Runners-Whats the coldest youve ever run in?

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    15F is my limit. Lower than that, and it really aggravates my asthma. Give me 40F and sunshine though, and I'm out the door in shorts!

I hear you on the shorts thing. I hate running in tights or pants and will only do so when it gets below freezing. I was out in shorts last week at 35f and felt just fine. I did get strange looks and one comment :)
  • traci9028
    traci9028 Posts: 104 Member
    I would love to visit Houston for a run but like someone else said, I don't like to run when I'm too hot. Here in Ohio, it was 11 degrees yesterday when I went for a run. I had to walk through the snow in my driveway to get to the paved road, where most of the snow was removed. I also think I would prefer the cold over the wind, where some people have mentioned having in the PNW. Good luck.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    20s and snowy during cross country in high school.

I really don't mind runs in the 30s (with proper gear!) Much lower than that can be quite uncomfortable though, it seems harder to breath.
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    edited January 2015
    If given a choice, I run inside if under 30 degrees (I know, I know I'm a big baby...I did run 5K in 27 degrees the other day and it was fine so maybe I'll lower it to 25). This being said, I was training for a 5K last March and had to run outside in the low 20's....once. Hated it. I LOVE 40 and sunny. My fav. I also don't like running over 70degrees lol
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    My lowest is in the teens with windchill of around 0-10 once it goes negative i am done. It is the windchill that gets me not the air temp. Luckily it only lasts a few weeks out of a year. Also I need some better gear to keep me comfortable when it gets that cold. I would love for it to be 29 here. But of course I could not take the heat in the summer in Texas. I run a paved walking path through parks which is a major biking and walking thoroughfare so the municipality keeps it clean and salted. College towns.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    -22°F with windchill. I'm sure our Canadian and Scandinavian friends have encountered colder, but when there's ice on your beard when you get home, that's plenty cold enough -

1558595_10151800147851010_1502302225_n.jpg?oh=91a59aaf10aaf2ab1f09951aa8885acc&oe=5532B212
    What kind of running jacket is that?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    ninav1980 wrote: »
    You guys would laugh at the way everyone is freaking out in Houston. HARD FREEZE warnings. Its currently 58 degrees and forecast to drop to 29 tonight. Its all over the news! lol
    Well you guys have made me feel better about running in the cold :) I suppose I would do the same if I lived in a place with harsh winters.

Honestly I perform better in colder temps than hot ones. Out here in the Mid Atlantic we get MISERABLE/muggy summers (if you're in Texas, I'm preaching to the choir)...I cannot tolerate the heat/humidity. I get winded and dehydrated very quickly and my muscles cramp.
    I'm a native Montanan so I'd much rather run in the cold.

I disagree. I live in Iowa, where it is extremely humid in the summers. A few years ago, in July, I was in dry Houston. All of the locals were remarking how hot I must be because I'm from Iowa. The day I left, it was 93 degrees in Houston. It was also 93 degrees in Des Moines. When I stepped off of the plane, my glasses fogged up and the air was noticably thicker and heavier (and more difficult to breathe). That 93 degree weather in Des Moines was much worse than the 93 degree weather in Houston because there was practically no humidity in Houston.
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Anything above 30°...other than that it burns my lungs
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    You guys would laugh at the way everyone is freaking out in Houston. HARD FREEZE warnings. Its currently 58 degrees and forecast to drop to 29 tonight. Its all over the news! lol
    Well you guys have made me feel better about running in the cold :) I suppose I would do the same if I lived in a place with harsh winters.

Honestly I perform better in colder temps than hot ones. Out here in the Mid Atlantic we get MISERABLE/muggy summers (if you're in Texas, I'm preaching to the choir)...I cannot tolerate the heat/humidity. I get winded and dehydrated very quickly and my muscles cramp.
    I'm a native Montanan so I'd much rather run in the cold.

I disagree. I live in Iowa, where it is extremely humid in the summers. A few years ago, in July, I was in dry Houston. All of the locals were remarking how hot I must be because I'm from Iowa. The day I left, it was 93 degrees in Houston. It was also 93 degrees in Des Moines. When I stepped off of the plane, my glasses fogged up and the air was noticably thicker and heavier (and more difficult to breathe). That 93 degree weather in Des Moines was much worse than the 93 degree weather in Houston because there was practically no humidity in Houston.

