Time to be honest

rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
edited January 2015 in Motivation and Support
Well, I did it. I was honest with myself. I re-entered the weight I now am -- 126 lbs. -- the same weight I was when I started MFP a year ago. My ticker shows the truth -- 0 lb. lost. It makes a big difference to actually claim it and look at it on a screen. I basically regained the same six lbs. I gained back in less than one month what it took me 6 months of tracking and exercise to lose. I thought that I should just wait a bit until it comes off, but just had my check-up today, and that's what the scale said. There is no point in being denial. I am just another of those food addicts who gains and loses the same weight every year due to bad holiday eating and lack of discipline. The funny thing is -- my doctor didn't even yell at me. He just acted like "It's just holiday weight like everyone puts on. Your heart and BP are normal." Yet we know that the average American gains 5+ lbs. every holiday, and never takes it off, eventually accumulating the pounds to the point of obesity. I feel medical professionals should do better about holding patients more accountable to their health.

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Hi rosebette,
    Do you always use your doctors scale for your weight? If not check your weight on the scale you normally use. I only ever go by the weight on my bathroom scale as that is the one I have nearly always used ( had to get a new one, just after I started, and it put 2 lb on me, so I never know if I started at 128 or 130).

Glad to hear everything else was fine at the docs.

I do know you are within your nornal BMI, just disapointed that you are not loosing those last few pounds. With all the working out you are doing, do you find your clothes are fitting better even though the pounds aren't moving the way you want?

I too wonder why a persons doctor does not advise weight loss ( it would be hard in your circumstances as you are not over weight). My mother in law had 3 TIA's within a month, and diet and exercise were barely mentioned even though she was obese. Had me pulling my hair out as I was looking after her as she recovered.
    Cheers, h.
  • rosebette
    I weigh myself at home every 2-3 days. I weighed myself before going to the doctor's. The weights were identicical (unfortunately)! My clothes were fitting great when I was between 118-120. Over the summer I had actually lost a pant size, even though I was 120. Today I put on a pair of pants I bought last spring, and they are really tight. Although my BMI is not overweight, I definitely have plenty of body fat now, probably the "skinny fat" or "normal weight overfat" category that can be just as dangerous as being overweight or obese. I have a big tummy bulge and my thighs rub together when I walk. So, my gain is definitely not extra muscle mass. Due to a shoulder injury, I haven't been able to "lift heavy" since late October; my main exercise has been cardio, abs, and lower body training, obviously not enough to offset holiday and vacation overeating.

• SativaMad
    SativaMad Posts: 171 Member
    Slightly off topic.. But according to my BMI I'm over weight, Um yeah.. So personally i think BMI is BS.

Work by the mirror and how your clothes fit. Go get your bodyfat tested accurately and work from there.

Decrease Carb intake when not active and maybe focus more on HIIT training..
  • rosebette
    edited January 2015
    My bodyfat was 31% at 120 lbs., so can't imagine what it is now. I am on the curvy side, but anything over 28% is supposed to be unhealthy in a woman. I have been trying to increase my protein ratio, which would naturally bring the carbs down.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2015
    at 126lb he could hardly say anything! thats low, I'm petite (5ft 2") and a good bit heavier and I'm slim at 135. My bf is 23%.
    Perhaps your body is happy at this weight so you'll have to work harder to go lower. I know mine has resisted getting any lower than 133lbs and I'm slim at that so I decided to stop fighting it and just maintain. It was such a relief to do this and I'm much happier with myself now :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    rosebette wrote: »
    My bodyfat was 31% at 120 lbs., so can't imagine what it is now. I am on the curvy side, but anything over 28% is supposed to be unhealthy in a woman. I have been trying to increase my protein ratio, which would naturally bring the carbs down.
    You need to get on the exercise/fitness bandwagon...do strength training and those inches will melt off you. I mix strength training x 3 days with cardio x 5 days.
    It gets GREAT results :)
  • rosebette
    edited January 2015
    The thing is -- I do exercise every day. I walk 1 1/2 to 2 miles a day, do a heavy cardio class (kickboxing or zumba) at least twice a week, yoga or pilates 1-2 times a week, and strength training. I had to back off on the upper body strength training the past two months due to a shoulder injury, though. I don't think the problem is lack of exercise -- it's eating. Even a "heavy" exercise class burns under 500 calories on my frame, and over the past month I was clearly eating more than 500 calories over my daily limit. The vacation week when I really overdid the eating, I was also walking 5 miles a day around the city where we stayed and using the hotel gym. However, that's not enough to burn off poutine (french fries with cheese gravy!) or a chocolate martini and a flourless chocolate cake for dessert. Since Sunday, I have been back on track, eating only my BMR (which is only around 1100) plus exercise calories, but it will take a long time to take off the weight I put on over only a short period. That's the scary thing -- how fast it comes on and how slowly it comes off. This is why so many of us gain and gain and gain every year -- and often get a "pass" from our medical professionals at our checkup -- until we are obese or have a significant health problem.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited January 2015
    So, you are active! I really do understand what you mean about losing slowly, painful isn't it! you sound so much like me, all I will say is have patience, it took me over a year to get to my goal weight but I've maintained it for over a year now. Weight loss stalls for all sorts of reasons, I actually think in winter it stalls more, no idea why either!
    Keep an eye on the kinds of calories you're taking, go easy on the sodium (that affects the scale reading big time!), I know its basically CICO but I always find if I cut back on carbs a little, the refined ones, then a loss happens.
    Just keep on going, you WILL get there :)
  • rosebette
    Thanks for the encouragement. It's always good to get advice from people close to my own body size because you have perspective on what a low deficit we usually have to work with. You must be in wonderful shape to be at only 23% body fat!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    YAY TIME FOR YOUR COMEBACK TOUR!!!!!!!!!