I am so ashamed of myself...

Help, I have done something I am really ashamed of. I just sat and ate so much chocolate and sweets left over from Christmas. I now feel really sick and ashamed of what I have done. I haven't even logged them as I know it was really bad. I haven't even had dinner yet and supposed to be having roast pork, which I can't avoid eating as mother in law is coming. Do I just write today off and start again tomorrow?

Replies

• corbinskiii
    corbinskiii Posts: 135 Member
    Learn from it and move on. Don't dwell on it. One time won't throw you off track the way one salad won't make you skinny. If you have issues with binge eating (like me) binge eat veggies and try to get to the source of why you do it.
  • abbymercer1
    abbymercer1 Posts: 28 Member
    I am seriously crying here, why do I do it to myself? :(
  • TheEats
    TheEats Posts: 49 Member
    You do not write any day "off". You log and move on. Food is not shameful, even chocolate. Remember how this made you feel in your body - sugar rush and following crash and all bodily discomfort following, perhaps even put a note in your food diary to ensure you do not forget next time you feel like doing something similar.

Eat your roast dinner, but log it as well, and go for a long and brisk walk this evening. Think positively about yourself, remind yourself that eating unhealthy -occasionally- is not what got you to your current weight and look forward to the nutritious food you will be filling up on next week.

Good luck! :)
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    edited January 2015
    Do some light cardio if you'd like, and maybe have a bath. Usually that makes me feel better. Everyone loses themselves from time to time, and sometimes it's easy to just keep eating because, hey, food is good. If you're feeling too sick for dinner, try to just have a bit or have something lighter. Logging will keep you honest, so if you can go back and log it I would. If not, it's not the end of the world. Tomorrow is a new day, stay positive and don't restrict yourself :)
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    No shame! We all stumble. I would log it to see the damage done, and start again tomorrow.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Start again tomorrow. Don't beat yourself up, just forget. Tomorrow is a new day :)
  • tiffanycompton33
    tiffanycompton33 Posts: 56 Member
    Don't beat yourself up about it. If you feel actually sick take an alka seltzer or something then go for a nice long walk before dinner. Load up on pork and veggies (and maybe pass up the rolls with butter and sweets if you really did eat that much). No one is perfect but if you start again tomorrow you might get in a habit of not being perfect followed by giving up. Live for today! I never eat right on X-mas but this year I went for a walk and drank mostly water. It was just a little bit better than most years and I didn't gain any weight this holiday.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    I am seriously crying here, why do I do it to myself? :(

Just eat mostly pork and veg and start over tomorrow. Next time, think about how you felt today. No biggie.
  • jke78
    jke78 Posts: 59 Member
    Well, might as well enjoy the rest of the day, am I right? In the future it is better to curb your impulses before they start. Come up with coping strategies ahead of time so you are prepared before weakness hits. I had a bad night last night, did well ALL day, even through my kid's birthday party. Then my wonderful brother-in-law brought pizza right before my evening snack. It wasn't his fault, it was mine but I didn't dwell on it too much. Doing so just leads to a chain reaction of depression which inevitably leads to failure.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    edited January 2015
    You just gotta pick yourself up and keep going. Nothing is ruined. A lot of people even fit in "cheat meals" or "cheat days." Some divide the total of their overage up by seven days and just cut a little bit of calories each day to stay within your deficit for the week. :)

Are you eating enough normally? If you find yourself too hungry most days, maybe you should up your calorie goal.

ETA: fixed typo
  • mrsjeffreyp
    mrsjeffreyp Posts: 17 Member
    Sometimes things like this just happen. Emotions, cravings, weakness . . . God gives us a new day every 24 hours. Start fresh and yes, you will have days like this. Yesterday I was so hungry for Chinese and my calories were over my goal. But today I am back at it and striving to do my best. Do not beat yourself up over this. Enjoy today.
  • sciberrasjjj
    sciberrasjjj Posts: 12 Member
    I love everyone's caring words and advise. Well said.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Log it and move on.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Help, I have done something I am really ashamed of. I just sat and ate so much chocolate and sweets left over from Christmas. I now feel really sick and ashamed of what I have done. I haven't even logged them as I know it was really bad. I haven't even had dinner yet and supposed to be having roast pork, which I can't avoid eating as mother in law is coming. Do I just write today off and start again tomorrow?

Log it and move on. Not logging it doesn't mean it didn't happen.
    Take smaller portions at dinner if you feel like you can eat anything.
    Get some exercise later if it would make you feel better.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Meh. Blowouts happen. Mine tend to happen with Delivery Pizza, but if sweets are your thing...

The important part is to not make it an excuse for permanently throwing in the towel. One day is no reason to give up completely.

Keep Calm and Carry On.
  • ljs385
    ljs385 Posts: 44 Member
    edited January 2015
    I'd still log it. It may put you off doing it again once you've seen the results.
    No point crying over it though. It's done, live and learn. Go for the walk and try to stay positive. One day overeating won't undo all your work, it's when you keep over eating that the damage happens.
  • abbymercer1
    Thank you all. I have done extra veggies and less potato for dinner so going to go for a walk now before the family get home. No dessert for me tonight. :) Will definitely start again tomorrow and I might even get a swim in tonight too. :)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    1. Eating is nothing about which you should be feeling shame. Seriously. It was a bunch of damn candy and has nothing to do with your moral rectitude. Get a grip.
    2. Log it. LOOOGGGG ITTTT. You cannot get good results from bad data. (I used to think that I had to eat fewer than 1200 calories and exercise like mad to lose weight. My mistake was never logging when I went over. Seriously, log it. You'll have a much clearer idea of what your body really needs and in the long run you won't WANT to go over as often because you're taking in enough while still losing weight.

If there is anything that makes me furious about our cultural attitudes towards weight, it is instilling this idiotic sense of shame around eating -- even food you might not necessarily "need" to survive.

You're okay. You're a decent person and do not need to feel ashamed. You made a short term choice that was not in harmony with a long term goal. We all do it sometimes. Just look at it clinically, log it and move on. Getting tied up in knots about it is not going to help you do better, but is going to increase furtive and uncontrolled behavior.
  • abbymercer1
    Oh it definitely has been logged, that is something I will do. It happened so it needs to be logged. I am not in denial, I know it was wrong but I just need to brush myself off and get back on the horse. :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Log it and move on.

^This.