Gluten Free? Looking for Friends and food ideas

Replies

• catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    ToddPa12 wrote: »
    My wife was diagnosed with Celiacs last year and it's been a challenge, so my sympathy goes out to you. We have a number of recipes and foods that we compiled from family members who also have food allergies.

Pending on your allergy severity, you may also have to watch makeup as well. My wife found that she wasn't getting much better after changing her diet only to find out that makeup also contains gluten products in them. she changed her makeup and she has been pretty much symptom free for over 6 months now.

Also don't be afraid that you may gain some weight after the diet change as your system was not soaking up the nutrients it needed through small intestines. Most Gluten free products also seem to carry more calories being made from rice flour, etc.

Just a little FYI so you're not too shocked. Good luck on your journey!

Makeup, shampoo, conditioners, body and bath lotions, chapsticks, soap all have to be checked....and what your significant other is using makes a difference, as well. And don't forget vitamins and medications. It's difficult sometimes, but worth it to be careful.
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    edited January 2015
    I live in the Uk and I choose to not eat gluten as it makes me feel terrible. Headaches (migraines), bloating, stabbing stomach pain, diarrhea, skin rashes and I feel lethargic . I've been tested for celiacs disease twice (blood test) and both times have been found negative. My doctor now thinks I might just be very sensitive or intolerant to it. So I know some tricks and do / donts when avoiding certain foods. I try my best to eat natural foods that dont contain gluten or make my own, but do buy bread and gluten free oat cakes / porridge. Once you get used to it, I find its not that difficult - but worst part is eating out or going to a friends house for a dinner party..Ive even experienced an Italian restaurant refuse to cook my gluten free pasta that I took with me! :-( But good luck and if you need any help, I'll happily be friends also. To be honest, its a very healthy diet if you can try to avoid eating all the ready made stuff :-)
  • nickelp22
    nickelp22 Posts: 35 Member
    catb58 thank you! I didn't even think about helping my kids in the bath/ shower with their stuff too.

Thanks BabyBelle! I have to say once I began to feel better I can tell already it is worth it! I didn't realize how many things would improve. That is horrible about the restaurant! I have not had great experiences eating out so far. I think I need to do more research before hand before going.
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Im so glad to hear that you are feeling so much better :-) If its any help, I find restaurant chain groups are now becoming a lot better about serving gluten free food. But I would maybe call ahead or plan a backup meal from their menu just in-case that can be easily changed to be gluten free.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    nickelp22 wrote: »
    Hello! I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease and looking for new food ideas and friends. Anyone else gluten free? The rest of my family is not (husband and 2 kids).

Black bean brownies! They're delicious and if you serve them hot you can hardly tell the difference! NO gluten :)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-brownies/

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis...I have Type I diabetes and diseases that affect nutrition are always tough. :(
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    ToddPa12 wrote: »
    My wife was diagnosed with Celiacs last year and it's been a challenge, so my sympathy goes out to you. We have a number of recipes and foods that we compiled from family members who also have food allergies.

Pending on your allergy severity, you may also have to watch makeup as well. My wife found that she wasn't getting much better after changing her diet only to find out that makeup also contains gluten products in them. she changed her makeup and she has been pretty much symptom free for over 6 months now.

Also don't be afraid that you may gain some weight after the diet change as your system was not soaking up the nutrients it needed through small intestines. Most Gluten free products also seem to carry more calories being made from rice flour, etc.

Just a little FYI so you're not too shocked. Good luck on your journey!

Oh yes! I had totally forgot that part! I was having crazy reactions and it turned out it was my new mascara that had wheat protein in it.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Hi - my diary is open and I eat gluten free due to coeliacs. I tend to cook most things from scratch and the only things I tend to eat that are 'gluten free' food are bread and pasta.

My diary is also free from soya, eggs, diary and sunflower products to to allergies too.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    I've been GF for over a decade. (and dairy free for about 2 years). Looks like you've got plenty of good advice, but feel free to add me/message with any questions that come up :)
  • weavernv
    weavernv Posts: 1,555 Member
    Eating out: Outback and PF changs. PF changs has a seperate mini kitchen for their Gluten Free customers that they keep the food seperate AND they have gluten free soy sauce. Outback has a huge gluten free menu. Red Robins in many locations have a gluten free bun. In many locations they fry their fries in a seperate frier (you have to ask if they do though). Dominoes has a gluten free pizza, but frankly I wouldn't do it for Celiac Disease. I am only a sensitive and not that sensitive. They have flour EVERYWHERE in their store. There are days that I wouldn't do Dominoes. Sometimes I can tolerate them. Usually I go to BJ's Brewery where they make their Gluten Free Pizza seperately (They are a chain, see if they have one in your area - They are AWESOME).

