How much can you squat?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Best squat was at my recent meet - USAPL RAW one so you have to break parallel - belt and sleeves.

275lb at 157lb bodyweight.

My reps are actually better at 255lb x 5 with a couple in the tank which I did the other day when testing my 5RM - they calculate out to a much higher 1RM, but I have an ability to grind out reps that does not translate into a comparable 1RM when using a calculator..yet =). I generally only try to PR for 1RMs at meets nowadays.

Video of my squat at the meet the other month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSgMmKvEyys"]youtube.com/watch?v=cSgMmKvEyys

Nice! That walk out was art. 3 steps, no wiggle, wobble or micro adjusting. Pro.

Thank you :flowerforyou:. I was having issues with my walk out up until a little while ago as I was constantly clipping the uprights. SideSteel helped me work on it the first time I visited him and its been much more solid since, after some practice.

That was real nice for sure!!!

I've taken the approach of EVER lift under the bar- should be like that- and it's helped- because I'm much less fussy about it in terms of what I'll accept- and I do it so much more- it definitely helps bringing attention to it- you never realize how much energy it takes out of you.
    If you think 235 is sh!tty, you have issues! lol. That's amazing!
    LOL_ no I mean- at 235- I'm not so confident it was legal- meaning it was just not a very GOOD squat- although my posted 225- is also- not a particularly pretty squat.
    I have the same fold with the low bar setup as you
    which is funny- because I can't squat low bar- well I mean- I could but it causes me some discomfort due to compression in my spine- so I have this weird high bar set up with a half *kitten* low bar fold... I cannot for the life of me get more up right- even my pause squats (posted a video on my page a while back) you can see- I think I'm as vertical as can be- and Nope nope nope- not even close.

silly folds and mobility LOL
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Does anyone do negative squats?
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    195 on 5X5 but did 3 at 200 yesterday.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    evarga12 wrote: »
    285lbs (1X5) @ 170 body weight.. I just started incorporating squats and deads in October. I have been gradually increasing my strength. I fell it's a mental struggle for me to get stuck at the bottom. I have been trying to pass this blockage. I want to be able to rep out 315 sometime in January.
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Best squat was at my recent meet - USAPL RAW one so you have to break parallel - belt and sleeves.

275lb at 157lb bodyweight.

My reps are actually better at 255lb x 5 with a couple in the tank which I did the other day when testing my 5RM - they calculate out to a much higher 1RM, but I have an ability to grind out reps that does not translate into a comparable 1RM when using a calculator..yet =). I generally only try to PR for 1RMs at meets nowadays.

Video of my squat at the meet the other month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSgMmKvEyys"]youtube.com/watch?v=cSgMmKvEyys

Nice! That walk out was art. 3 steps, no wiggle, wobble or micro adjusting. Pro.

Thank you :flowerforyou:. I was having issues with my walk out up until a little while ago as I was constantly clipping the uprights. SideSteel helped me work on it the first time I visited him and its been much more solid since, after some practice.

That was real nice for sure!!!

I've taken the approach of EVER lift under the bar- should be like that- and it's helped- because I'm much less fussy about it in terms of what I'll accept- and I do it so much more- it definitely helps bringing attention to it- you never realize how much energy it takes out of you.
    If you think 235 is sh!tty, you have issues! lol. That's amazing!
    LOL_ no I mean- at 235- I'm not so confident it was legal- meaning it was just not a very GOOD squat- although my posted 225- is also- not a particularly pretty squat.
    I have the same fold with the low bar setup as you
    which is funny- because I can't squat low bar- well I mean- I could but it causes me some discomfort due to compression in my spine- so I have this weird high bar set up with a half *kitten* low bar fold... I cannot for the life of me get more up right- even my pause squats (posted a video on my page a while back) you can see- I think I'm as vertical as can be- and Nope nope nope- not even close.

silly folds and mobility LOL

Use a wider stance and push your knees out. It'll help you stay more upright.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

?? I do pause squats- not sure how different that would be from a negative- I'm not familiar with that as a regular training tool honestly.
    hysterically have spent the last year trying to narrow my stance because it's been SO wide. I think I'm still not really satisfied with my form- I think it's okay- but definitely could be better.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

?? I do pause squats- not sure how different that would be from a negative- I'm not familiar with that as a regular training tool honestly.
    hysterically have spent the last year trying to narrow my stance because it's been SO wide. I think I'm still not really satisfied with my form- I think it's okay- but definitely could be better.

