Daily check-in: December why you started!

Replies

• My first workout using my new Squat stands. Awesome fun!!!

Squats: 5 x 5 @ 60---I'm going to start to fly increasing my weights with my squats now!!!!
    Press: 5 x 5 @ 50
    Deadlift: 1 x 5 @ 100
    Bicep Curls: 5 x 5 @‌ 30
    Tricep Kickbacks: 5 x 7 @ 16
    Tricep Extension: 5 x 7 @ 15
    Chinup Walk the Plank: 5 x 8

On my way to doing my first pullup!

Hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas :D
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    your squat stand is beautiful. i always think it must be such a party knowing you could go down there and bust a few reps any time that you feel like it :)
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Workout A. Had been away from it for a week so I deloaded...

Squats: 6x5@85lbs
    Bench: 5x5@65lbs
    Rows: 5x5@80lbs

Accessories:
    Bicep plate curls: 3x12@10lbs
    Pull-up machine 3x5@8

Ran 3.1 miles.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Transition week means I'm working on BW skills again :)

but I started with EMOTM x8 of strict OHP @ 80lbs x2 reps (and made them all!)

Then 3x30s hollow ring hang with false grip

3x15 ring baby makers (which are basically hip trusts but with your upper body hanging instead of helping the movement)

4 sets of
    - 25 prisoner squats
    - assisted dips x submax (80lbs assist, 7/ 7/ 5/ 7)
    - hollow rocks x 15-25 (25 / 15 / 17 / 20, first set w/ arms crossed over chest, other 3 arms behind head)

30 burpees for time: 3:30

I got a mini exercise bike as a gift yesterday, so if I can manage to poke myself out of laziness to put it together I might do a lil bit of that later. I'm also gonna walk to the store because I want to buy myself a new notebook and pen :)
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Workout B, end of week 6.

Did half of my warm up, the stuff with the trx and the pushups, but didn't foam roll as the area had too many people. Squat racks were hard to nab, so at first I did some random dumbbell things then did leg press and random leg machine before finally nabbing the rack.

Leg press - 3x8 @‌ 110

Squat - 125
    - Kept the same weight from last week and it still felt really heavy and difficult to manage.

OHP - 3x5 and 1x4 @ 60 and 1x5 55
    - Fail. 3rd time so got to drop down on the weight. 10 percent seems an odd amount cause that would be 54, so I might drop it down to 50 and work up from there as that's not very long to work back up to 60 again.

Deadlift - 155
    - After the struggle of getting set up and taking off the one guy's weights, I had a math fail. I was trying to do 145. I forgot the 45's and 10's don't equal 145 with the bar. I barely made it through so next time I'm going to actually do 145 then after that try 155 again.

It was sort of an off day. Did 30 minutes walk on the treadmill afterwards for extra steps, but today just wasn't all it could have been. Oh well, hopefully next time will be better but I may try 85 on the bench press so we'll see how that goes.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Squat day!
    Warm-up + 5@140, 5@150, 10@160lbs

Sumo Deadlifts: 3x10 @‌ 130lbs

Planks: 2@30 seconds, 1@45 seconds
  • StrongLifts 5x5 / Workout A

My quads finally stopped screaming at me, so I hit the gym again today. 5x5 felt harder than expected today, but it was a good workout.

Squats - Warmups, 1x5 @ 95 lbs. (oops!), 5x5 @ 105 lbs.
    - Feeling like I'm getting lower, but since I've been doing these without the benefit of a mirror to watch form these last couple sessions, I can't tell if my knees are caving on the push back out of the hole. I do know when I really concentrated on pushing my knees apart, they felt a lot harder, so I suspect they might me. I'll be paying attention to that when I get back home.

Bench Press - Warmups, then 5/5/5/4/~5 @ 82.5 lbs.
    - I barely made my fourth rep in the fourth set and should have just let it be. But I racked, gave myself a few seconds, and tried for the fifth. Hello, roll of shame. :P Oh well - it happens. The guy that was waiting for the bench spotted me on my fourth and fifth reps in my last set, and I probably wouldn't have gotten that final rep without his help. It was minimal, but necessary. He was super nice about it, so I was appreciative.
    - This is my third fail at this weight, so per the 5x5 app, I'll be deloading to 70 lbs. next time. I thought the deload was only supposed to be 10%, but I guess it's closer to 15%. Either way, it's fine. I'll do what I'm told and work my way back up.

