Has anyone ever injured their hand, and if so how did you continue to work out?

I got bit by an animal all the way to the bone on my index finger, so its hard to get dressed and such, basically i cant use my index finger. i was just curious if anyone had any ideas to work around it without reopening my cut

Replies

• civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Leg day.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Tape it up and keep going. But I might be a bit crazy - I just did bench max testing and explosive bench day with a sprained thumb
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    I've continued workouts despite broken fingers and burns so severe they required medical attention. Gauze and some athletic tape. I have more than one finger. I'm also demented enough to enjoy lifting with injuries.

Leg days work as well.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited December 2014
    Squatting should still be possible -- grip isn't really an issue there.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    I got bit by an animal all the way to the bone on my index finger, so its hard to get dressed and such, basically i cant use my index finger. i was just curious if anyone had any ideas to work around it without reopening my cut

I tore the palm of my hand and two fingers open pretty well. Band aids, a little duct tape, good to go.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Rub some dirt on it and hit the gym.
  • dbmata
    and if it hurts, so what. Lifting weights hurts. Call it mental practice.
  • hactci
    hactci Posts: 7 Member
    if you don't already have a finger splint, that might help keep it still. they have a lot of simple ones for under 5$. I think they're in most stores that have pharmacy sections
  • dbmata
    How does one grip and rip a deadlift with a finger splint?

Just tape that finger to another one.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    I've exercised with second degree burns on my hand before - just make sure it's bandaged appropriately and adjust your grip if you need to.

Might be better to take a few days off to let it heal if it bothers you though, rather than go through a longer drawn out process if exercising is stopping it healing properly.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Rub some dirt on it and hit the gym.
    This. Tape it up and do work.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I hope you got a tetanus shot and some antibiotics! I've had that happen to me although not to the bone but I don't recall it effecting my workout at all. But otherwise I would just modify and do what I could do until it healed.
  • VegasFit wrote: »
    I hope you got a tetanus shot and some antibiotics! I've had that happen to me although not to the bone but I don't recall it effecting my workout at all. But otherwise I would just modify and do what I could do until it healed.

im up to date on my tetanus shot for sure, the damage is pretty bad and ive got antibiotics in my system, im fighting the infection with peroxide as well. the infection is slowly going away. i may take some advice on taping my fingers together but i dont have stitches because they cant stitch animal bites because they cant seal the infection in.

also i cant afford a gym membership, moneys tight for us, my home is my gym, also i do have a finger splint been using it to keep my skin together and my hand from moving
  • crashchamp
    crashchamp Posts: 147 Member
    super glue and duct tape
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Find other ways to move if you don't feel good agitating your finger. Walking, running, jumping jacks, etc. I broke an ankle one year and continued my aerobics class with modified one-legged movements. Didn't want to lose my tone/progress. You'll feel better if you find something else to do, plus keeping your circulation going will probably help speed up the healing process. Happy Holidays.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Inb4 rabies...
  • dbmata
    Only way to tell he has rabies is to cut his head off and test.

I believe the test goes:
    If the head is cut off and he tries to bite someone afterwards, he has rabies.
    If his head is cut off and he dies, he did not have rabies.

lol
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

I believe the test goes:

lol
    Thought that was a prego test...yes?

• 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »

I believe the test goes:

lol
    Thought that was a prego test...yes?

Lol bunnies.

In culinary school the process went: superglue, then duct tape, then paper towel (or gauze if there was any left), more duct tape, and a glove. All in the 30 seconds or so you had before you had to get back on the line.

Proper medical equipment is recommended for the real world, though. Gauze, medical tape, etc.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Oh man, don't stress that skin so it tears again, especially if you've got an infection!

I'd just do bodyweight squats, lunges, RDLs, and glute bridges. There are about 1 million variations of these if you google - split squats, 1-legged squats, pistol squats; RDLs with a slide, etc. Single legged movements are harder than those using both legs. You can also increase effort/resistance by slowing down, pausing at different points on the ascent or descent (or extending the range of motion), or speeding up. Or you can combine movements (e.g. RDL straight into a lunge and then a kick, etc.). Google bodyweight workouts for ideas. Also, you can get your heart rate up if you do a few kicks in between (front, side, back).