Anyone ever feel

like it's never going to happen...lately I've been googling is my diet worth it, any tips to counter these thoughts would be much appreciated. I'm finding it difficult as I'm feeling quite isolated, when I explain to friends I'm trying to lose weight they just brush it off as a phase, it's hard not to get swept into that and think ah well what's the point...

Replies

• chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Whatever you do dont give up...its not a phase its a lifestyle change...we all hit plateaus and get caught up on the main goal...give yourself some small short term goals instead of focusing on the end product...you'll burn yourself out quick doing that.some people it takes years to get where they want to be,all the little goals will compile to the big one...good luck
  • keepmepostedx
    keepmepostedx Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks that's really helpful, I think I'm going to try and focus more on daily goals, just like you say hopefully they'll all add up in the end x
  • chuck636
    Or do one that may take 2 weeks or maybe a month...mine right now for instance is push my final mile on my 3 mile run to 7 mph...small stupid goal but it gives me something to work at
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Honestly, if you're feeling that way then maybe what you're doing isn't very sustainable. Are you cutting too much out? Avoiding any kinds of restaurant meals or demonizing this or that food by saying... "That's not allowed on my diet!"?

If you are... Then it really might be just a phase, because everyone gets sick of eating "diet food" after a while, and they want to go back to "eating normally" like everyone else.

I would say to focus less on the "diet" aspect of it, and try to focus more on just learning healthier habits and helping yourself engrave them permanently into your brain ;) By healthier habits, I mean things like:
    • Yes, go to that restaurant with friends. BUT, choose a healthier meal MOST of the time. There's nothing wrong with ordering something that you really want to try sometimes, just don't make it a habit!
    • Yes, eat a cookie. Just don't eat the whole tray/box/whatever.
    • Bring your own lunches/healthier foods with you to work/school if you can... So you won't always be dependent on what's available
    • Prep food once a week if you're often on the go... Freeze into portions and you have quick meals for days when you're harried, late, sick, or just feeling lazy!

I've "fallen off the wagon" a lot of times... And I have to say that it's just the HABITS that I've learned along the way, the ones that developed a new me and a new mindset, that bring me naturally back to my healthier lifestyle.

TL; DR - Stop thinking about it as a diet, develop good habits, and it will get easier.

Sorry about the novel! All the best :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    sign up for a race. something just outside your comfort zone, like a 5k or 10k. when you cross the finish line and get that t-shirt and/or medal, you'll know it's worth it.
  • chuck636
    sign up for a race. something just outside your comfort zone, like a 5k or 10k. when you cross the finish line and get that t-shirt and/or medal, you'll know it's worth it.

That's a great idea!
  • keepmepostedx
    That's a good plan, achieved 5k last year and it did make me feel great, off to search for a 10k x

• keepmepostedx
    Ps thanks feeling better already!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Ps thanks feeling better already!

39bee4f33728e1f54402d858540d373c-weekend-update-high-five.gif
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Take the time to see why you want to lose weight and write it down where you can see.

Take each day as it comes and if you have a bad day rememeber that tomorrow is another day and you only fail if you give up.
  • arsc02
    arsc02 Posts: 21 Member
    I would say to focus less on the "diet" aspect of it, and try to focus more on just learning healthier habits and helping yourself engrave them permanently into your brain ;) By healthier habits, I mean things like:
    • Yes, go to that restaurant with friends. BUT, choose a healthier meal MOST of the time. There's nothing wrong with ordering something that you really want to try sometimes, just don't make it a habit!
    • Yes, eat a cookie. Just don't eat the whole tray/box/whatever.
    • Bring your own lunches/healthier foods with you to work/school if you can... So you won't always be dependent on what's available
    • Prep food once a week if you're often on the go... Freeze into portions and you have quick meals for days when you're harried, late, sick, or just feeling lazy!

These are very good points and I totally agree. I say I'm not dieting I'm changing to a healthier lifestyle. My starting goal is 10k steps a day and a loss of at least 2 lb a week.

You are not alone you have all of us here to talk to and vent when needed :-) good luck and keep going.