I want to eat more fish.

Sagenettle
Sagenettle Posts: 31 Member
So, I've never been a fish person. I've tried countless times over the years to like cooked salmon and I always just hate it (with the exception of one time ever that has never since been repeated). But, logically I realize that fish can be very healthy for you, so I'd love some tried-and-true recipes for preparing fish. Searching online for recipes never goes that well for me because there are just so many and I get overwhelmed. I have a Costco sized bag of frozen mahi-mahi filets in my freezer as we speak and I really want to give enjoying fish another valiant try. Any suggestions welcome and appreciated!!!

Replies

• Sagenettle
    No i didn't see that, but looking through it almost all the posts are about shellfish, which I certainly don't have a problem enjoying (especially shrimp). There were a couple of actual fish ideas in there though, thanks!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Halibut or cod
    Tempura batter
    Fry
    Make taco with fish, crema, citrus
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    rainbow trout, Sablefish (black cod), halibut, arctic char, so much so good. do a little research on quality fish because for example not all salmon are created equally. I have a post in the above thread
  • Sagenettle
    BFDeal wrote: »
    My first question would be is there something as "healthy" for you which you'd enjoy eating more than something you don't seem to like?

I like almost anything, honestly. I certainly didn't get fat by being a picky eater, so yeah I'm sure I can eat tons of other things that can be considered healthy. But I don't know, I just feel like there are benefits to eating fish and I always like to give things a shot so I guess that's why I'm interested in finding some good recipes to try out.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    6nh2hubpg0w1.gif
  • tohorse
    tohorse Posts: 14 Member
    i love cod filets, I bake them with a little buttermilk in the baking dish, keeps the fish moist and adds a little flaver, sprinkle some parmasen cheese on each, place a thin slice of onion on top of filets, some spray pam on top of that, and then salt and pepper , I don't like buttermilk but this makes the cod really good, bake at the time and heat that the fillets say. give it a try its wonderful.
  • tohorse
    tohorse Posts: 14 Member
    forgot I personally don't like the taste of the onion when done so take it off but my husband does like it
  • Sagenettle
    edited January 2015
    That's interesting, I remember years ago a co-worker of mine told me that her favorite way to cook fish was to bake it in milk. I never actually tried it. Thanks!

Edit 'cause i just saw your other post - I LOVE onion so I think I'll try keeping it on and see where that takes me. ;)
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    I'm a massive fan of Asian flavours with fish. Cod is pretty inoffensive and tends to just take on whatever flavours you put with it so could be a good place to start. Try baking it. Wrap it in foil, add ginger, chilli, garlic, honey, fish sauce, soy sauce and a few lime wedges. Close it up and put it in the oven for 15 minutes.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    6nh2hubpg0w1.gif

hahaha

• youngmommy2
    youngmommy2 Posts: 71 Member
    Fish is hit or miss for me. It took a long time for me to like it.
    I love salmon so I just cook it with whatever seasoning I feel like for the day.
    I have made tilapia that was drizzled with olive oil and dipped in Parmesan cheese and baked. That was really good.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Try cooking some fish like salmon rare or or medium rare. To me it tastes better, fresh not like can. The same goes for tuna. I like it better seared still pink in the middle. Tastes so different from canned tuna. But don't discount canned fish. You can make some great dishes with it too. Tilapia is a mild fish it pairs well with many different sauces. I second the suggestion of fish tacos. Here is a link to some fish recipes on my blog:

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/search/label/Fish

Here is another recipe:
    tasteofhome.com/recipes/tomato-artichoke-tilapia
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    I take a piece of frozen salmon and lay it on a bed of fresh spinach and put lemon juice on it and bake in oven until salmon is done. Spinach gets nice and wilted. It's yummy
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    tuna steaks are outstanding. as is swordfish.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Fish is yucky. If you don't like, it won't matter how if you eat it in a house, or with a mouse, or battered and fried by your spouse. Go back to Costco and buy their fish oil and one of their gigantic pepperoni pizzas and eat those instead.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I recently posted this for someone else, I'll leave here, too. It's the easiest, tasty salmon recipe I've ever tried. And salmon is one of my least favorite kinds of fish! We had a pound and a half of salmon. I mixed half a cup of brown sugar, a tablespoon of chilli powder, a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of pepper together in a bowl. Lined a baking sheet with foil, topped the salmon with a generous layer of the spice mix (i used most of it, but not all), baked in a preheated oven (400 degrees) for 13-15 minutes. So easy, and so good.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Sagenettle wrote: »
    So, I've never been a fish person. I've tried countless times over the years to like cooked salmon and I always just hate it (with the exception of one time ever that has never since been repeated). But, logically I realize that fish can be very healthy for you, so I'd love some tried-and-true recipes for preparing fish. Searching online for recipes never goes that well for me because there are just so many and I get overwhelmed. I have a Costco sized bag of frozen mahi-mahi filets in my freezer as we speak and I really want to give enjoying fish another valiant try. Any suggestions welcome and appreciated!!!

That's because salmon is icky. Try basa, tilapia, and shellfish (shrimp, crab, lobster, scallop). They're much more mild. I've never had mahi-mahi but maybe it's a regional issue.