"I want to lose weight, but I don't want to get too skinny!"

1111213141517»

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    RHachicho wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    Well for me it's about being able to live comfortably. And being able to maintain a decent amount of muscle. As someone who has lost a lot of weight and will lose more this year I can definitely say that there are some good things about being fat. You feel the cold less. And are generally more comfortable. Having quite a lot of body padding. It's like having your own portable sofa. When you get skinny I imagine you feel your skeleton a lot and that can be a disconcerting and uncomfortable experience for someone who isn't used to it.

There is also the fact that the skinnier you want to be the more you have to try. Some people just like eating too much to want to hit skinny. They just don't want to be obese. There are many reasons truth told for not wanting to be skinny. Nor is being "skinny" healthier than being at a normal weight and body fat %. Past a certain point the lack of fat begins to negatively impact overall health.

While I don't agree with some people these days who seem to think that being seriously obese is totally ok I think that as long as you maintain reasonable goals what you want your body shape to be and how it fits into your life should be entirely your own decision. It's true that being chubby probably impacts your health in a minor way. But no more so than being skinny. And neither are such a huge deal that we need to do anything about it. It's being emaciated or becoming obese that become a problem. It's all about keeping things within reason.

your first paragraph confuses me. I have never "felt my skeleton" even when I'm skinny. Sure I guess I'm probably cold more often than an obese person, but wouldn't I also be less hot in extreme heat?

Well as someone who has gone from borderline morbidly obese to just .. chubby I definitely feel my skeleton a lot more. And yes you are right you sweat more in hot weather when you are fat. But personally I always found being too hot less uncomfortable than being too cold. Being fat might not be very attractive. And might make you slow and nonathletic. But it IS comfy.

yes, this is probably true. it's 10 degrees in nyc today and i thought my limbs would fall off during my 2.5 mile walk home. i could have used some extra fat. so cold!

i don't mind the heat at all. used to hate it, but i like it now.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2015
    I am not good with heat. At all. That's just me. My sister, for example, is the complete opposite. She says she wishes she had been born a lizard so she could sun herself all day on a rock. (And she's not thin.)

But me...no. Just no! And here in SoCal, inland, it gets up to 100F+ routinely for up to three months of the year. Feeling horrible when it gets hot is actually one of my big weight loss motivators. Every June I start thinking, "Oh my God. I just can't do this, I'll never get through this summer." I don't want to feel that way this June. I've had enough dread-filled Junes and horridly suffocating (suffocating in my own mass, actually) Julies through Septembers.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I never had that issue. I didn't mind or enjoyed heat and hated cold when I was at my fattest, and still do. I haven't actually noticed being colder at all.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I feel you. Fear of getting fatter is real, especially for those of us who have struggled with weight.

But I was addressing an earlier point being made about normal weight people being scared of hitting 300lbs.

I have never met a person who is normal weight, and has never had a weight problem, be terrified of being 300lbs or more. It's not a rational fear.

Which makes it odd to see obese and morbidly obese people proclaim, almost proudly, that they will never get "too skinny" like one of those runway models or whatever other tag is going down.
    I have met many people like that. Like my sister and one of my good friends. My mother was obese...VERY obese. 5'1" and probably close to 300. My sister, who has never been even one pound overweight, is absolutely terrified of ending up looking like our mother. She has a lot of anxiety over food despite the fact that she has been at a healthy weight every day of her life. My friend is the same way...because of her mother and other heavy women in her family.

Is the fear rational? I don't know. Depends on your perspective, but it certainly seems rational to me. After all, we had the same parents and I did become obese.

One reason many healthy weight people would not express a fear of becoming 300 pounds....quite simply, they are not TRYING to gain any weight. They have always been at a weight they like and are not trying to make any changes in their life. MOst have no reason to worry about it. An overweight/obese person IS trying to lose weight. I think most of them are probably simply expressing that they do not wish to go from one extreme to the other. I have no problem with that.

Not all women want to be skinny. Most want to be at a healthy weight which THEY view as attractive. There is no one magic number at which you are healthiest. I believe everybody has a range. Within that range it is fine to pick the spot at which you feel best or most like how you look. Some look best a little lighter. Others look better a little heavier. If that is a little heavier than some people find aesthetically ideal, who cares? Taste is very individual.

Very well said.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I never had that issue. I didn't mind or enjoyed heat and hated cold when I was at my fattest, and still do. I haven't actually noticed being colder at all.

Just like to clarify that I totally get why some people wouldn't want to be even a little fat. Personally I find sleeping sitting on hard surfaces and generally leaning on things less comfortable now. Also after over a decade of being made of soft squishy stuff having hard muscular legs was just a strange and odd feeling to get used to. But that's just my opinion. I can totally understand why someone with a different outlook on these issues might hold a different opinion. That was really my point from the get go. That different people are happy at different places. And as long as we don't go to one extreme or another it really shouldn't be as much of an issue as it .. apparently ... is.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

Just like to clarify that I totally get why some people wouldn't want to be even a little fat. Personally I find sleeping sitting on hard surfaces and generally leaning on things less comfortable now. Also after over a decade of being made of soft squishy stuff having hard muscular legs was just a strange and odd feeling to get used to. But that's just my opinion. I can totally understand why someone with a different outlook on these issues might hold a different opinion. That was really my point from the get go. That different people are happy at different places. And as long as we don't go to one extreme or another it really shouldn't be as much of an issue as it .. apparently ... is.

I get this ... also I don't like feeling my ribs as much as I can at the moment and am hoping I will get used to it
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Oh, I get your point too and the sitting thing also. Just weighing in on the temps, since it seems to be a common experience I never had.

Agree that people should go with their own preferences and that it's pretty subjective. I hated how my body felt when I was obese and even significantly overweight, but I actually felt fine at, say, 150, even though that's still 10 lbs overweight for me. I am just better at running and look better when I'm at the mid to lower end of the BMI.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    edited January 2015
    Your opinion not mine.

Well yes sir, it is my opinion. I don't recall suggesting it was anything but.
    I also find it very annoying frankly that you seem to take issue with people not wanting to be skinny. Someone can not want to be fat but apparently not wanting to be skinny is simply inconceivable to you.

I'll find a way, somehow, to live with your annoyance.

And the fact that you absolutely missed the entire point of my thread. I have zero issue with "people not wanting to be skinny". Who cares? The premise of this thread was to explore the mindset behind why so many fat people set goal weights that are still relatively high and seem to have an, IMO, irrational fear of getting "too skinny" (or whatever term you'd like to use to denote a low body fat percentage). It was a simple observation I've noticed countless times and wanted to get thoughts on the reasoning behind it. The rest of your post is paranoia that is irrelevant to my inquiry. If you feel attacked, that wasn't my intention. If you felt physically comfortable with lots of excess adipose tissue on your body, or you've got a high goal weight, more power to you. Enjoy!