Daily check-in: December why you started!

Replies

• coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Confession--I've been a slacker over the holidays!! I haven't lifted since last Wednesday, but I am back at it today. I did get a couple of runs in between then and now, so at least I wasn't too lazy all of my long weekend. :smiley:

I did deload a bit today just to be on the safe side, but I probably would have been fine staying where I was supposed to be.

Workout A:
    Squats 5x5 @‌ 95 lbs
    Bench 5x5 @ 55 lbs
    Rows 5x5 @ 55 lbs

Accessories:
    Close grip bench press 3x10 @ 45 lbs
    RDLs 3x10 @ 55 lbs
    Heel raises
    Lunges

Cardio:
    Elliptical 45 minutes

I hope you ladies all had a wonderful holiday, and Happy New Year!!
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    I got in a few workouts since Xmas...

Last Friday I tried to go in at 530am only to find out they didn't reopen until 6am! I am a quick 10 min drive from the gym so instead of waiting in the parking lot for 30 min, I got gas, went home and napped on my couch for an hr until my kids woke me up and then we ALL went to the gym. My girls (16mths and 5yo) really like playing at the gym daycare so I took them along with me.

Of course the gym was much busier at 9am then it was at 6am, but I did manage to get in some work.

Squats - 75, 85, 95, 105, 110lbs and then I did 3 reps @ 115lbs!

OHP - 5x5 @ 55 lbs
    These felt hard

DL - 1x5 @ 95, 1x5 @ 115, 1x3 @‌ 120lbs

Yesterday I made it back to the gym and I ROCKED IT!!!
    I did an afternoon session so my belly was full of really good foods and I think it really helped.

Squat - 75, 85, 95, 105, 110lbs and then I did 2x3 reps @ 115lbs!
    75lbs for warm up feels easy at this point. Funny how just 6 weeks or so ago I was still warming up with the bar. I will be starting my warm up at 85 or 95lbs next time,

Bench - 5x5 @ 65lbs
    I did this last after I added in DL just for some fun so I was pretty tired and it was tough!

Rows - 5x5 @ 85lbs

DL - 1x5 @ 95lbs, 1x5 @ 115lbs, 1x5 @ 130lbs!!!

I felt great!!! Cant wait to get to 45lb plates on DL and Squats!!

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Almost there Symba. It's handy when you make it to the 45's on deadlift, for sure.

Today I went to the Les Mill's Grit Strength class. More people were there this time and that includes the older gentleman from the first time I went. He has gone every week, so that's pretty cool. 2 guys total this time and the rest were women. Hard at first to get a spot since some had no idea how much space they needed and such. It was fun but I seem to hurt myself each time I go to the class. Last time I hit my head slightly with a weight, this time I aggravated my right hand/wrist. I have issues from bowling/typing/etc and on the rare occasion it will flair up. Well, I must have held the bar wrong when switch to back squat instead of front cause pain, then I struggled to do pushups on the wall cause the first moment of pressure on the hand didn't feel all that good. It's okay, just a little achy and might have to wear brace for a day depending how things go since freight day is tomorrow.

No SL lifting till Thursday. I work morning shift tomorrow and gym closes at 6 pm for the "holiday". But that's okay, on the first I'll be ready to go and maybe can try those 45's on the squats...
  • Awesome job everyone!

@ Katro -- I know what you mean about the bar feeling light. I had to move the bar from one rack to another and it felt decently heavy, then I put it on my back for squat warm ups and it was like nothing.

@ Miss Holiday -- Yes, it was a normal gym down the road a piece.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    OHP day!

Haha, I actually wrote IHOP instead of OHP when I first started typing this. I WISH it were IHOP day!

52.5x3, 62.5x3, 72.5x6
    5-sec paused bench press: 3x10 @ 72.5
    Curl bar upright rows: 3x10 @‌ 50
    Dumbbell bicep curls: 3x10 @ 25's
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    So I was really busy this weekend so it was workout then go visiting on Saturday.
    Workout B
    Squat 135 lbs 5x5
    OHP 5x5 65lbs
    DL 195 lbs 1x4

Then I decided to give myself a 2 day stretch off (I had been doing every other day for the last little while). So today was Workout A

Squat 175 lbs 5x5 these felt really good
    Bench 90 lbs 5/5/4/5/4 ok for first time at that weight
    Row 85 lbs 5/5/5/4/4 form wasn't that great on these for the last rep on any of the sets.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    i'm putting myself on a rest week. i went to the gym today but my heart just wasn't in it and it's been a couple of sessions now of me just kind of wandering around with my brain and everything else going 'meh'. it's that thing where your head sort of still knows what the right form is, but your nervous system and your muscles just can't seem to find it and really can't be got to pretend that they care. so, rest time.

