give this a go.
  • Medilia
    Medilia Posts: 230 Member
    Don't fast. Eat at a Calorie defecit (Which is what MFP is for by the way)
    I am now losing half a pound to a pound and a half a week by eating at a deficit and doing HIIT.
    I do 14 hour fasts but they will only increase weight loss if they are been used right. I use them to prevent myself from eating more than 1200 calories a day. Strictly no food after 8pm
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Is the picture on your profile page your current picture? If so, is losing 38 lbs more... realistic and perhaps not too much?

Regardless, 38 lbs isn't a huge number, I would suggest taking it slow. You are on this site which means you have already tried the fast ways to lose weights and failed (like many of us). So please, slow down a little and eat normally, daily, spend some time trying to figure out what works for you and go accordingly.

Fasting works for some folks. I know many use 5:2. I eat only once a day. I used to eat like 1,500 calories daily but on a "cheat day" eat about 3,500. It averaged out since on average I should be eating 2,000 calories per day. So I just "banked" some calories daily and used it to binge a little on my cheat day. I steadily have lost weight and have no regrets since the fast tracks have failed me for decades.

• Jules190179
    taunto wrote: »
    Is the picture on your profile page your current picture? If so, is losing 38 lbs more... realistic and perhaps not too much?

Regardless, 38 lbs isn't a huge number, I would suggest taking it slow. You are on this site which means you have already tried the fast ways to lose weights and failed (like many of us). So please, slow down a little and eat normally, daily, spend some time trying to figure out what works for you and go accordingly.

Fasting works for some folks. I know many use 5:2. I eat only once a day. I used to eat like 1,500 calories daily but on a "cheat day" eat about 3,500. It averaged out since on average I should be eating 2,000 calories per day. So I just "banked" some calories daily and used it to binge a little on my cheat day. I steadily have lost weight and have no regrets since the fast tracks have failed me for decades.

The pic was taken a few years ago! I think 5:2 will be the best way to go as your final paragraph sounds like something that would suit me.

The deficit on MFP tells you to only eat 1200 cals, but this doesn't work. Other MFP members tell me to eat more because of my weight (1500-1600 cals) but this didn't work either. I get frustrated easily and yo-yo, and so think this method might be the one. Slimming world worked, but as soon as you stop, the weight piles back on.
  • Jules190179
    Medilia wrote: »
    Don't fast. Eat at a Calorie defecit (Which is what MFP is for by the way)
    I am now losing half a pound to a pound and a half a week by eating at a deficit and doing HIIT.
    I do 14 hour fasts but they will only increase weight loss if they are been used right. I use them to prevent myself from eating more than 1200 calories a day. Strictly no food after 8pm

I know this and have tried it for a long time. MFP always tells me to eat 1200 cals per day, but this didn't work. Other MFP members tell me to eat between 1500-1600 per day because of my weight. This didn't work either. This is why I am trying other things.
  • sijomial

I know it's not 5:2, it's just I'd read about it and it gave me the idea of taking it to the extreme. Is there a sensible way of fasting then, as many website say different things.

Yes there's loads of sensible ways of fasting, but they all involve eating a suitable number of calories over the course of a day or a week. Funny enough all sensible diets whether fasting diets or not involve eating an appropriate amount of calories. Intermittent fasting can be a great way for some people to achieve adherence (that's why I do 5:2) but calories are still king.

Remember you want to lose fat not just "weight". If you want to be pleased with your results when you get to goal then crash dieting as you proposed in your OP isn't the way to do it.
  • hannydeee
    hannydeee Posts: 155 Member
    Slow and steady wins the race. You say you want to lose 40 pounds by August? You have a lot of time. You don't need to punish yourself by fasting - why not use the tools provided right here? If you set your MFP up to a goal of losing 1 or 1.5 lbs per week you should be there more or less by the time your holiday comes around.
  • Jules190179

Yes there's loads of sensible ways of fasting, but they all involve eating a suitable number of calories over the course of a day or a week. Funny enough all sensible diets whether fasting diets or not involve eating an appropriate amount of calories. Intermittent fasting can be a great way for some people to achieve adherence (that's why I do 5:2) but calories are still king.

Remember you want to lose fat not just "weight". If you want to be pleased with your results when you get to goal then crash dieting as you proposed in your OP isn't the way to do it.

5:2 it is then! Thanks for all of your advice, and for talking me out of desperate measures!!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    taunto wrote: »

The pic was taken a few years ago! I think 5:2 will be the best way to go as your final paragraph sounds like something that would suit me.

The deficit on MFP tells you to only eat 1200 cals, but this doesn't work. Other MFP members tell me to eat more because of my weight (1500-1600 cals) but this didn't work either. I get frustrated easily and yo-yo, and so think this method might be the one. Slimming world worked, but as soon as you stop, the weight piles back on.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055

Read this thread. Don't worry about macros for now, just check the calories and how much the calories should be. Focus on trying to be as exact about the measurements etc as you can. Experiment but stay on the track for at least 1 month before changing calories. I usually suggest to read the thread, set the calories, stick to it for 2 months. If you still don't see any weight change, then reduce the calories or increase the amount of workout.

I HIGHLY suggest not taking shortcuts. Giving something 1 month to find the amount of calories you are comfortable at is very short time when you are trying to change your habits and lifestyle.