Rows - 5x5 @ 82.5 lbs.
    - These still feel super awkward, and I could feel a bit of a bounce on these today. May deload yet again and play with form and pace and blah blah blah. Now that I've hit 45 lbs. on the OHP, rows are becoming my least favorite lift.

I was seriously bushed after this, and knowing I had a two-mile walk home, I skipped accessories. I think the alcohol, the lack of good sleep (pull out couches are the effing worst!), the humidity, and the rest-day three-mile walks all played a part in me feeling wiped out. All good things, so I'm not concerned, but I'm noticing it. Plus, given how freaking sore I was for the last two days, I figured taking it a tiny bit easy today wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Hope you all had a great Christmas if you celebrate, and are enjoying any time off you might have.

xoxo,
    C.
  • canadianlbs
    workout x:

squats: yay! (but not yet, so ssssh) 2x5@45, 1x5@65, 6x5@100. i did an extra set just for insurance because i kind of lost count. but if i go by my compulsive habit of putting a collar on the top peg after my first set and moving it down by one peg with every set after that, then it's 6. either way, i know for a fact that i did 5x5 reps at one hundred pounds. form felt pretty good, the trigger point work on my shoulder and other stretches etc seem to be paying off (touch wood) and i had better form from the waist down this time than last time. not going to say it was easy, but i don't think i've been destroyed by it either. if i can maintain this through to new year's, i'm definitely going to say that i made that milestone.

the rest of what i did was a mix, because i'm still sort of futzing around and letting my shoulder dictate most of whatever i do. and tbh i might have been thinking 'well, i've gotten my 100lb squats so i get to go home early now' too.

- kind of a mashup of ohp sets at different grip widths and rep counts, mixed between the 45lb bar and the 30lb one and scattered throughout my workout. i've been taking a very narrow grip with my pinkies more or less lined up with the outer edge of my shoulders, but now that i have more mobility i'm trying to widen that out so as to involve more of those lower-shoulderblade muscles that i've been trying to liberate with my lacrosse ball and wall. it feels different for sure and maybe stronger, but i'm not ready to comment just yet. i'm going to be interested in tomorrow's doms pattern, from this. altogether i'm pretty sure i ended up with whatever the volume of a regular 5x5 session would be, between those two weights and two grips.

- bench, a few 5x5 sets with the 45lb bar. i'm not even trying for weight, i just want mobility and a better form.

- rows for form with the 30lb bar, and i don't know if i'm ready to go back to them yet. what's been wrong with my shoulder is i just can't get my elbow to go back and up to the same degree as the right one does, or at the same angle. and i know i hate rows so i'll always take any excuse . . . but honestly, this in particular feels to me like it's bad for my spine when the weight is heavy because what i end up doing no matter how hard i try is torquing from there in order to get the left side up along with the right. it could be the reason why my chiropractor found some of my thoracix vertebrae were also out a few weeks ago, and i'm not anxious to put myself back into that.

- deadlifts for form, warmup at 50lbs and then two sets of 5 at 100. not sure about this but eh, i did them as a compensation for not doing rows. it always seems my brain has room to concentrate on the form for either squats or deadlifts, and the other one always falls a bit out of focus for me.

and then, since my shoulder does feel better and i'm definitely feeling like core is another place i've lost concentration about and it's showing, i went back to my neglected planks. BLEH. that obviously is going to need to be worked on again, as i only managed 30 seconds with a bit of a power-crunch 'pull' thrown in.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Gym has been closed since Wednesday, so I was very ready for this morning.

Squats 3x5 @ 101lb (for form)
    Squats 3x6 @ 134lb (for ego).
    Bench 5,5,3,4,3 @ 61.5lb (follows a deload)
    Rows 6,6,6,6,6 @ 57lb (deload for explosive action form).

