The latest food/diet buzzword - 'reducetarian'

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    jmauerhan wrote: »
    I'm torn - on one hand, anything to encourage people to eat less meat is good in my eyes :)
    Oh really?

Why is meat bad?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I'm torn - on one hand, anything to encourage people to eat less meat is good in my eyes :) On the other - don't give it a stupid label to feel special. If you need to explain what you can eat for someone making you a meal, just say the things!

What is wrong with meat?

Are you asking what *I* think is wrong with it because you actually want to know the reasons I am vegetarian, or are you asking because you want to insist that meat is okay for you and other people?

I didn't know you were a vegetarian. I have no problems with that.

But, yes, meat is ok for people who choose to eat meat.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Wouldn't "Reductarian" be more correct?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    http://michaelpollan.com/articles-archive/michael-pollan-answers-readers-questions/

"There’s research to suggest that vegetarians and vegans are generally healthier than the rest of us; however “flexitarians” — carnivores who eat meat once or twice a week — are just as healthy. "

Pollan also goes into the environmental effects of meat-heavy diets, in his books.

There are a lot of reasons to cut down. Not choosing to is fine, too, but I wouldn't act like anyone who does is stupid.

• dbmata
    Pollan is great, but he's whole hog on the hippy berzerkley vegan/veggie head stuff.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    I think it is because of environmental concerns and less about diet. The beef industry is pretty terrible for the enviornment :/

I've never been a huge meat eater, but I eat about 90% paleo now so I have meat at almost every meal, typically chicken. I like beef but I rarely cook it for myself so I only have it occasionally.

I agree that having a term for this is a little silly.
  • dbmata
    I think it is because of environmental concerns and less about diet. The beef industry is pretty terrible for the enviornment :/

I've never been a huge meat eater, but I eat about 90% paleo now so I have meat at almost every meal, typically chicken. I like beef but I rarely cook it for myself so I only have it occasionally.

Then don't eat feed lot beef. Beef is bad, but chicken is far worse.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    http://michaelpollan.com/articles-archive/michael-pollan-answers-readers-questions/

"There’s research to suggest that vegetarians and vegans are generally healthier than the rest of us; however “flexitarians” — carnivores who eat meat once or twice a week — are just as healthy. "

Pollan also goes into the environmental effects of meat-heavy diets, in his books.

There are a lot of reasons to cut down. Not choosing to is fine, too, but I wouldn't act like anyone who does is stupid.

ahh yes the new York times, totally legit source for nutrition...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    Pollan is great, but he's whole hog on the hippy berzerkley vegan/veggie head stuff.

I suppose great is subjective, I find him to be a fear mongering quack
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    im a vegetarian who misses white fish, so that makes me?
  • dbmata
    Acg67 wrote: »

I think the depth an subject matter he covered in Cooked to be quite good. Omni's dilemma was a good thought exercise, but ultimately off base.

I like him because he's a legit writer, not a blogger with a book deal, which is what most of the food and cookbook writing out there is.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I'm torn - on one hand, anything to encourage people to eat less meat is good in my eyes :) On the other - don't give it a stupid label to feel special. If you need to explain what you can eat for someone making you a meal, just say the things!

What is wrong with meat?

Are you asking what *I* think is wrong with it because you actually want to know the reasons I am vegetarian, or are you asking because you want to insist that meat is okay for you and other people?

But since being a vegetarian/vegan usually boils down to one's ethical preference, it isn't shocking to think that one who is a vegetarian would believe that it would be ethically better if everyone chose less meat. Nothing wrong with that in my opinon.

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Acg67 wrote: »

I think the depth an subject matter he covered in Cooked to be quite good. Omni's dilemma was a good thought exercise, but ultimately off base.

I like him because he's a legit writer, not a blogger with a book deal, which is what most of the food and cookbook writing out there is.

That i won't disagree with, but his incessant fear mongering on GMO's despite the lack of evidence to substantiate his claims is off putting
  • dbmata
    Hornsby wrote: »

What is wrong with meat?

But since being a vegetarian/vegan usually boils down to one's ethical preference, it isn't shocking to think that one who is a vegetarian would believe that it would be ethically better if everyone chose less meat. Nothing wrong with that in my opinon.

As long as it is based in logic.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member

But beef is cuter. Wait I mean cows. Cows are cuter than chickens.

(I think I just let off that when I look at cows, I mostly think of steak...)
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    This is a really stupid term that makes me want to KILL SOMETHING, but it is a concept that I whole-heartedly agree with.

Reducing meat intake saves money and is more environmentally sustainable than eating large amounts of meat. Personally, I feel like if you're not going to go full-fledged vegan, what's the point of still eating animal products like eggs and cheese but not eating meat? You're still contributing to the production of animal products for consumption, if that's what you have an ethical issue with. Rather than go vegetarian, I'd rather reduce my meat intake in general, and thus be able to spend more money on quality, more sustainable meat, etc. Plus, it leaves more room in one's diet for lots of vegetables.

I eat meat, but not every day, and only sometimes as the main part of a meal. This isn't on even on purpose--I just can't understand how people afford to eat huge portions of meat every day. Plus, it's a pain to store safely and worry about thawing, freezing, keeping insulated when on the go...
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    I do that already. It's called being broke, frugal, and creatively using leftovers. Not a new phenomenon. Meat is expensive, so we stretch it in our home to make it last.
  • dbmata
    VeryKatie wrote: »

But beef is cuter. Wait I mean cows. Cows are cuter than chickens.

(I think I just let off that when I look at cows, I mostly think of steak...)
    Everything cute is tasty.

When I see rabbits, I just want to hold them and hug them and pat them. They make excellent stew.

Veal? My god, so cute. So delicious.

Quail? Well, I could go on. ;)
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Just waiting for the 'Hey, anybody lose weight on the Freegan diet?' posts to show up. ;)
  • dbmata
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Just waiting for the 'Hey, anybody lose weight on the Freegan diet?' posts to show up. ;)
    I think the constant vomiting, diarhhea and other maladies would make that a given. lol.