Low carb

Happy sunday morning mfp ppl :D Do any of you follow a low carb lifestyle? If so please add me. If not please add me. I'm starting tomorrow and am fairly stupid on the whole process,lol.

Replies

• craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    The dietitian/nutritionist has me on a low carb lifestyle. It's not that bad. Just give up the rice, bread and all the starches! Friend request sent, maybe we can help each other with ideas
  • Hi foutzt

I follow Low Carb (Started last year but fell off the wagon for a few months) and started back yesterday. Any advice you need feel free to ask :smile:
  • I'm trying to be as low carb as I can but finding it pretty hard! I will add you :)
  • rrquilter
    rrquilter Posts: 1 Member
    I'm doing low carb and here to lose my last 20 lbs. I'm looking for friends, too. How do I add?
  • lauransparta
    lauransparta Posts: 1 Member
    I am just starting. Trying to follow low carbs, no processed, and cutting out sugar. I'm 36, a mom, and a nursing student..... The struggle is real
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Most of the progress I've made is from limiting my carbs. I haven't gone extreme, just very sensible. My ultimate goal is to keep my carbs under 80g per day, but will accept up to 100g as long as I put in a good workout that day.

Feel free to add me up for support, ideas, etc.
  • annapetisidoro
    annapetisidoro Posts: 9 Member
    Hello, everyone! My doctor ordered low carb diet for me as well. Hopefully, I'll get to figure out how to add everyone here on this thread.

I am doing a few days of paleo, but I do not like meat much so it's a challenge.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    If you don't know what low carb is, why do you want to do it? Do you have a specific medical condition requiring it? Otherwise, just eat the foods you enjoy, and track calories to maintain a calorie deficit. It's really a very simple concept, that the weight loss industry attempts to make as complicated as possible in order to maintain their billion dollar sales.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    I eat low carb high fat. Its really helped with my PCOS symptoms! The only thing hard about it is having a husband who does not eat this way and thinks that if we don't have the exact same thing on our plate for dinner our marriage is falling apart.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    I do lower carb. I max out at 150g a day. The reason why I'm doing it is because of pre-menopause and hormone imbalance. I have been doing it for awile, but like a previous poster stated, I fell off the wagon. I really do like how I feel when I exercise consistently and cut out the crazy carbs. I still eat white pasta and potatoes and stuff, but I've definitely learned how to portion it. My entire supper meal isn't potatoes and gravy anymore. I like how protein fills me up and I don't want to stuff my face with toast and margarine. It's going to take some getting used to. You're going to feel like you have the flu at first, but it will pass. I do allow myself a re-feed on Saturdays for 1 meal (usually it's pizza :) I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things, but I can't wait to feel better.
  • IrishDawgg22
    IrishDawgg22 Posts: 28 Member
    Calorie deficit + low carb here. You can add me because I am always on the look out for new low carb/low cal recipes to spice things up.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Calorie deficit + low carb here. You can add me because I am always on the look out for new low carb/low cal recipes to spice things up.

Have you tried that veggie peeler thing yet? it makes zuccini into noodles? I got one at christmas, I'm going to try it tonight with shrimp and steamed cauliflower. I really hope it works. I also use broccoli slaw (steamed) as a noodle subsitute.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Have lost 46 lbs but not until I did start the low carb lifestyle. Was working out with a trainer and eating correctly but had to do low carb to start loss. Doc/nutritionist put me on it cause of my PCOS and hypothyroid- have been doing it for 6 months-- still workin on it and have occasional struggles as before bread was my life!

Feel free to add me!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    tigersword wrote: »
    If you don't know what low carb is, why do you want to do it? Do you have a specific medical condition requiring it? Otherwise, just eat the foods you enjoy, and track calories to maintain a calorie deficit. It's really a very simple concept, that the weight loss industry attempts to make as complicated as possible in order to maintain their billion dollar sales.

I agree with the bolded. I see so many people give up, because they dove into low carb head first and didn't know about and didn't expect some of the things that happen in the beginning and end up thinking that it doesn't work for them. Please, OP, don't be one of them. At least do a little homework on what to expect in the next couple of weeks before you start.

I recommend joining the Low Carber Daily group. It's got a ton of resources for beginners (and more getting added, as the mod team works on building the getting started guide) and a ton of helpful people.

tigersword - you don't have to support the weight loss industry when doing low carb, and using low carb as a means to sustainably achieve a caloric deficit is simple, too. Just buy food -- proteins (meat, fakemeat/tofu if that's your thing), fats (cream, cheeses, coconut/avocado/olive oil, etc), and non-starchy vegetables. No "products" necessary.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    I agree with Dragonwolf...the Low Carber Daily group has a lot of resources and members who have experience long term doing low carb WOE. I've done the low carb and maintained before getting pregnant. I found MFP and the groups and have learned SO much more about the low carb/keto WOE.
  • lifeofheart
    lifeofheart Posts: 13 Member
    I am just beginning this life change also and I could use some support and am willing to give support. I could also use as many ideas as possible (so I will check out the Low Carber Daily Group--thanks, Dragonwolf!). Please add me!
  • IrishDawgg22
    IrishDawgg22 Posts: 28 Member
    lilRicki wrote: »

Have you tried that veggie peeler thing yet? it makes zuccini into noodles? I got one at christmas, I'm going to try it tonight with shrimp and steamed cauliflower. I really hope it works. I also use broccoli slaw (steamed) as a noodle subsitute.

Not a big veggie guy, but I am going to try the Zucchini pasta this weekend. As I was searching videos for that I also found a great recipe for cauliflower/mozza pizza crust that sounds tasty.
  • FixieFreak
    FixieFreak Posts: 11 Member
    I do the exact opposite, I eat a diet consisting of rice, pasta, beans, fruits, and vegetables, avoiding added sugars, and fats as much as possible. On any given day my diet is 80-85% carbs, and <10% fat and <10% protein. I have followed this diet for quite a while in one form or another, I have lost a total of about 200lbs, and 35lbs recently. It is very easy to follow, and weight lose has been pretty easy. It has worked for me when I have been in a high activity job, as well as the last 3 month when I have been mostly sitting as a result of a broken foot. By blood markers are all excellent, as well as blood pressure.

There are several great doctors with books on the subject, but my favorite is Dr. John McDougall. You can get his material for free on his website, or watch many wonderful lectures of his on YouTube.
  • I am also trying to go low carb. My biggest problem has been eating too much bread, so I am trying to eat more protein. I really think I will feel better in the long run.
  • paisleemendez
    paisleemendez Posts: 20 Member
    I'm on a low carb diet & would like some friends in a similar situation:) please add me if you would like.