All-in-all very enjoyable. Got a bit of "help" doing the bench from one of the men who seems to enjoy "helping" me. I didn't count any lifts when he was touching the bar, reassuring me, "that's all you, love, that's all you".
  • canadianlbs
    lol. i like your separation of form and ego in every workout :D i did my real squats at 100 yesterday, and then later on i went and put two plates on the bar and unracked it, just to stand with it for a handful of seconds, and then put it back. i don't plan on trying to squat with it for some time still, but it's what i'm aiming for by mid-july. so i'm planning to keep doing this with every workout just to get my body and especially back used to the way that it feels.
  • krokador
    You guys are all doing great! It's gainzmas in the house! =D

I did another BW-focused session. Today was Handstand push-up skillwork and some conditioning (and boy do I need it O_o)

Front squats warm-up intersected with wall walks and holds for 20/30/30 seconds (and hey, just for kicks, my warm-up sets were 45x5, 65x5, 85x5 and 95x3)

Then an EMOTM x5 of front squats @ 105 x 5 - not particularly tough, but I did have to do a crossover grip for one set because my right wrist is all kinds of weird from lack of mobility work on it in the past few weeks. It IS the wrist I hurt with those skullcrushers a lil more than a year back, so it has some priors and I'm not too worried about it.

Moved on to a superset of floor pike presses and supinated grip recline rows to submax reps (8/9/10 and 10/8/8)

Then a lovely 3x superset of core work:
    1LRDL x 20 / side
    Plank knee tucks x 20/leg

Then to finish off, 6 rounds of 50yd sprints - 10yd section shuttle, 60s rest in-between. managed to keep below 19s every rounds, but, like I said, my cardio has gone to the dumpster lately xD

Oh, and a set of no matterwhat push-ups. Today I was at 17 for the 2nd day in a row and managed to grind it out. I'll have my 20 by the first! (but barely lol)
  • logg1e
    just to stand with it for a handful of seconds, and then put it back.

Ooh yes, I've done that.

• logg1e
    I've just realised who you remind me of Krok. Have you heard of MelAndSue? You remind me of a young Sue, you've got her smile.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    crabada wrote: »
    StrongLifts 5x5 / Workout A

- This is my third fail at this weight, so per the 5x5 app, I'll be deloading to 70 lbs. next time. I thought the deload was only supposed to be 10%, but I guess it's closer to 15%. Either way, it's fine. I'll do what I'm told and work my way back up.

When I looked up on the Stronglifts site (stronglifts.com, it says 10%. Though for the lower weights, I almost think that's not enough. I need to go down for OHP and 6 lbs is an awkward number to do anyways. I probably will on bench soon too which would be 8 or 8.5. I think for OHP I'm going to go down to 50 and use those 2.5 plates again. So, close to 15% actually, guess that works.

But today is a rest day. No work even, though I should clean the apartment... Rest sounds good.
  • canadianlbs
    logg1e wrote: »
    I've just realised who you remind me of Krok. Have you heard of MelAndSue? You remind me of a young Sue, you've got her smile.

sue perkins? i'm just having myself a qi-fest on youtube this weekend, and she's adding light to my life.

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Finally back after a very indulgent christmas!! Happy holidays all xx

Squat 5x5 @ 155lbs
    Bench 5x5 @ 80lbs
    Row 5x5 @‌ 80lbs

Woo hoo!
  • krokador
    logg1e wrote: »

I looked her up and I can somewhat see the resemblance (which is rare when people tell me "you look like such" xD Seriously. I have Elijah Woods and Jason Berh (sp? the guy from Roswell) on that list. Really not sure what those people were thinking xD). She's not bad looking at all too, so hey, a compliment! :p
  • logg1e
    Definitely a compliment, she's absolutely lovely.
  • krokador
    Weather has been rather mild here so I decided to suit up (in gear I bought on boxing day! lol) and go for a 30 min jog. My right leg did all kinds of nasty cramping up throughout but I toughed it out and I feel great now ^^
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    You guys are all amazing!

Supposed to do workout B today but the gym was way too crowded -- no chance at the squat racks :(
    I did this instead:
    Ran 1.4 miles (gave me 25 on the week)
    OHP: 5x10@40
    Goblet squats: 4x10@40
    DL: 5@115,5@135,5@145,3@155
    Cable crunches:12@5,12@6,12@7
    Hip thrusters: 12bw,12@20,12@30
    50 min kickboxing class.

Felt pretty good overall, but I tweaked my lower back on the deads. I hope it doesn't turn into a problem but I don't think it will. I've been trying to eat at maintenance but failing miserably-- going waay over. Plus side is the lifts feel good (except the deads, I guess). I'm really working on paying attention to my body and what it needs. Unfortunately, it seems to need a lot of dessert!

Tomorrow I'm going on vacation to Costa Rica for a week so there will be a lot of hiking and biking and such but not much lifting, I would think.