Daily check-in: December why you started!

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    right hip adductor a bit irritated. on friday when i was down in the hole i almost lost my balance for a moment, and my feet turned themselves outwards without me being able to stop them. stood up okay in that rep, but i don't think the adductor liked it. when all that came back to me today i went d'oh. of course you don't start switching your stance when you're under a hundred-pound load. today was a be-very-careful type day at the gym, and yet more form-tinkering. workout a.

squats: 2x5@45, 2x5@65, 1x5@100, 5x5@85. took me a while to find a good weight, and 100 pounds was not the good one. my form's having identity crises again, but the reps themselves seemed to be pretty strong. i think any remaining workouts this week need to be less ambitious and more fine-tuney since i've got a couple of things that seem to be devolving a bit. also think that from sheer lack of perspective about how deep i am, i am probably going all the way atg and catching buttwink. which would take the stretch off my hamstrings and probably explain why some of the time coming up is quite hard. i tend to go down until the bar touches the safeties, and even with a low bar i think that's pretty deep. the whole thing goes better the times when i just remember to hitch my hips back before i start going down. need to work on this and stop faffing around.

bench: 2x5@45, 1x5@55, 5x5@60. i went back to a fairly wide grip - basically thumbs at about where they'd touch my lateral delts if i brought the bar there. it seems to work the best and be the least painful for me. i feel like 60's not bad, considering i still see my neck and shoulders as 'recovering'. it felt easy, so i know that's progress. a month ago 60 pound bench was the hardest thing to do in my whole week.

rows: nothing to speak of, in any sense. still working on that shoulderblade. it's better by far in the squats and bench seems to be coming along; even ohp showed some promise last time. but rows, no.

i was thinking about resolutionist influx while i was working out today. realised that for myself, it's probably about time for a rest week but i've been putting it off it because 100lb-squats-by-year-end. so this is going to work out great, because right in the week everyone's mobbing the gym, i'm probably going to be at home with a pile of books and nice big dose of food.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Went after work so lifted around 11 pm. I think I like it much better than the 11 am or 1 pm. Just for the fact there is still far less people and rarely much waiting. Tonight, very few people by the weights, got right to the rack after my warm up and easy enough to get a bench and later a treadmill. Only downside is I start out a little tired from my work shift.

Workout A

Squat - 5x5 @ 130
    Bench - 1x5 @ 85, 4x5 @ 80
    Row - 5x5 @ 80

Accessory of bench with dumbbells - 3x8 with 25 lbs
    30 minutes walk on treadmill

The squat was a little rough. Now the weight is up higher it's much slower and harder to push up. Plus my back and shoulder were a bit cranky today after spending most my shift putting up sales tags. Not sure about increasing next time. Lately I've been doing the same weight twice in a row before increasing on squats but as it's getting harder, a pause or deload might be in the future. Failed at bench. Barely got the 5th rep on the first set and knew I would make all 5. However, 80 is feeling easier than it did last time. And 80 didn't feel too bad on rows even though 75 had felt challenging last time. I used the little platform spot again instead of picking up off the ground. We'll see how next time goes.

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Today's lift was a bit 'meh'. Last night in bed I'd thought, "I'm so fed up of thinking about weights and reps and calories and protein - I think I need a break.

Squat 6,6,6 @ 89lb. I did 6 because I'd accidentally not put enough weights on.
    Squat 5,5,5 @ 139.5lb. I think that this needs to stop, I'm not getting low enough to be doing any good, I'm sure.
    OHP 5,5,5,5,5 @ 46lb. Again after failing at the next weight up.
    Dead 2 @ 178lb because I can't tell the difference between the yellow 15lb plate and the blue 20lb plate. I did two and thought, "*kitten*, I just can't do this". Decided to take a break to compose myself and realised I'd used completely the wrong plates. Thank god.
    Deadlift 5 @ 150lb Phew.

So... I need to have a think and consider shaking things up a bit or having a break.
  • I posted this once and it disappeared!

Squat 5x5 @ 62 lbs
    Press 5x5 @ 50 lbs
    Row 5x5 @ 50 lbs

Accessory lifts
    Bicep curls 3x10 @ 30 lbs
    Tricep kickbacks 3x10 @ 16 lbs
    Tricep extensions 3x10 @ 15 lbs
    Chinup Walk the Plank 5x8

The new squat rack definitely makes bench press much easier. I guess I am not wasting effort in just getting the bar into position. I'm usually not one for New Years resolutions but one goal I have for this year is to do a pullup. Started Scooby's progression if anyone wants to join me!

Dawn--the weights you are lifting are very impressive!

Hope everyone stays safe and has fun!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Went in for a quick pistol progression workout with a push-pull element added!

