Not today!

So I guess I have come to realize, but it is hard for me to remember that every day is an obstacle to the food intake thing. I came in to work this morning, feeling great that I started a new week with a great work out and a great January weight loss goal, only to get an email that today is our firm’s annual ham breakfast with all of the "fixins". Yep, potatoes, grits, muffins, ham and more. Day one and there is a challenge in front of my chubby face. I am not going to attend the breakfast, as much as I would like to consider this another “last supper”. I have had enough last suppers! Every day there is a reason to break the diet – someone’s birthday, an annual ham breakfast, free food, etc. Not today. As I tell my kids, “Make good decisions today!”

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    You can have all those foods in moderation. Ham can be a great choice for some protein.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    I agree with P, this sounds like an excellent breakfast to attend because it isnt based around sweet breakfast foods.

having grits and a small portion of ham and a little bit of maybe eggs and peppers and some coffee? this is a protein packed healthy breakfast!!! similar to what I try to eat probably 3 times a week!

Its not unhealthy just because it smells awesome and mouth-wateringly delicious :P that's an old and incorrect mindset :D

have fun!!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    While I agree that the foods can be okay in moderation, if they aren't part of your plan for the day, good for you for skipping them. It's a-ok to say no when you don't want to eat something, no matter the reason for not eating it.
  • amandae74
    amandae74 Posts: 1 Member
    Sometimes it is easier to avoid going, if the temptation will be to great to over indulge. Next year you will be able to attend and eat in moderation.
  • yoovie
    you shouldnt avoid temptation.

you should practice facing it and dealing with it.

temptation will be in our faces until the day we die - hiding from it is not the solution.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    While I agree that the foods can be okay in moderation, if they aren't part of your plan for the day, good for you for skipping them. It's a-ok to say no when you don't want to eat something, no matter the reason for not eating it.

I completely agree with this! Good for you for saying no when you wanted. Everything in moderation doesn't mean you have to eat everything offered.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    yoovie wrote: »
    you shouldnt avoid temptation.

you should practice facing it and dealing with it.

temptation will be in our faces until the day we die - hiding from it is not the solution.

So, if there is a breakfast and she does not want the food what would you suggest? Go and watch others eat just to prove she can do it? That doesn't sound like much fun.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    jemhh wrote: »

I completely agree with this! Good for you for saying no when you wanted. Everything in moderation doesn't mean you have to eat everything offered.

The point I was trying to make is that, if she did want some of that food, it's not really bad. Ham is a great source of protein. If you look at foods for what they are, you can see what you can incorporate and what you can't incorporate into to any one particular meal.

Me? I would have gone and had ham and some fruit. Great breakfast that hits my macros nicely. That's all I was saying.
  • yoovie
    why are you asking me to give you hypothetical advice that has nothing to do with the situation?

and no, that doesn't sound like fun and it makes absolutely no sense.

She said she'd like to go, so that's what I addressed.

She said she would like to go but cant because the food being served is a challenge. We explained that some of it is fine. Others responded that she shouldnt go if she is tempted. I said that you shouldnt hide from temptation.

You responded with, what if is she isnt tempted and doesnt want to go...

I dont know - why dont you ask her what a completely different scenario would lead to.

wtaflj#