anyway, for what i did do today, it was basically squats, and then i came home. that was basically the only reason i went. because 100lbsquatsbyyearend and i said i needed more than one fluke workout before i'd let myself claim it, and that means one more either tonight or tomorrow because i'm sometimes stubborn that way. another sign of when i need a rest week: pointless pouring of good energy down a slightly-bad hole.

i did 2x5@45, 2x5@65, 2x5@70, 1x5@95, and then the full 5xgrinditout5@100 pounds. it really wasn't very pretty, but i don't think there were more than 3 reps in the whole thing that were really egregiously risky/bad form. the first two or three in every set were actually really strong, but then things would start to degrade. the very last rep of the very last set was very very extremely ugly. it's time for a break.

in the interim i'll be riding my studded-tires bike for a while. and that honestly is a pretty good leg workout just in itself.
  • That is so awesome Crabada! Everyone is finishing out the year STRONG!!!

My final session for 2014:

Squats 5x5 @ 65 lbs
    Press 5x5 @ 47.5 lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 100 lbs

I repeated the deadlift weight since it felt kind of too heavy at 110 when I started to lift it. I have had back problems in the past--don't want to go through that again :-)

Chinup Walk the Plank 5x8--progress is slow with this--don't know if I am seeing improvement with this yet. You are supposed to continue until you can lower yourself slowly in a controlled manner. I am definitely going to be a while with this. Any suggestions to help move this along?

Happy New Year Everyone!
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    edited December 2014
    @katro: IHOP day made me smile. Good memories :-)
    Awesome 100 lb squats canadianlbs!!!
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Squats 5,6,7,6,5 @‌ 101lb
    Bench 5x5 @ 61.5lb (a couple of these were slooooow)
    Rows 5x5 @ 62.5lb

I then messed about with the dumbells and some triceps extensions and pec flies. And I did 30 Russian twists (with 11lb) 30 stomach crunches and 30 more twists.

I'm going to research some proper auxiliary exercises for those abs I can feel coming up and the lifts I'm struggling with (Bench and OHP).
  • @canadianlbs congrats on making 100 lbs officially and enjoy your time off. The mental aspect of progressive lifting can be very challenging.

@katro111 IHOP > OHP for sure!

@ScientificExplorerGirl I had to Google Walk the Planks - seems like a good way to work up to doing a full chin up. Bonus of Googling this, I got to see screen shots of a shirtless man in a Gilligan hat performing the steps.

@logg1e great ab workout! Russian Twists are one of my favorites.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    I'm going to feel them in the morning MissH!

Congratulations and a heartfelt thank you to all who post and inspire and encourage me with their dedication, their patience, their teaching and their achievements.
  • symba1130
    Last workout of 2014 this morning ~

Workout B

Squats - Deloaded to 110 so I could completed 5x5, so I did 1x 5 @ 85lbs,1x5@ 95lbs, and then 5x5 @‌ 110lbs
    -
    OHP - This was just comical this morning...no strength. Was supposed to be at 60lbs, but had to drop back to 55lbs to complete 5x5

DL - 1x5 @ 95lbs, 1x5 @ 115lbs, 1x3 @ 130lbs.
    I really think the afternoon session made a HUGE difference.

It has been so hard to get up these last couple weeks, it has been super cold, holidays, etc. Ready for the new year and spring to be on the horizon.

Happy New Year to all you amazing and inspiring ladies!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    symba1130 wrote: »
    OHP - This was just comical this morning...no strength.

ahem. 55lbs on ohp most definitely isn't 'no strength'. ;)

• arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Had my first fail yesterday. My core was dead after an hour of horseback riding and just couldn't get out of the hole at 185 on my second set. Deloaded to 155 (working weight of my lifting partner) to finish.

So...
    Squats - 1x5@185, 1x4@185, 3x5@155
    Bench - 5x5 @ 105 - surprisingly easy, but seeing as I deloaded last week it makes sense
    Rows - 5x5 @ 90 - the weak core made these eh, just wanted to get out of there.

I'll be happy when these holidays are over!

• Squat 120 4x5,3 I just didn't have it in me on that last one. But I felt pretty good.

OHP 55 4,5,5,3,4 did EMOTM with these and felt good. I almost skipped OHP because I didn't feel like it and my shoulders and armpits are sore from yoga. But sucked it up and glad I did.