Close grip bench (this is the push)
    every 30s for 5 mins 3 reps @ 100lbs (so that's 10x3, the last few were HARD and I had to widen my grip a bit)

narrow bw squat with 1s pause 5x15
    superset with 1arm DB row x10 @ 35, 40, 40, 45 (this is the pull)

20' box stepdowns with a 20lbs KB on the front rack on opposite side
    3x6, 6, 8 (then up to 10 with only bw)
    superset with bar hollow hang ~30s

pop-up squats w/ 20lbs KB as a counter-balance: 8/ 10 / 8
    superset with superman 30, 45, 30 seconds

and to finish off, 2min AMRAP of sitouts : 48

Just about to try for 19 unbroken push-ups here........ success! (barely, again xD)

Now I gotta shower and skiddadle. So ready to just have actual days off and not just social engagements. Can I go into hermit mode for a while? I am people-echausted!
  • Thanks for the help ladies.
    crabada wrote: »
    Reading these posts are so inspirational! I've been having a crisis of confidence lately and took a week off. One of the really strange issues I'm having is fear. I am dead afraid of losing in on squats and going down with the weight on my back. Intellectually I know the safety bars will catch the bar, but I'm having real issues getting over it. I welcome any tips.

Have you practiced failing? It's loud and feels a little weird, but it's was an immense help once I got to the point where I knew failure was a possibility. Now I know what to do and how it will feel, and it's not so scary anymore.

I have, but perhaps not enough. I do think that might help. Thanks!

Thanks for the support with this. I've moved to MadCow for squats, but hit my working set at 195 today, a PR that felt pretty good.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Yesterday was my birthday so decided to try and increase each set of 5 on my squats to see if I could hit 200 - success!
    Squats 1x5 @ 180, 185, 190, 195 then 200! Have a form video but the quality is lacking so MAY post it. First three reps I was happy with, last two tipped forward more than I would like.

OHP 5x5 @ 75lbs - upped the rest to 2 minutes to try and help moving forward
    DL 1x5 @ 195lbs - I used to feel great about these, not so much now - going to add plates underneath to see if that helps a bit? I feel like me back is curving touching the ground. Strength is more than there so... I dunno.
  • I'm back after a week away for the holidays. I didn't lift but skied one day, did hot (Bikram) yoga another day, and walked/ran 5 miles two other days. I'm happy I was able to stay active. Somehow through the cookies and huge dinners, I managed to lose a pound. Now I'm glad to be home and back on a routine. I prepped meals for the week yesterday and am feeling good.

Squat 115 (slight de-load from 120) 5x5. It was hard but do-able. Back up to 120 next time.

Row 60 5x5, didn't de-load and felt OK. Will give 65 a try next time. I just want to be able to use the bumper plates and not have to stack the bar.

Bench 75 (slight de-load from 80) 4x5 then the final set at 80. I feel like bench will never be easy. The first rep or two are fine then it's like an elephant sits on the bar for the final reps. Oh well, my heart shall go on. Sorry for inexplicably quoting Celine.

I then did some bicep curls at 30 3x8. Need to make sure I don't flex or else my jacket's arms might blow out ;)

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Need to make sure I don't flex or else my jacket's arms might blow out ;)

i think i mentioned seeing a guy at the rec centre once wearing a tank top that said 'I FLEXED AND THE SLEEVES FELL OFF'. still one of my favourites.

i bought new clothes for interviewing in sometime in june or july (iirc) and the last time i put them on in october, the jacket was definitely more snug over the shoulders than i recalled. on the other hand, once i was home and changing again, i skimmed out of the pants without undoing buttons or zippers or anything - just the belt. i'd gotten so used to wearing leggings and sweatpants everywhere during a whole summer off, i didn't even think about it until i was hanging them up.

• Need to make sure I don't flex or else my jacket's arms might blow out ;)

i think i mentioned seeing a guy at the rec centre once wearing a tank top that said 'I FLEXED AND THE SLEEVES FELL OFF'. still one of my favourites.

i bought new clothes for interviewing in sometime in june or july (iirc) and the last time i put them on in october, the jacket was definitely more snug over the shoulders than i recalled. on the other hand, once i was home and changing again, i skimmed out of the pants without undoing buttons or zippers or anything - just the belt. i'd gotten so used to wearing leggings and sweatpants everywhere during a whole summer off, i didn't even think about it until i was hanging them up.

I need that shirt.

I am noticing some of my shirts and jackets are getting more snug in the shoulders, as well. Also, my underwear and some of my suit pants are getting tight because my caboose is standing up nowadays. I laugh because if I were still into the whole, "Eat little and cardio" mindset, I'd freak out but I'm not and I think I look good.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Everyone is doing awesome. Ending the year with some strong lifting.

