Spaghetti Squash for Spaghetti substitution?

Hello,

I'm trying to come up with different ways the kids and I can get more veggies into our diet (other than blending them up in smoothies). Have any of you had success using spaghetti squash in the place of spaghetti? And what do you think about the taste?

Thanks!

Replies

• PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    My mom is a big spaghetti junkie, and sometimes she'll have spaghetti squash in place of spaghetti. I wouldn't say it's a complete substitution, but as long as you use it in spaghetti dishes the kids probably won't notice. Just make sure it's cooked thoroughly and soft enough and put it with red gravy or maybe a little butter and salt :)
  • CatDeeDeeDee
    CatDeeDeeDee Posts: 20 Member
    I've only had spaghetti squash one time and I would honestly never do it again. The taste for me is too sweet to pass as spaghetti though the texture is okay. Give it a shot and see though! No harm in doing that :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I like spaghetti squash, but if you expect it to replace spaghetti, you're going to be disappointed... It's not the same at all. My son won't eat it either. But I suggest trying everything with the kids anyway, you never know what they're going to like (my two LOVE roasted Brussel sprouts!).
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    I eat a lot of spaghetti squash. It, in no way, is like having spaghetti. Spaghetti is pretty tasteless and takes on the taste of whatever you put on it. Spaghetti squash has a taste, a little sweet and, when roasted, a little nutty.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Make french fries, boom more veggies
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Doesn't replace spaghetti but spaghetti squash is good. You can treat it like spaghetti because it shreds into spaghetti likeness, add tomato sauce to it and some ground beef/turkey or crumbled sausage. It's good roasted with garlic too, toss with olive oil, onions and peppers.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    I put broccoli, garlic, and olive oil in my spaghetti. I love most winter veggies, but spaghetti squash is not one of them. It's also one of the only veggies my kids won't touch. It doesn't hurt to try.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    I love the taste! But the taste/texture isn't even close. If your kids are picky, you might want to have a bit of pasta on hand.

Good thing spaghetti sauce is pretty much the easiest thing to sneak veggies into.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    I just serve my pasta sauce over chunks of grilled zucchini. Still tastes great, and you aren't trying to "trick" anyone.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Acg67 wrote: »

How is that relevant or helpful?

• dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    I don't find spaghetti squash a replacement for spaghetti at all but I do love to eat it. I find my favorite way is to mix with mexican style spices and black beans, ground turkey and shredded cheese.
    It's also very good with diced veggies and a little grated parm.

You may want to try the veggie pasta options with the kids, they don't need to know the different colors are veggies. I used to add frozen cauliflower to my mashed potatoes, took my husband 2+ years to catch on and he only did because he saw me add the cauliflower. Another good sneak is ground zucchini into a pasta sauce, easily disguised as spices if you grind it fine also in meatloaf grind down carrots and cauliflower really fine and mix right into your meatloaf they'll never know.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    You could try doing the slow substitution to get used to it. Start by adding just a little spaghetti squash to your regular spaghetti and slowly increase the amount till you've adjusted to the taste and texture and can go full-on squash. I agree that it's not the same, but if you cook it well and use a robust sauce it's a pretty decent substitute.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Oh yeah, I use spaghetti squash as a base for foods that I would pour over pasta all the time. It doesn't taste like pasta to me, but I do think it's very good!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    It's not going to fool anyone into thinking it's pasta. It's not bad-- I've sauteed some with butter and garlic and it was pretty decent that way. But it doesn't mimic spaghetti in flavor or texture imo.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I tried the substitution once and quite frankly I found it to be horrible. I think it works better to find ways to use more veggies *as* veggies in a tasty way than to try to make it seem like something it isn't. For example, try getting a butternut squash. Cut off the rind, hack it into chunks and bake it covered in a little olive oil, garlic and spices. SO GOOD. It's all about preparing and seasoning each type of vegetable for its best flavor and texture. Luckily, the internet is a vast repository of recipes, and nowadays most of them are rated so you're not going into it blind.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    SnicciFit wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »

How is that relevant or helpful?

Yup, not on topic at all

"I'm trying to come up with different ways the kids and I can get more veggies into our diet"

Oh wait, it is. Good job of reading though
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    I don't find spaghetti squash a replacement for spaghetti at all but I do love to eat it. I find my favorite way is to mix with mexican style spices and black beans, ground turkey and shredded cheese.
    It's also very good with diced veggies and a little grated parm.

You may want to try the veggie pasta options with the kids, they don't need to know the different colors are veggies. I used to add frozen cauliflower to my mashed potatoes, took my husband 2+ years to catch on and he only did because he saw me add the cauliflower. Another good sneak is ground zucchini into a pasta sauce, easily disguised as spices if you grind it fine also in meatloaf grind down carrots and cauliflower really fine and mix right into your meatloaf they'll never know.

Definitely trying both of those ways. I've just done it as spaghetti and with olive oil/butter and herbs.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    I like spaghetti squash too. But I agree that is isn't a replacement for pasta. It's also fairly pricey to buy enough to satisfy a whole family.

My recommendation is to invest a few dollars in a spiralizer. Zucchini 'pasta' is quite tasty and you can mix it with regular pasta. Carrots too. Plus it's fun, which always scores points with kids.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Hubby took the substitution well and he's my fussiest eater.

I served this at Christmas dinner. http://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463844222322/

If you are working to make vegetables more appealing, you may also want to try veggie and fruit kabobs. Include marshmallows in the fruit kabobs.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    My family actually does like it as a spaghetti substitute, but it's a little sweet for our tastes, so we like it with a lot of parmesan and a nice savory meat sauce.