Help!! Fitbit One giving me A LOT less calories burned than the Flex!

Hi Fitbit One users,

I recently got a Fitbit One, Had two Flex' but there was a problem with both over time and I was sent the One instead which I was delighted with.

My issue is this, when the Flex previously had me showing an average TDEE of 2300. The One is only showing me a max of 2000! thats quite the difference and I wonder what on earth is up.

I am very active and have used online calculators before so know that the Flex was actually pretty spot on for me.

Yesterday I did 22000 steps, 60 of those were active, ie jogged yet it showed me only having a TDEE of 2067! In other words it only gave me 400 calories for all that activity! seriously!!??!! A few weeks ago my Flex would have shown me as having a TDEE of 2600 after a day of that much activity.

What gives? and what can I do to change it? I feel mentally as if I'm always going over my calories! yet I know I'm not. I know I can maintain on 2100 calories.

Can someone help please? thanks in advance :)

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Since calories is based on steps and distance - what was the difference in steps and distance?

Did the weight get correctly lowered upon starting used of the One?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited January 2015
    heybales wrote: »
    Since calories is based on steps and distance - what was the difference in steps and distance?

My stats were set at the same as using same fitbit account.

The distance and steps are the same as I am consistent at doing average 17k a day. The cal burn is my issue.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Today its showing a better number of calories burned after my morning run (324 cals for 30 mins strength and 40 mins run at 5mph) so perhaps it is sorting itself? I read another post where someone mentioned that it takes time for Fitbit to work out a regular personal pattern - perhaps this is the case. I have my Fitbit One 7 days.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    As the day draws to a close all of a sudden all is ok...pretty much anyway! Cal burn more acceptable and TDEE 2100 for 17000 steps, closer to Flex total but still short by 200 but still ok.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    I notice when I went from the zip to the charge hr it took several days to become "accurate" with my steps and calorie burn. I take it as a learning curve
  • heybales
    The only time there is learning (and there is no leaning involved) - is when Calorie estimation is enabled, it looks at historical records to start out what it thinks your burn today, and takes deficit for eating goal.
    - So it is a matter of averages, not really learning. As you'll have a big shock on a weekend that doesn't watch the weekdays. Unless they have improved that now, which wouldn't be hard to do at all. Just different averages.

Until a sync proves what the steps and calories burned are up to then, that estimate is given to MFP too through the day.
  • heybales
    heybales wrote: »

My stats were set at the same as using same fitbit account.

The distance and steps are the same as I am consistent at doing average 17k a day. The cal burn is my issue.

I was aware the calorie burn was the issue, but guess what it's based on - steps and distance.

Since that is start of math for calories, need to confirm that matches up first.

But glad it's getting better, the end of the day with 200 off could be those steps and distance though, because 200 cal for the whole day wouldn't be that much difference seen, but some.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Thanks for your help @heybales :) all is ok with it, might have been the first weeks data throwing it off but I am happy to report it showing a nice TDEE for me now, the same as the Flex gave me.

Ruth
  • heybales
    May not seem like much to some when they see that calorie level so much higher than 1200 - but good grief, 200 is cup of wine and a small treat daily!