I like canyon house bakery bread when I choose to eat bread. For pasta I like Tinkyada. To me they taste closest to the real thing. When I can find it, (I found it at a website) I use Better Batter flour. I need to find the darn website again. It was in a five pound box and lasted me forever. Like most everyone else I prefere to cook from fresh, however with little room in my fridge I also use a lot of frozen vegies. I read labels like a fiend. We eat a lot of stir fry since it's easy and very low calorie. San J soy sauce is our go to since it's gluten free and MSG free (I get migraines from MSG). Feel free to friend me and ask me anything. I'm not Celiac, but I've been doing this for a couple of years. I have a few different food sensitivities, so I've learned to avoid things.
  • GemmaM_x
    GemmaM_x Posts: 324 Member
    Do you guys ever get a reaction and assume it was from something you had but can't trace it back? I ate at the work caf today and I got sick after I am wondering if they weren't really gluten free.

I do occasionally. I get a similar gluten-y reaction with lots of lactose. I've found since being GF that my body can't currently tolerate large doses of lactose. Anything more than one latte or ice-cream can make be feel a bit ill.

Apparently it's a fairly common issue while your small intestine is repairing itself.

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Gluten free pasta, bread, and cereals have sooooo little fiber I am having trouble getting to half the amount of fiber I used to eat. Any suggestions?
  • Get your fiber from fruits and vegetables instead! Instead of GF pasta, try zucchini noodles, etc.
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Hi! I've been gluten free for a little over a year. I'm not celiac but I have another autoimmune disease and my doc recommended that I avoid gluten. I find it's just easier to eat a mostly unprocessed diet...fewer worries and hidden ingredients. Also, a lot of GF replacement foods are expensive and very processed). That being said, I do have a few GF food favorites (brown rice pasta and GF flour mixes). I'd like to recommend a free app that I use to find restaurants while I'm traveling. It's called "Find Me Gluten Free" and it lists restaurants with GF menus in your area. Wishing you the best on your journey and with your health!!!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    I'm gluten free by choice (self-diagnosed sensitivity). Feel free to add me.
  • alc212
    alc212 Posts: 124 Member
    Meats, eggs and fruit and veg are your new friends. I've been gluten free (intolerant) for around ten years and once you get used to it, it's easier than it seems. Plenty of substitutes plus on the upside it makes it easier to say no to so many things that aren't good for us to have too much of anyway!
    Feel free to add me, my diary is open to friends.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    All this cold weather is making me crave some gluten free tres leches! It's amazing! Lots of great recipes on pinterest. I've been making brownies and banana bread that no one even realizes is gluten free.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    MaryCS62 wrote: »
    I don't know where you live, but there is a group that has "Gluten free food expos" at various big cities across the country. We went to one about 4 months after she was diagnosed. It cost about $20 each, but they had food demonstrations and all kinds of vendors with samples, which helped weed out the good from the okay and the truly bad :smile: ! She got to try a lot of different foods without having to buy whole packages.
    If you can get to one of those, it might be helpful.

That sounds awesome I am in the North East US. I am not far from some larger cities so I should look in to that.
    I went to one in Philadelphia, but that was a few years ago.
  • nickelp22
    I don't know where you live, but there is a group that has "Gluten free food expos" at various big cities across the country. We went to one about 4 months after she was diagnosed. It cost about $20 each, but they had food demonstrations and all kinds of vendors with samples, which helped weed out the good from the okay and the truly bad :smile: ! She got to try a lot of different foods without having to buy whole packages.
    If you can get to one of those, it might be helpful.

That sounds awesome I am in the North East US. I am not far from some larger cities so I should look in to that.
    I went to one in Philadelphia, but that was a few years ago.

Oh cool!
  • nickelp22
    SuggaD wrote: »
    All this cold weather is making me crave some gluten free tres leches! It's amazing! Lots of great recipes on pinterest. I've been making brownies and banana bread that no one even realizes is gluten free.
    Oh wow that is good to know I never look at Pinterest for food ideas and I we have to start.
  • nickelp22
    azure7 wrote: »
    Hi! I've been gluten free for a little over a year. I'm not celiac but I have another autoimmune disease and my doc recommended that I avoid gluten. I find it's just easier to eat a mostly unprocessed diet...fewer worries and hidden ingredients. Also, a lot of GF replacement foods are expensive and very processed). That being said, I do have a few GF food favorites (brown rice pasta and GF flour mixes). I'd like to recommend a free app that I use to find restaurants while I'm traveling. It's called "Find Me Gluten Free" and it lists restaurants with GF menus in your area. Wishing you the best on your journey and with your health!!!
    Many thanks ! I travel for work so this will be very helpful!