Guess it also depends on where in Texas it is and also the day.
    I know in Montana we have that glorious desert heat...if you're in the shade or if it's in the morning/evening it's cool/comfortable/VERY run-able...
    But some days here in Maryland it's humid/muggy before the sun even comes up...and of course muggy has its own host of problems like nasty mosquitoes that won't leave you alone :(
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    So far, about 15 degrees (5 when you factor in windchill). I have a 90 minute brick on tap for tonight though, so I'll probably be running in colder temps - the forecast for the approximate time I'll be getting off the bike trainer and heading outside for my 30 minute run is 2 degrees with a windchill of -15....I have plenty of layers, but I'll need a balaclava for my face, and although I know we have plenty of them at camp for snowmobiling, I'm not sure we have any at the house...if there isn't one, then I'll be stuck on the dreadmill for the first time in two years (so cross your fingers that we have a balaclava floating around the house somewhere). At least I'll already be nice and warm from the 60 minute ride, so I won't have to worry about over-layering :)

I also run in snow and on hardpack. If it's just snow/slushy streets, I just go slower and watch my footing. I use yaktrax when I'm running on hardpack (snow compressed into ice). :)

I'm in Upstate NY (smack in the middle of the snow belt - we got 2 feet of lake effect on Monday, and although some schools closed early, everything else was open...it was just another day for us LOL), and it snows from October until April, so running in cold is a necessity for those of us who can't do the dreadmill. :smiley:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    belgerian wrote: »
    -22°F with windchill. I'm sure our Canadian and Scandinavian friends have encountered colder, but when there's ice on your beard when you get home, that's plenty cold enough -

1558595_10151800147851010_1502302225_n.jpg?oh=91a59aaf10aaf2ab1f09951aa8885acc&oe=5532B212
    What kind of running jacket is that?

Champion C9, from Target. It's pretty nice. I wear it with two other thin layers and it works well down to very low temps.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    -8 and like some other poster stated...i still got hot

really?? interesting

Yea i typically run cold weather in a long sleeve shirt from underarmor and a jacket..running leggings and wind pants...(of course gloves and hats)

and despite the cold..my shirt is still wet when Im done
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Ha, I had someone tell me some schools are getting ready to warn parents. I understand most people wouldn't be used to driving in icy weather though.

I usually leave for a run around 5:50am, looks like I have 28 (feels like 20) degree weather to look forward too. It's going to be a gamble figuring out what to wear, but at least it's easier to get warmer in cold weather than it is to get cool in hot weather.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Ha, I had someone tell me some schools are getting ready to warn parents. I understand most people wouldn't be used to driving in icy weather though.

I usually leave for a run around 5:50am, looks like I have 28 (feels like 20) degree weather to look forward too. It's going to be a gamble figuring out what to wear, but at least it's easier to get warmer in cold weather than it is to get cool in hot weather.

Well and honestly after the first mile or two you start to warm up.
    A good pair of gloves (thin but warm) is a must for running in cold weather. That and cold toes are two things I really can't stand. I mean your feet warm up after a while but the fingers? uuuggghhhh...*shudder*
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Oh god, I made the mistake of not wearing gloves once and had the hardest time trying to unlock the door.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    When I first started running, I was so determined that I ran no matter what...and 20s were my lowest. Now I'll just rearrange my run days and try not to run when it "feels like" below 35 or so. More than the cold, I can't stand running when its windy, so if its just cold, I'll usually go out. If its cold and 13 mph+ winds, I'm working out at home. But I ran my big mouth this week and am running a 15k in freezing temps this Saturday.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Oh god, I made the mistake of not wearing gloves once and had the hardest time trying to unlock the door.

ive done that too and yea no fun...and thats without wind
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    So far about 15 degrees. I put off my Tuesday morning run yesterday due to high winds and -18 wind chills, opting to run in the afternoon instead when it was near 30 and the winds had died down. I may do the same for my Thursday morning run tomorrow because the forecasted wind chills are in the -20 to -25 range tomorrow morning. Running in strong wind is hard enough as it is, I am not really keen on the idea of doing it while freezing my face off.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Running in the cold burns more calories because your body is losing heat ;)
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    edited January 2015
    The coldest was last year... -5F with a windchill of -17F. I run outside all winter so once I figured out what layering works for me, I stay warm. This morning's windchill of -7F was the coldest so far this year...
    21k2znkf67va.jpg