Well you know the eccentric part of the lift you can do a lot more than concentric. I have read places that this can help with gains. We all want those three big lifts to go up.

• jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    edited December 2014
    Scratch 180, now 185 5x5. ;)

Feeling like the adding weight is going to slow down. Either that or I was not properly warmed up since the gym is apparently SUPER crowded on Xmas eve.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    220KG\485Lbs in my last comp (30th November).. Weighed 91.2KG\201Lbs. Have done a VERY debatable Paused (STUPIDLY), 225KG\495Lbs

"Rep day PB" today, 100KG\225Lbs for 32 reps... Must improve fitness, should have got an easy 40+ reps.. Working on that

Also agree with Sara... There are some feds that will pass a WR attempt, even if it is high!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member

Well you know the eccentric part of the lift you can do a lot more than concentric. I have read places that this can help with gains. We all want those three big lifts to go up.

This isn't necessary at all. Just keep squatting heavy and frequently. No one in this thread is strong enough to require any special techniques to continue progressing, myself included. Always follow the KISS principle.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Lofteren wrote: »
    585 with wraps.
    Geez, that's some awesome carry over from your knee wraps! I haven't quite figured them out yet. They really just make me uncomfortable and my feet go numb.

If you can feel your toes, they aren't tight enough.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuWwNdnBN7g

here is my last meet PR 570# currently my training is based on 625# goal for my next meet. im in the Masters 40-44 308# class. working down to the 275 class for GPC World Championships in Las Vegas in Sept 2015 and making a run at the GPC World record of 1716#.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    most I have hit is 265 but my form was not good at all ….

currently working in 225 range to work on form and slowly bump up...
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    I can squat all of the weight. :|
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    edited December 2014
    The title pretty much says it all. How much can you squat?

55 kg, which I don't think is too bad for a small light weight? And I can squat deep, like pretty much a*s to grass.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    edited December 2014
    Although I have a hacking cough and interrupted sleep last night, I hauled my buttocks in and ran through my quad workout today. Reading this thread before I left motivated me on.

295 x 1 (New PR)

This was preceded with:
    135 x 12 reps
    225 x 4 sets x 8 reps
    245 x 6 reps
    265 x 4 reps
    285 x 2 reps

After that I followed up with hack squats, leg presses and goblet squats and some calf work I ended up with a total of 58,720 pounds exerted today.

Pretty good.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Well done!

I drank 3 liters of beer, 400ml of gluhwein, and two shots of whisky. I think you win, I'm not even drunk. :(
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    If any of you started out very light or maybe feeling like squatting was super hard, how long did it take you to get to the point where it clicked and got easier? Not easy as in the weight felt like nothing but easy as in you didn't feel like "ugh, crap, time to squat again."

The squat is my worst lift. I can do bodyweight squats easy peasy and same goes for doing them with dumbbells on my shoulders. But back squats with a barbell are super difficult. I kind of hate them but am determined to get better. I feel like something is whopperjawed with me because my bench is 80 and my squat is 60 (lbs not kg!) From switching from dumbbells in October until now, I've only gone from 45 to 60. I'm the captain of the weak quad squad I think.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    I've never done anything less than 4 reps in the past 3-4 years. I usually go 315x8 for my last set.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    jmule24 wrote: »
    The title pretty much says it all. How much can you squat?

Better question to see people's response would be.... "Have you ever crapped your pants while trying to squat???"

Or ripped your pants while squatting?

I have ripped the *kitten* out of my pants squatting...I have never *kitten* my pants, but I've come close.

My current 1 RM is 275 and it's likely to stay there for awhile. I do back squats as an accessory lift. I do a lot more front squatting...but I don't know my max for that either as I'm usually just trying to get in volume to help with my cleans and snatches.
  • griffithm1
    griffithm1 Posts: 130 Member