Upper body workouts- I am 60 years young

Thanks for the comments thus far...I have combined an upper body workout with my daily walking routine. I know that not many calories are burned when doing an upper body workout, but have heard that calories are burned faster while toning muscle. I want to tone, but continue to burn as many calories per day to lose weight. I started walking the end of Feb, 2014 and am still going, but only 2.2 miles/day...I've found this works best for me. I have lost about 20lbs over this period and want to lose another 20. Suggestions?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    I didn't see your other posts. What do you need help with?
    Why don't you do lower body strength training?

• petee5854
    petee5854 Posts: 36 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I didn't see your other posts. What do you need help with?
    Why don't you do lower body strength training?

I don't know why you are not seeing my other posts..anyway, I have not been doing lower body strength training simply because I am doing a moderate walking routine for 45 minutes 5 days a week...
    I just chose to some some upper body strength training to tone up and help burn calories, as well..
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Walking will not provide the same muscle building stimulus that strength training will. As such, you're basically neglecting half of your body by not doing lower body strength training.

I would consider incorporating that into your routine in addition to the walking you're doing.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Pushups and bent over rows are a couple of the basics - wouldn't hurt to add some squats too, just with your body weight even
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    I am 53 and I do cardio 3 days a week and strength training 3 days a week for both upper and lower body. I agree strength training as very important for toning but also to prevent osteoporosis. Start slow with body weight as resistance then you can add weights or resistance bands. Use a variety of exercises and explore have fun. Look online for information or talk to a trainer to set up a program. It is well worth it to have someone set it up and show you form. A lot of techniques and exercises are different than what we were taught as kids.
  • petee5854
    petee5854 Posts: 36 Member
    Thanks for all your feedback...I will incorporate a lower body workout in my routine, as well...