The latest food/diet buzzword - 'reducetarian'

OK, so I may be slow to the party here but I've seen a lot of articles lately about a new 'type' of eating choice - someone who still eats meat but tries to reduce their intake, hence 'reducetarian'.
Completely unrelated at the latter part of last year I was considering trying to eat just veggie meals mid week, for a few reasons a) get out of my 'cooking rut' by planning evening meals around what meat I have in the fridge b)to broaden my veggie recipe repertoire c) to see if I can reduce weekly food bills by buying/eating less meat d) see what health benefits it might provide to me if any.

Has anyone joined the 'Reducetarian Pledge'? Any ideas for recipes? Are there any conversation threads I am missing on here already about this? (I searched and no results came back.) Just looking for general advice on recipes and other people's thoughts on this new(?) buzzword/diet.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    reducetarian...

I'm going to punch someone. I mean seriously. How many more stupid terms can we make up?

Call me a coconutarian today, I'mma gunna make eggs with coconut oil.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    edited January 2015
    I was a vegetarian for 6 years before going back to eating some types this past October. If someone asked me what you'd call someone trying to reduce their meat intake, I wouldnt think to call them "reducetarians". Id call them someone trying to reduce their meat intake. Why does everyone need a special word? I can understand someone wanting to cut back, but this term is new to me
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2015
    Do a searches for vegan or vegetarian.
    (Reducetarian seems to be a U.K. thing that has not taken off in the U.S.)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    If this is a thing, then I must have become an "Increasetarian" when I started losing weight.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I hadn't heard that word before. I have, however, seen "flexitarian" which pretty much describes exactly what you're trying to do with trading out meatless meals for ones where you would previously eaten meat.
  • PearlAng
    Also, to answer your question about meal ideas, a good vegetable grilled cheese on rye bread always has and always will be one of my go tos. Butternut squash, spinach, almonds and a little olive oil with some seasonings would also be a nice hot meal to try
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Reducitarian, flexitarian (which is basically, a normal omnivore)...all stupid labels.

I'm with dbmata....stupid is stupid is stupid.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    semi vegetarian(only eats chicken/fish occasionally) or flexitarian (eats meat, not everyday) are the terms I have heard here the most.

I am a vegetarian (no meat, fish, or fowl) and I eat alot of beans/veggies/rice and potatoes.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited January 2015
    Another sign of the "everyone gets a medal" society we live in. (in this case medal=buzzword for your diet) Want to feel special? Here's a cool new buzzword to call your diet because omnivore is just so boring amd buzzwords are much cooler.
  • clur_85
    clur_85 Posts: 22 Member
    and this is why I don't come in the forums :) *opens floodgates*
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    I've only heard it referred to as flexitarian before.

If you're looking for more vegetarian / vegan meals then the possibilities are endless. During the winter the slow cooker is my friend - lots of hearty soups and stews, chillis, curries, etc. Use beans, chickpeas, lentils or meat alternatives to add protein for a complete meal.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I'd call them insecuritaritans. Why can't we just eat??
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    I'm torn - on one hand, anything to encourage people to eat less meat is good in my eyes :) On the other - don't give it a stupid label to feel special. If you need to explain what you can eat for someone making you a meal, just say the things!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I don't even understand what the point of this reducetarian is? Are you trying to eat less meat, less food..????

I am an allfoodinmoderationetarian
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Reducitarian, flexitarian (which is basically, a normal omnivore)...all stupid labels.

I'm with dbmata....stupid is stupid is stupid.

+2
  • PRMinx

I guess people need labels to feel special. I don't get it.
  • PRMinx
    jmauerhan wrote: »
    I'm torn - on one hand, anything to encourage people to eat less meat is good in my eyes :) On the other - don't give it a stupid label to feel special. If you need to explain what you can eat for someone making you a meal, just say the things!

What is wrong with meat?
  • PearlAng

I guess people need labels to feel special. I don't get it.
    That makes me a betrayitarian then (according to one of my coworkers)
  • jmauerhan
    jmauerhan Posts: 82 Member
    jmauerhan wrote: »

What is wrong with meat?

Are you asking what *I* think is wrong with it because you actually want to know the reasons I am vegetarian, or are you asking because you want to insist that meat is okay for you and other people?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited January 2015
    semi vegetarian(only eats chicken/fish occasionally) or flexitarian (eats meat, not everyday) are the terms I have heard here the most.

Which is baby snowflake terminology for the adult term: omnivore.