Scientific - Thanks. It's fun though I'm getting close to deload time on nearly all of them. I'm enjoying the workouts and my coworkers often cheer me on when I tell them what I lift.

logg1e - Guess I'm not the only one with a math fail. I did that with deadlifts though just a 10 lbs different. I could lift it but it felt way heavier than necessary. Then again, I didn't realize the error till I was doing my cardio and thought it over. Oops. I've done this on squats too, increased by 10 instead of 5 one time cause i didn't add things up right.

Lifting and deficit have been good to me so far. Actually, I need more workout pants/shorts. The ones I wore last night were rightish 30 lbs ago, so I had to keep pulling them up throughout the workout. I'm running low on things I can wear gym wise, though I have more than enough regular clothes as I mostly just wear work uniform (which is too big but it's just a t-shirt). I have lots of leggings too and really like them now. 2/10$ plus it was from work so employee discount. Good times.
  • DawnEmbers wrote: »

logg1e - Guess I'm not the only one with a math fail. I did that with deadlifts though just a 10 lbs different. I could lift it but it felt way heavier than necessary. Then again, I didn't realize the error till I was doing my cardio and thought it over. Oops. I've done this on squats too, increased by 10 instead of 5 one time cause i didn't add things up right.

It's OK ladies, girls are bad at math :p
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Was out most of yesterday and didn't eat much so kinda felt it in my lifts today *sigh*

Squat 5x5 @‌ 155lbs
    OHP 5x5 @ 60lbs
    Deadlift 1x4 @ 200lbs then waited a little and pulled the fifth one - just cos lol

Will stay at these weights for a little, form needs work when the weights get heavier

Have a great day all x
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Good job everyone!

Even though my eating has been off, I have been lifting through the holidays. I added weight to my routine today (I intend to stay at this added weight at least for this week)...though I did yawn at one point lol

Psych, I agree...form does tend to get compromised as weights get heavier.

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited December 2014
    Oh well, my heart shall go on. Sorry for inexplicably quoting Celine.

This made me laugh out loud. :smiley:

I have plans to go to the weird vacation gym again today, but I don't really want to that much. Think it has more to do with just wanting to be home already than not wanting to lift. But still. Meh. Will update you all later --

C.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited December 2014
    So, the theory that those days where you just don't wanna end up be the best continues to hold true. Pretty rad workout tonight, even in the weird vacation gym. (@ Canadian and anyone else who wonders why it's weird -- it's super packed with equipment, which is super old and rusty, with wood boards nailed to the floor under the racks, the dumbbells are so old and used up that you just have to hope they're in the right slot otherwise there's no telling what weight they are since the numbers have rubbed off, and people are obsessed with wiping down every surface with Simple Green -- like *obsessed* -- they must go through gallons of that stuff every day. One day there was a toddler in diapers running around, pulling on machines and dropping half-chewed cookies in the corners. They try to charge you one price on the internet, one price in the morning, and one price in the afternoon. It's just weird.)

Workout B (i.e. I freaking love deadlifts day!)

Squats - Warmups, 5x5 @ 110 lbs.
    - First set was pretty darn hard, but then I loosened up and they came together. I got the rack in front of the mirror today and was pleased to see that my knees aren't caving. I still *feel* like I'm going deeper than it looks, but since I feel pretty good about it, I'm not going to worry. Extra depth will come.

Overhead Press - 4x5 @ 47.5, 1x3 @ 47.5
    - Yup, failed the last set. Tried someone's "hold a grape in your butt cheeks" advice and it definitely works! (Sorry - can't remember who that was and don't feel like scrolling through everything again.) Felt kind of arch-y on the fourth and fifth sets, so I'm totally fine with repeating at this weight. It took me so freaking long to get here, I think I'll be happy to hang here for weeks if necessary!

<3 DEADLIFTS <3 - Warmups 1x5 @ 135, Working sets: 1x5 @ 160!
    - Rad rad rad rad rad rad rad! RAD!
    - That is all.

Accessories:
    Bicep Curls: 2x12 @ 13 lbs., 1x10 @ 13 lbs. (My left arm was d-o-n-e done!)
    Skull crushers: 1x12 @ 20 lbs., 2x12 @ 25 lbs.

Then the two-mile walk home.

xoxox,
    C.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    edited December 2014

Women are not bad at maths! Nor are girls for that matter.

(Just bad at colours, in my case!).
  • Just figured out that the walk home from the weird vacation gym was actually 2.6 miles instead of just 2. Awesome! :)
  • logg1e wrote: »

Women are not bad at maths! Nor are girls for that matter.

(Just bad at colours, in my case!).

Don't worry, I'm only teasing. Carryover from the women and muscle thread.
  • Awesome job @crabada! I bet you'll start missing the scent of Simple Green once you're back home, lol. The gym does seem weird but it's cool that it actually has a barbell and racks. Usually hotel gyms are restricted to cardio and a some small dumb bells. Unless you've just found a regular gym to use.