Deads 185 1x3 but they were ugly. A guy came up to me and asked if he could give me advice, and after I agreed, he said to focus on lowering my butt and straightening my back. He also said it helps him keep his back straight to look up a little. I was a little embarrassed to get caught with poor form but I appreciated the wake up call because I was moving up on weight and letting my form go to hell. I tried to do another rep with his advice in mind but I was too beat. I de-loaded to 175 and still couldn't do it. De-loaded again to 165 and was able to get a rep in with good form. Looking up did help. I am going to drop back to 165 and maybe progress more slowly (5 instead of 10).

I went in the late morning Monday and Wednesday because work is dead this week but I don't think it's working out for me. I got really hungry during my workouts and my energy went away quickly. The gym is busier after work (and will be worse come next week) but I feel better in the evening after I've eaten more.

I'm also going to start reading starting strength more seriously this weekend (I guess this can be my NY resolution). Want to evaluate my form and tweak as necessary. I might switch over to that method as I keep stalling on 5x5 around these weights.

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Last day of the year, last transition day, went in and did some pull-up work

3 sets of 10 turned into 4 sets of 10/8/10/7 with varying resistance and chin/pull alternance. My bw has gone up and it shows on these :/

worked up to 225 on deadlifts, did every 45s for 6 minutes of 1 rep but had to go down to 215 for reps 5-6 and 205 for 7-8. I went in way too heavy/quickly there. It was nice to try and overshoot for once as I'm trying to get a feel of what I will do with GBB to keep my form/motor skills to date and I don't wanna spend much more than 15 minutes on any barbell lift including warm-up and I need to keep myself fresh for the KB stuff.

Moved on to submax neutral grip recline rows 12, 9, 9
    superset with hollow rocks x25 and I tried to do a few reps with my arms overhead (last progression before weight) but am still working on those xD

Then 3 rounds of submax hand release push-ups 13 / 12 / 13
    superset with 45s side planks on both sides - the first side I would do was definitely shakier (shoulder being pre-tired and all) so I alternated that, but kind held it for time on all rounds

then 3x400m row sprints (took about 1:40 each with ~75s rest)

and I'm just about to attempt 20 push-ups in a row as I am typing this. Didn't wanna try while I was still at the gym cuz the HR push-ups really took a toll. Not too confident here either but hey, you'll never know until you try! I got this! ..... 17. With 2 small rests in a downward dog position :| Well there is always tomorrow. I did say by january 1st! xD
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    My last workout of 2014 and my first since my accident (I was hit on the drivers side by a big truck which gave me left side whiplash), although I have not stopped walking or using the treadmill other than for 1 week after the accident. Felt weird lifting 50 lbs. with everything and also only 10-20 second recovery time, felt like speed lifting, but I have to let my left side get back up to speed, so one step at a time. I know from having whiplash in the past when somebody rear-ended me when I was stopped at a red light that using your muscles is the best way to recover. After the first week I did some wall pushups and things like that and used barbie weights, but now I am ready to start serious recovery. Happy New Year to everybody!

Workout A (Wed)

Squats 5 X 2 - 35

Squats 5 x 5 - 50

Barbell Row, Bent Over - 5 x 5 - 50

Bench press - 5 x 5 - 50

Curls - underhand - 5 x 5 - 50

Reverse curls - 5 x 5 - 50

Inclined ab crunches - 1 x 100

Dumbbell Sidebends (left side only) - 5 x 5 - 20
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Inspiring as always ladies.

perseverance, good luck on your recovery and congrats on being able to lift aagin.

DawnEmbers, how do you like Grit class? How does it compare to Body Pump? I've been seeing it advertised but haven't found a good time to go check it out yet.

I've been doing the workouts but have just lurking on the group because I've been busy with festivities and at work. I've also been eating like a crazy person and not doing any cardio since the week before Christmas due to holiday events and getting sick. The scale has suffered but my lifts are going great, which is amazing after struggling for the few weeks before the eating fest. I just hope I dont start stalling too quickly after I get my diet in order.

Anyway today's working sets were:

Squats: 5x5 at 120lbs
    Bench: 5x5 at 82.5lbs
    Rows: 5x5 at 75lbs

On Monday, I almost got 5x5 at 62.5 for overhead press but missed the very last rep which I think I could have gotten if I wasn't so impatient and waited half a min more before doing my last set. But I did get 1x5 for 160lb deadlifts (yay) even though I somehow scrapped some skin off of the area between my thumb and pointer finger. I looked down and i was bleeding. Totally worth it though because the 160 deadlifts felt awesome.

• symba1130
    symba1130 wrote: »
    OHP - This was just comical this morning...no strength.

ahem. 55lbs on ohp most definitely isn't 'no strength'. ;)

Thanks @ canadianlbs! I just did SO good a couple days ago, this felt weak to me. But I also recognize how far I have come since starting in August and give myself a HUGE pat on the back!